Using siri for voice control of hubitat

switching from Google/Smartthings to hubitat & getting rid of Google. Spouse would like to use siri to control zigbee (sengled) lightbulbs. Mainly turning the lights off and on - I have setup hubitat dashboard to allow spouse to control lights using a web browser. Whats the easiest way to use Siri to control the Zigbee light bulbs (sengled)?

Only way I recall to get Siri involved is by exposing the bulbs via HomeKit.

2 Likes

You can use HomeBridge running on an always on ‘server’ in your house, like a Raspberry Pi. There are two community integrations for Hubitat to work with HomeBridge, and consequently Apple HomeKit. I use @dan.t ’s MakerAPI HomeBridge Plug-in and it has been extremely reliable.

The other integration is from @tonesto7 and is also popular.

3 Likes

Like @ogiewon, I too use Maker API + Homebridge to expose my Hubitat devices to Homekit. Apart from the voice control, the added benefit is that this also allows control of devices outside of your home. HE dashboards also let you do that, but I personally prefer the Apple Home interface.

My Homebridge is installed on a Raspberry Pi4 and uses the pre-built Homebridge image

Link to the image is towards the bottom of the page.

3 Likes

In addition to having an always on server to run Homebridge (as indicated by @ogiewon), if your wife would like to use Siri on her phone when she is away from the house, you will need an always on Home hub - like an iPad, an AppleTV, or a HomePod (or HomePod mini).

It's a bit time consuming but you can just use Siri automations and setup end point triggers. I do this for my garage doors.

You set up a Siri automation to turn on light. That automation calls the URL for your end point trigger for your turn on light rule in HE. You would have to set up a on and off automation, or you could setup a automation that toggles the light. IF you have a bunch of lights the options above may be better.

2 Likes

Do the following - might sound long winded, but it's a one time task

1. Get a Raspberry Pi
  2. Install a Homekit version of the O/S - something like HOOBS (https://hoobs.com/product/hoobs-image/) - you can download it for free. Use the Balena etcher app to install the image to an SD card for the Pi
  3. Give HOOBS a Static IP on your router
  4. Install the MakerApi Plugin on Hubitat - generate the access token for the plugin - to be used on HOOBS
    4.a. Select/expose the devices you want to use via Siri
  5. Install Hubitat MakerAPI plugin on HOOBS - follow the instructions on the plugin
  6. Create and add rooms on HOOBS, add devices to the rooms - the devices and room setup will show up the phone as laid out on HOOBS
  7. Scan QR code on HOOBS to the iPhone - all the devices you exposed via the Maker API will show up and you can control them via Siri/voice
  8. Remember to restart/refresh the Hubitat bridge on HOOBS if you expose new devices from Hubitat

If you want the devices available via Siri even when you're not @ home, have a Homepod/Apple TV/iPad that is always on & connected to the same home network
I've been using this setup for sometime now & the responses are always immediate :+1:

3 Likes

Do you have a NAS? I run Homebridge in a docker container running on my Qnap NAS. You can do the same with Synology too. Otherwise you will need a RPi or other device to host Homebridge.

1 Like

I know this is a VERY old thread, but there is an even easier way now. Enable the HomeKit Integration. It's a built in App on modern versions of the Hubitat OS. It's REALLY slick! Thanks Hubitat!!!