Unifi connection with Hubitat

Hi,

I am using a UDM as my router and have a 8 port switch connected to the UDM. I have connected my hubitat on one of the ports on the switch. I have set up a separate VLAN and have assigned that VLAN to the port to which my hub is connected. I have installed the LIFX Master app to bring the LIFX integration on the hubitat hub.

Once I click on the app in hub portal, the next page has options menu. The options are:

1. Time between commands (millisecond)
  2. Maximum number of passes
  3. Discovery page refresh interval (seconds)
  4. Device name prefix
  5. IP subnet(s)

Even if I enter the subnet group under the 5th option device discovery only looks under the LAN IP address. The issue I am having is that when I try to discover devices, the app is looking for devices on the LAN IP and not on the VLAN even though that is the port the hub is connected to. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

You're more likely to get a useful answer if your question was posted to this thread:

But I do have a couple questions about your setup. Are your LiFX bulbs in the same VLAN as your Hubitat? And did you reboot your Hubitat after putting it in the VLAN?

Currently the Lifx bulb is not on that VLAN. Yes, I did reboot my hubitat after putting it in the VLAN. The Hubitat's IP address corresponds to the VLAN IP address. Even though the Lifx bulb is not on the VLAN, shouldn't the hubitat look for it on the VLAN since that is where the hubitat is connected to?

Forgive me - I've gotten a little lost in the discussion of LAN ip, VLAN ip, hub ip...

For myself, I run several subnets, vlan-segregated with distinct wifi SSIDs, on a UDM. My hub and lifx bulbs are on the same subnet - so I haven't played with the subnet option for Discovery. Depending on your firewall rules, devices may be able to communicate across subnets -- ex. I can initiate a connection from my phone, on the primary subnet, to my hub, on my IoT subnet -- but IoT can only respond to an open connection, they can't initiate the reverse connection.

Might be useful to use example subnets in your problem statement, e.g. 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x

1 Like

So are your Lifx bulbs connected to your hubitat hub? If so how were you able to connect it? I can give you example of the subnet.

For example, my LAN is on subnet of 192.168.1.x and the VLAN is on the 192.168.2.x. My hub is connected to the 192.168.2.x subnet. But through the Lifx Master app that i installed there is option of device discovery and I don't see any other option. When the device discovery starts, it is only looking for devices on the subnet for 192.168.1.x even though my hub is connected to the 192.168.2.x subnet and does not find any devices.

There is option to put the ip for discovery above.
The question is. Is your hub and lifx bulbs on the same Vlan? If not then you either put them on the same Vlan or make an exception in your firewall so they can see each other.

1 Like

@ravipal

@Navat604 is on the money. To make it simple, why not put the LiFX bulbs and Hubitat on the same subnet.

1 Like

^^^^^ What I do as well.

The whole point of having an IoT VLAN (for me anyway) is that all of my IoT devices are on that VLAN to segregate them from my "personal" stuff (phones/laptops/NAS, etc.). All of my IoT devices (HE, Lutron, Hue, and ST hubs, Google Home, Pi that runs some IoT stuff, etc.) are all connected to my IoT VLAN. Personal devices are allowed to talk to initiate connections to IoT VLAN devices, and IoT VLAN devices are not allowed to initiate any connections to Personal VLAN/devices. Safety first.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.