[UPDATED] - Weather Switch - Turn on a switch in response to weather

'Cloudiness' is just another attribute to turn on a switch,
Someone asked me to include because their driver supported it.

Weewx/WU doesn't yet I don't think.. need to investigate

Everything is working like a charm. Thank you for the help!

I must be doing something wrong. I'm unable to save the parent or child app as an app. I keep getting an error like this:

Metadata Error: Parent App 'Cobra:Cobra Apps' not found on line 54

This error says you have not installed the Cobra Apps container 1st.

All my apps require that the Cobra Apps container is installed before copying any other parent/child code onto your hub.

http://hubitat.uk/install.htm

Andy

HE newbie here...I read through this very informative thread, and I've gotten the Cobra container and the Weather Switch set up. I do not have PWS, but would like to trigger events based on my local weather. I have created a virtual Weather Station device in HE and have tried to configure it for my local zip code, but it seems to require a Weather Underground API Key that Weather Underground no longer provides. So my question is...How can i get local weather into my HE environment without having a PWS? Thanks!

Thanks @Matthew! I now have my apiux account created and I have my API key from them as well. Do I use that key in the weather underground virtual device in place of the weather underground API key (that doesn't make sense to do if so)? If not, what do I do with the API key? Now that I have the apiux account and the APIUX Weather Driver installed, not sure what my next step is supposed to be. Thanks!

Scratch that. I found it listed in the new Device Type at the bottom of the Type list under User. I'm sure i can find where to use the key there.

Cobra,

When using the latest WU driver 4.1.0. it looks like I'm missing data. Will alerts from the WU driver trigger your Weather Switch APP?

What should the Poll interval limit be set to? 0?

Thank you.

My poll interval is set to 1, Auto poll interval 5 minutes, and auto poll turned on.

Thanks. Will see what happens.

I'm using the Weather Underground driver.. Currently my County is under a flash flood warning and nothing that I see under my virtual device labeled Weather Underground is saying there is.

Which driver reports the alert?

• Weather Underground
    -Weewx

Matt's Weather-Display with External Forecast is reporting the Flash Flood Warning.

Please assist. Thank you.

As you indicate, you need a driver API source that offers Weather Alerts. The old WU API did, but that is no longer is available. The New WU API doesn't offer alerts, APIXU doesn't offer alerts (at least in the free version). Dark Sky does offer Weather Alerts. I do not know if OpenWeatherMap offer alerts?

I'll use yours then. I was wondering if I was missing something. I was thinking Cobra had a solution for WU. Thanks Matt..

They do from what I see.

WU has stopped reporting alerts so Weather Switch or Message Central alerts won’t work with WU atm.
I’m looking at alternatives for this.
I still need to revamp my weewx driver and will look at adding more alternative external sources when I do.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Dark Sky for Matt's Weather Display with External forecast is displaying the Alert.

Can I use the weather switch app along with my Apixu’s api? Also, can you add a valve open/close, in addition to switches in this app?

You can use this app with any weather device that reports the correct attributes (inc Apixu)
I will still support it but this app is quite old now and a lot of the features are available in built-in apps so I’m not developing it at the moment.

Andy

I sure hope you continue to update the app. I use it to turn on colored lights based on the weather event. Warning , Watch, Advisory and Chance of rain. Thank you.

1 Like

I still support the app.
This means I’ll fix any bugs found etc.
It’s just atm I’m working on other things so don’t have much time for additional features etc.

Andy