Very slow response

This is only in regards to the ZSE40 Zooz 4-in-1 sensor:

The driver only works for V2 of the 500 series device (and 700 series), I am not sure which one you have. You can tell by the firmware version, I think the V2 always has the major version of 32.xx. If you do have that model I would suggest getting the 32.12 firmware which greatly reduces the amount of messages it sends out while there is active motion.

1 Like

if you subscribe to hubitat remote admin, you can temp add another users email to your hub who also has remote admin. That way they can login and take a look for obvious issues. From the thread though it looks like your mesh (powered devices) is a bit week and the end devices (battery powered) are being excessively chatty so is bogging down your network. As others have said, you want to get rid of the SO pairing, that can be tricky if the devices firmware is not up to date. All 700/800 series devices must be able to correctly 'bootstrap' to allow you to chose and most newer 500 series stuff also should. Its the 300 and old firmware 500 device which can be a problem, that is when you need another z-wave stick and the PC controller software to help you get around it.

1 Like

Good afternoon BorrisTheCat,

Does the Hubitat Remote Administration subscription provide online assistance from the Hubitat technical staff, does it also enable the Hubitat technical staff to access, review and correct issues found on the users Hub.

Thanks
Dom

No.

No.

However, if there are issues with your hub, you can ask @support_team to access and view the engineering logs from your hub to determine if they reveal the source of the issue. And you can do this without any premium Hubitat subscriptions.

3 Likes

As @aaiyar said absolutely not, no. It's designed for you to be able to remote admin to your hub, but as there are some members who provide Hubitat as part of a full smart home installation and support package. So there are ways to provide support, provided the services are paid for.

As a whole though it's a case of following the guides, using equipment which is on the compatible list and most of all not rushing. Systems like this are DIY and your dealing with mesh networks which as a whole are very easy and simple to use, it's just people assume a lot of things and head down a bad path. The biggest issue tends to be when people come from other systems and it's not that one is better than the other, it's that when you built your other system you likely started small. So then when you move to another you want what you had before straight away.
This tends to make people rush and do a key area, that area might not be close to the hub. So the guides of start a the centre, check each device before moving on are not followed. Some even move their hub around to get things joined which is not recommended.

Is also possible that your old mesh was never great but because it was built slowly it was able to join on the edge of the cliff but worked. On the new system however you dived right off the cliff with no ropes.

Then you have reliability issues are are then already on the back foot trying to retrospectively fix a mesh, ZigBee that's not a issue z-wave however is a nightmare at that point.

1 Like

Thanks aaiyar and Boris the Cat.
You are both right, in the sense that tackling with a new system while coming from a different one, one does have a tendency to compare apples to oranges.

The issue I have, I guess is the unfamiliarity of a new system, I don't know if what I have done is correct or not, I have to assume that any problem occuring is due to my wrongdoing, I can't check or do not have the tools to check what I am doing wrong or what I have done wrong.

There is a very strong possibility that the mesh is unstable and incorrectly configured, but I don't know where to check and how to check it, and what I should expect, I'm like a fisherman with all the fancy equipment but no bait, I can fish all day but will never catch anything lol.

Dom

1 Like

The thing is a few great guys here looked at your zwave information you posted and gave great sound advice.

S0 security has some very big issues. One of then is the extream additional load they put on you network in a few different ways. I remeber reading at one point it basically translate to 3 times the load on your Zwave network. That can be a big pill to swallow. Only devices that absolutely have to have security should use it if there only option is S0

Then your tables show allot of devices with no routes. That is a hige problem. What that means is that devices think they have more routes, bit the end up being dead ends. This basically just causes events and communications to go into lala land and never mean anything.

The problem is that it isn't always easy to get rid of ghost devices with bad routes. Sometimes it is just a matter of powering them off and then doing a refresh and remove from the zwave setting page. Sometimes it requires a seperate zwave stick and a zwave SDK to remove them. The good news is that there are good guides here for both paths.

For a reliability perspective almost all of my devices are Ring and Zooz. I have a few Aeotec as well. I also have all Zwave Plus devices and anything new is Zwave 700 if i can find it.

1 Like

mavrrick58,

I have managed to resolve the routing issue, now I need to remove the S0, security issue from my devices.

That could possibly be the problem, specially if you consider that translate to 3 times the load on your Zwave network.

So how do I remove those pesky little critters.

Dom

The simplest way would be pair non-barrier devices using a secondary controller. Many people use PC Controller from SiLabs with a USB z-wave stick. I have been using an Aeon Labs Minimote.

1 Like

OK, I have a minimote, so what do I do next.
Dom

1. Exclude all your non-barrier S0 devices. You should do this using the Hubitat.
  2. Pair minimote to hubitat
  3. Pair device to minimote
  4. Reboot hubitat (new device will not show up in the zwave list otherwise)
  5. Click the DISCOVER button on the zwave details page and hit a button on the device paired. For sensors, just trigger the sensor.
4 Likes

@poordom.dv Can you post your current z-wave details page to show us what you cleaned up?

2 Likes

Good afternoon Rick, see attached current z-wave details page.

![page 3|690x366]

Dom

Your Z-Wave network is not in a good state. Nearly half of the devices are not showing a routes.

2 Likes

Good Afternoon mavrrick58,

For some crazy reason, I'll check the Z-Wave detail page, will show 99% of the Z-Wave devices show a route.

I can check a day or so later 50% of the routes have disappeared, I'm going to have to stay away from my bottle Scotch.

I will try using the Silicon Lab's Simplicity Studio next to see what the hell is going on.

Dom

This missing route thing is not strictly correct. When you reboot the routes will disappear. If they don't return within a reasonable period of time (based on sleep time for battery powered devices) then it can be a sign of a issue.

The biggest ones to look for are when there is nothing in device, or a discover. Which the OP does have that's what needs to be fixed along with the SOs.

2 Likes

Have you done a reboot between this?

Got it, because I will reboot from time to time in order to make sure that everything has been saved.

From what I can see, this is wrong, I just find it peculiar that after entering stuff in the controller, that it is automatically saved, do people just leave their software active?

Dom

You really shouldn't need to do reboots hardly at all. I only reboot mine during the firmware applies and when i noticed certain strange conditions. Basically look at the zwave page and go trigger each device that doesn't have a route showing. You should see routes show up in that page after that. It happens so quickly on mind i don't generally think about the fact some activity for the device is needed to show the route.

Frequent reboots could also possibly make it hard for your mesh networks to settle in on good routes.

2 Likes

The hub software? Yeah you should never really need to do a reboot. Only time I do is during a firmware update which it does a reboot as part of it. I only do a shutdown and down power after something massive like the z-wave firmware update.

3 Likes