Using Hubitat with Pi GPIO

I am considering migrating my zwave / automation system to Hubitat from Homeseer. I can see how most of this could work easily (rules, scenes etc) but one of the crucial parts of my exisiting system is a electric gate control via a pi with a relay board. Homeseer has a plugin which allows connection to a pi over wifi / lan. It exposes GPIO functions and allows me to trigger a bell (when IR beam is broken), open / close gate and turn on lights.

Is this something Hubitat can do ? Is there a Hubitat App which does the same thing ?

I have seen some posts on this site from 2019 which involve coding. I can code in Python (so I guess Groovy wouldn't be too much of a learning curve) but I'd rather avoid coding if I can.

Thank you
Ian

If I understand your case - there may be several relatively inexpensive products here ( Zooz - The Smartest House ) that could simplify your application and integrate it with Hubitat. This can likely be done with Hubitat rules (no coding).

I'm using Node-RED for Hubitat<->rPi GPIO integrations. See https://nodered.org, and also A Node-Red Introduction for Hubitat Owners .

There is a really nice package of nodes that leverages the built-in Hubitat Maker-API endpoints, see Node-RED nodes for hubitat .

Node-RED has built-in nodes for rPi GPIO, so just about any integration can be implemented by constructing Node-RED flows, after adding these two packages to the Node-RED palette.

Here's a screenshot of my Node-RED palette, so you can see what I'm using for my integrations:

Hope this helps. Warning: Node-RED is intoxicating...

1 Like

There is also a Z-Wave shield for Arduino called the Z-Uno

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if I could impose on your kindness for a few minutes?

Would you be prepared to set out the steps ? I am computer literate: I can code in Python, I have built my own website (Django) etc but..... I have no experience of Hubitat or SmartThings whatso ever. I'm not looking for help in (press this, click that etc) but the main steps involved in getting my pi GPOI to work in Hubitat

Thank you
Ian

Thank you, but I have a working system. I would like to see if I can intergrate it before I buy more hardware.

Good luck!

I will give it a shot this evening. In the meantime, suggest you look over the reference links I sent in the earlier reply. Those are really good sources of the fundamentals needed to set up Node-RED on a Raspberry PI and the Hubitat nodes (i.e., extensions of the Node-RED visual programming environment to Hubitat).

First thing I would do would be to install Node-RED on your rPi - see Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED for instructions. Give it a shot, If successful, the rest is pretty straightforward.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.