Using RM with Alexa

Please point me in the right direction here.
I have "Alexa enabled devices" everywhere.
If I have to, I will plug my ST box back in.
I think that is where I got hung up, with OATH.

This looks very intreging. Especially with some Alexa enhancements that I saw here.
And seem to see in the Rule above.
WoW.

@woodsy what would you like to know?

@bravenel is there a way to have Presence changes? In this rule(which is the one I want to work) it keeps firing every time I open the garage door because I am home. But I only want it to fire when I arrive home and come through the door. That is why I have a delay on the question.

Sorry, got go watch the RAPTORS!!

You might try using a triggered rule instead, this one seems to work well for me for the same purpose you are looking for.

@waynespringer79 that is a good idea! I will try that.

1 Like

@waynespringer79 I tried a Triggered Rule but it didn't work. This is what I have:

Not sure what the issue is. I am wondering if I can put a delay on the Condition of doors open. How long will the Trigger of Presence Arrives stay as such? Any suggestions anyone?

Assuming your iOS device will arrive before you ever open a door..therefore that will always just return false. Your trigger will need to be opening the door. ONE way to do this is to create a virtual switch for your arrival. Possibly called "Jane has arrived" the rule would look like this:

(The delay of 5 min and then off is just in case you ever arrive and never come in the door. It's a failsafe to make sure that switch does get turned off.)

then

that should get you down the right path

The way that rule is written, either door must be open when you arrive for the rule to be true?

I would think you would reverse that with the doors must be closed.

Then on your actions for true wait for event - door open (if the bug has been fixed)

how about just a trigger?

trigger: jane arrives
actions:
wait for event - front door open
speak... etc

1 Like

So are you saying to run it just as a Trigger?

Yup. Your conditions are really just events that you are waiting for.

@bobbles & @jrau272 here is what I have now. The one thing that I am wondering is how long the Presence stays at "Arrives"?
Also, can I have two door sensors in the Wait for Event? Will it fire after either door opens or will it wait for both doors to open?

It’s a trigger, so once it triggers it will wait endlessly until the event happens.

that would be the reason to put “stop actions of This RULE” with a 10 minute delay. that would then give a 10 minute timeout from when the trigger fires.

Does the "Stop Actions" reset the rule then? Last night the rule was going in a loop. It was asking me my question over and over. And it was asking it more than once. It was quite funny actually! What was weird is that even after I paused the rule, it still fired. I finally used the HE Pause by putting the checkmark beside the rule to stop it. Here are the logs:

Not sure why that went into a loop. Looks like Bruce found that bug with wait actions too. Try adding the stop command and update your firmware and see what happens.

Still repeating. Although it will start the playlist. And it doesn't seem to be cancelling the rule even with the cancel in.

Can you show the events for "Jane's iPhone"? Is it pulling one of those arrive/depart/arrive/depart/arrive/depart....loops when it's on the edge of the zone?

Also, your delayed action of Speak on Echo.... won't wait for the delay you have. That is scheduled right at the beginning as happening exactly 2 minutes after the rule fires. I would remove the delayed action and put in an action of delay before the echo speaks. I don't even know if it would wait for the wait command before it since those are all scheduled at the beginning. But that could be causing some of the problems you are seeing.

1 Like

That's a damn good hypothesis. Happens with my phone - I'm on Project Fi near strong Sprint & T-Mo towers. So I use @jwetzel1492's Combined Presence combining geofencing and a presence sensor.

The stop actions command should be the first in the list. You want that timer to start immediately.

Here is the event log for my phone. Seems to only trigger once on arrival and departure. Why would it be repeating the question? @jrau272 I will change the Stop Actions and see what happens.

I changed the Stop Actions to the beginning. It works by asking the question and playing the playlist. However, it still repeats the question over and over and over.