Very new to Hubitat. As in, VERY new. Questions about dashboards

Yes, they are Hue lights, I only have Hue lights. But, they ARE grouped together in the Hue app in a room (livingroom). I imported that group, but yesterday evening, this did not work. But it could be that I turned the lights off already before 22:00h, so that would make sense that they did not turn off.

Anyway, I would've assumed that it sends the 'off' command, regardless the status of the lights, so I kinda expected it would work, but, it didn't. I'll try again tonight.

Rule Machine? That is an app?

Edit: never mind, found it :slight_smile:

It should (some apps can "optimize" and not do this, but I don't think Basic Rules is one). But if you send an "off" command to a light that is already off, then nothing will happen. :slight_smile: So, what makes you you say that this didn't work? (If you're looking at the "Events" page for the device, that will show events, which are separate from commands--even if they are often generated as the result of a command. Something usually has to actually happen. By default, these more or less only show state changes, which would be something like on to off for the "switch" attribute.)

2 Likes

Well, I am trying to figure out why the 'lights have been turned off' notification did not come. I (think I ) created a basic rule that turns off the lights. Then it checks if 1 specific light is off, and when that is off, it should send the notification. At least...let me check... :

When Lamp TV Links turns off ... (translation: Light TV Left)
Notify Rob 'Verlichting is uitgeschakeld (testmodus).' (Translation: Lights are turned off)

But this needs to happen at 22:00h. But yesterday evening, BEFORE it was 22:00 I already turned off those lights. Now, I would've expected that it sent the OFF command anyway, therefor I would've expected to receive a notification. However, that notification did not come.

Now, 2 things can be the reason for that. 1. my logic is incorrect (probably). 2. For some reason the fact that the light was not turned off at 22:00 but was already off at 22:00 is the reason for the notification not triggering.

Obviously, this is not the most efficient way. I understand that. I am just taking baby steps as I already have a controller, with it's own quirks, so I'm trying to start fresh with Hubitat. :slight_smile:

Please post screenshots of your apps/rules, so that we can further assist you with troubleshooting the logic you desire.

That being said, if you want to know whether or not a switch is on or off at 22:00, then you should simply use Rule Machine to do this. For example:

Yes, I have just heard of the existence of Rule Machine. I have now installed that, so that should give me the options for doing what I want. Thank you for your screenshot though, that helps :slight_smile: I will posts screenshots in future posts :slight_smile:

Right. So I'm getting a little pissed off now.

This evening, everything I tried worked. I was happy it did. Then, about a half an hour ago, my modem lost it's connection. Everything lost it's connection, including Hubitat. I rebooted the modem. It got online. I could not receive Hubitat anymore. I rebooted hubitat, and ofcourse it received a different IP.

I openend the app, and could not reach the dashboard anymore. That referred to an (internal) ip adress that was no longer valid. Only option I could think of was to log out of the app, and log in again.

Did so, dashboard was back, but, it also added a new device, being a second phone. The same issue I had at the beginning of this topic. Right. So I removed that 2nd phone. Checked if my original device was still there, and it was. Great. Dashboard worked again. Great. Then I tested my door sensor.

NOTHING. It registers as being opened/closed, I can see that in the dashboard, but the notification does not arrive at my phone anymore. Yes, I removed the SECOND (newly added) device, so the original device, the one that is used in the rule for the notification is still there.

However, my phone does not receive it. I'm kind of getting tired of this. I recreated the rule. I did everything exactly the same. No notification. Why?!

Edit: I went downstairs to let the dog out. I'm standing there, suddenly my phone starts vibrating like crazy. All the sensor-notifications are suddenly pouring in. I don't know how or why, but it did. It was connected to WIFI the whole time, so also wenn I was NOT receiving them.

I just now went upstairs again to test the sensor. It works like it should?! don't understand this at all. Anyway, it's the middle of the night here at the moment, so let me get some sleep and try to figure this out tomorrow.

Make sure your router has a DHCP reservation for your Hubitat hubā€™s IP address.

As for your Android phoneā€™s Hubitat mobile app, I canā€™t really help you much there. There is a thread here in the community that explains how to run the latest beta version of the mobile appā€¦perhaps that might help?

