Very new to Hubitat. As in, VERY new. Questions about dashboards

This works perfectly! Thanks!

1 Like

So, I am wondering about the lights. Now, you can go into a specific light and set everything so that that light gets the color that is the result of the settings I gave it. But, it only remembers the color it last was.

So, if I unplug the light, and plug it in again (these are all Hue lights) it turns bright white, and I have to go into the settings all over again.

Now, I have tiles for every light, and I can use those to turn the lights on and off, and when I turn a light on, as long as I did not unplug it in between, it gets the same color it was before I turned it off. That's great.

However, I also have a tile for the complete room. In this case those are 4 lights. If I press that button, all 4 lights turn off but when I turn them on again using that same 'room button', the lights are all an ugly white color instead of a nice yellowish color.

How can I make it so that that 'room tile' turns the lights on to the color I want, instead of the ugly white color?

Also, completely different subject. I have a dashboard that is showing me the usages of several power plugs. Now, As you can see here, the plug for 'PC' is acting strange:

It's giving a weird readout. Now, i can 'reset' the readings', and it turns 0 again, but only for a little while, then it goes right back to this weird reading. The other plugs do not show this behaviour, except for the 'NAS & printer' plug. Both are on the attic, so it could be the distance to the HE, but then again, why is the power usage (for PC in screenshot: 189.12) not 'corrupted'?

Both plugs are NeoCoolcam wall plugs. On the 1st floor, I have placed a Fibaro wall plug a couple of minutes ago that I'm hoping is going to start acting as a router for the attic ones within 24 hours, but still, I can turn on/off the attic ones, so they are reachable, so I don't understand the strange readings?

Looks like the value is overflowing (getting too large for the variable type) inside the driver. What driver are you using?

I don't know, how can I check that?

If you go to the device page, about mid-way down you'll find the Device Information section, in the right hand column is a drop down that is labeled Type - it will contain the name of the driver being used.

Is the button turning a group, a scene or ???

When you add those plugs, they are recognized as 'device'. I changed that to NeoCoolcam power plug, because that's what it is? (and I had to because as 'device', you can not interact with the plug).

It's turning a group, because those lights are all in the living room, and the tile/button is for 'living room'.

That's a built in driver so we'll ping @bcopeland to see if he has some insight.

May want to look at making a scene and see if that works better for you.

Thank you. Also, maybe this is worth mentioning, I don't know. I've added these 2 plugs today. Also, the other ones you see in the screenshot, I have added earlier AND, they are not the same plugs, they are Fibaro Wall Plugs, and they do not show this behaviour.

Another piece of information that's maybe worth giving; when I go into the device itself, you see that weird value:

but then when you press 'refresh', it changes to the actual correct readout, so apparently it IS memorizing the correct value...

Edit 3: apparently, if you DO NOT refresh the plug it sometimes gives the correct reading too. So it flips every now and again between correct value, and then incorrect value.

I'll look into that, because there's still a whole lot that I have to figure out. I was just glad to get this working, but changing the color everytime gets real annoying real fast. :slight_smile:

Right, so, since those incorrect readings of the Neo Coolcam powerplugs annoyed me, and the Fibaro Wall Plugs I had were working correctly, I bought some more Fibaro's to replace the Neo Coolcams. The ones I bought are also v2.

Now I get this:

So this one does not give me ANY reading, so I threw away money. I like Hubitat very much, but things like this make me think back to the days of the old controller where a lot of stuff was very limited, but at least the readouts worked. :pensive:

How do I create a rule that tells me that the washer and/or dryer is in use?

I wanted to do it in 2 steps.
Dryer 1: WHEN power > 3 watts (since it is 0 when it is not in use, and 2.4 when it is turned on but not running) set a variable DRYER IN USE to TRUE.
Dryer 2: WHEN variable DRYER in USE is TRUE, send notification to my phone.

That was the easiest I could think of....in theory.

I can create variable DRYER in use. It's initial value is FALSE. Dryer power goes > 3, then set value to TRUE. I can create that.

However, rule 2 is where the problem lies. I wanted to say that WHEN variable becomes TRUE, send notification to my phone. However, I am unable to use that variable getting value TRUE as a trigger to send the notification.

What am I doing wrong here?

I created 2 variables. 1 for washer, 1 for dryer.

Then I create rule 1:

. So far so good (I think).

Then I try to create rule 2. So when the variable for dryer becomes TRUE, then send notification. The trigger would be the value of the variable becoming true. However, I am not able to do that...?:

There is no trigger event with a variable as input? There is a Private Boolean, but that's not the same. Yes, my variable is a Boolean, but it's not a PRIVATE Boolean, whatever the difference may be, so I'm kind of stuck.

How do I solve this? Also, if this way is way too complicated and there is a much easier way to do this, please let me know :slight_smile:

Why not just send the notification from rule 1 when power > 3?

I would keep the variable and use it to prevent duplicate notifications. Dryer shouldn't be an issue but happens with my washer between rinse/spin cycles where the power fluctuates.

Trigger: power > 3
Actions:
If running variable is FALSE
THEN
Set running variable to TRUE
Notify Dryer is running

Ah, that stems from my previous controller. In the 'Then' part, if you put 2 actions there, it would do them, regardless of if the other actions were executed. So for instance, if you'd turn on a light, and then send a notification that that light was turned on, I would get the notification regardless of if the light was actually on or not.

That controller wasn't as stable, so sometimes it would miss an action. So what I did there was i chopped it up in 2 parts, just like I'm doing now with the washer/dryer.

So 1st part would be for instance. WHEN time is 19:00, THEN turn on light hallway.
2nd part would be When light hallway is ON AND time is 19:00, then send notification.

This way, the only way I would get the notification is if the light was actually on. If I would do:

WHEN time is 19:00 THEN turn on light hallway AND send notification, even if the light did not turn on, I still got the notification.

Bit of a crappy explanation but I hope you understand. So I did everything with 2 rules, instead of putting it into 1 rule. But, I can try your way, but I think that would give me the same 'issue'. I would guess I would get the notification, even if the variable for some reason was not set to TRUE.

What I want is to use the value TRUE of that variable as input for sending the notification.

Ah I see, very unusual behavior.

The other side of that is what version of Rule Machine are you using. I'm using 5.0 and have the variable capability as a trigger option.

I am using 5.0 also, but I don't see a variable capability as a trigger option? Do you have a screenshot perhaps..?

I should clarify, technical version is 5.1.1

I created a test rule, screenshot below. Capability is called Variable. dailyRun890 is one of my booleans; triggers are true, false, or changed.

where can I check that version. You have way more options than I do. I simply don't have Variable as Trigger Event??

Easiest way that i've found is to Create a New Rule, on the very first page at the bottom shows the Version.