Personally, I use Pushover for my notifications and it works great. I use Life360 for geopresence, and it has been very reliable as well. I started using both of these long before Hubitat even had a mobile phone app, so I really donā€™t depend on it for anything.

3 Likes

Yes, I will add a DHCP reservation, once the network has been overhauled. That's happening in a couple of weeks, but I'm trying stuff out now because I have to migrate everything from my old controller to Hubitat, so I want to test out a couple of things beforehand.

But yes, once new network is up & running, the first thing I'm gonna do is set DHCP reservations. Weirdly though, regarding the notifications, it's still working (which is good, I just don't understand why it stopped working in the first place).

However, the fact that logging out and in again creates a new device is at the root of the issue, because once that 2nd (same) device is there, everything goes haywire.

1. Is it possible to add 'empty tiles' where you can add a title? For instance, an empty tile in which you just put the text 'lights', so you can sort all of your lights below that tile?

2. What app is useful for when you don't want to rely on geofencing alone? Because that takes a couple of minutes to register, sometimes. But by that time, you will have already opened the door, and if your alarm is still active, that's an issue. So I would like something that you can use to make your 'home/away' status be dependent on WIFI connection.

In that case, you can still be in the driveway, geofencing has not noticed that you are 'home' yet but since your phone connects to your WIFI, it is registered as being home, so you can use that as input to turn off the alarm. Does that exist?

Use the Text tile without a device...

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Can you also make that text-tile a different size then the rest of them? I know you can change the size, but then you get this:

See, I have the tile 'deur/raam sensoren' which is 4 tiles wide. But can I:

1. make just that tile less high? because now it is as high as all other tiles, but is it possible to make it half as high as the rest of the tiles? Or is that setting for ALL tiles at once?
  2. Can you change the color of ONE tile? or does that change the color of all tiles?

There's probably a more elegant way to do this, but one way is to take your current tile height and just divide it by 2 -- then make most of your tiles 2 high, and make your header tiles 1 high.

You'll have to go into the CSS but changing an individual tile height and color can normally be done. One note though, the row height and column width are global, so if I make the tile height 50% of normal it will leave white-space in the top or bottom.

1 Like

ah yep, that's a good consideration to remember! Sometimes it's one step forward / one step back when playing around with this stuff.

I see that you have separate dashboards for each category. Let's assume you have a door open. The tile of that door will turn red (I assume). But, you don't see that tile because in order to see it, you need to go into the dashboard _Motion and Doors.

Does that tile _Motion and Doors' also turn red by any chance? Because a door 'in' that tile is open, it also makes the above lying tile (in this case that _Motion and Doors tile) red? So basically you know A door is open (or a motion is detected), but you have to go into that _Motion and Doors tile to see which specific door is open?

The motion and doors tile is just a quick link to the other dashboard, no intelligence in it; there is a notification tile (driver for it is at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/notifyTile.groovy) on the main dashboard that shows me the last 5 notifications and gives me a way of tracking though

After hours or when I'm away I have notifications configured to let me know to look at the motion dashboard; these also go to the tile mentioned above.

Thats interesting. I need to look into that in a couple of weeks. Other question. I have a lot of Xiaomi Aqara (zigbee) door sensors. I have just been reading up on creating a zigbee mesh. I do NOT have poweroutlet-fed zigbee devices. I need some of those.

When i search for something like that, I find Hue wallplugs but will they work? Hue lightbulbs will not work apparently, so I need an alternative. Will hue wallplugs work? If not, will Xiaomi Aqara wallplugs work? I find several brands, but 1. I live in Europe so we might have different brands over here and 2. Apparebtly not all brands are good at repeating, so...what to buy?

I'm in the UK and have approximately 10 motion and door contact sensors from Xiaomi. I'm told that IKEA Tradri outlets act as good repeaters for Xiaomi. I have a couple of Tradfri outlets and none of my Xiaomi sensors have ever dropped off the mesh. Also I believe the Tradfri repeaters are also quite good, however, for 10 euros I'd recommend an outlet!

Do you mean these hideous things...?

These are ugly as hell. But for that price, I'll overlook it. (not the first time I said that :crazy_face: ).