Unexpected mDNS queries from Hubitat devices

I have noticed that my Hubitat C-8 devices are making unexpected mDNS queries.

Here is an example of some of the queries that I saw with wireshark:

12 0.788177995 192.168.55.11 → 224.0.0.251 MDNS 130 Standard query 0x0000 PTR _airplay._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR Hubitat._hubitat._tcp.local

14 0.791018733 192.168.55.11 → 224.0.0.251 MDNS 127 Standard query 0x0000 PTR _http._tcp.local, "QM" question PTR Hubitat._hubitat._tcp.local

I have not added the Airplay beta built-in application to either hub.

Is it expected that these mDNS requests were being made?

This was causing a problem for me as, these mDNS requests (and the corresponding query responses were being proxied across my VLANS, which was causing a lot of traffic)

I am running platform version 2.3.8.122 on these C-8 Hubitats

The hubs themselves advertise using mDNS - by default the hub will make itself known as hubitat.local. Also used for the HomeKit interface and IIRC HubMesh.

3 Likes

Something is seriously messed up with how Hubitat handles mDNS.

Every hour or so it absolutely floods my network with mDNS requests. So many that it actually overflows and crashes little WLED ESP32s I have setup.

(192.168.88.25 is my C8 Hubitat)

Tagging @gopher.ny, as this sounds like a possible platform issue.

Yeah, this was causing a problem for me as well. So I moved my Hubitats to a separate VLAN, where these queries wouldn't cause a problem.

(I was having a problem where Unifi was relaying these queries to other VLANs which was significantly increasing the traffic on my network)

Any movement on this? Can I disable mDNS somehow? I do not have the option to move my Hubitat to another VLAN.

My Hubitat is crashing my WLEDs with this bug!

Were you able to create a work around for this? Its really frustrating.

I've been having issues for a few months with my ESP32s and finally figured out Hubitat was causing this.

Totally agree. Super frustrating, but nope: this massive networking bug is being ignored. I can't imagine how many other people have this problem but don't have the know-how to figure out that it's their Hubitat causing other devices on their network to crash and reboot.

My resolution a couple weeks ago was to toss my Hubitat and move to Home Assistant.

That's a real bummer. I've been getting all my zwave devices setup and trying to do a dashboard for some basic home control. I don't really want to go start learning HA, but the fact Hubitat's Discord area is so dead is worrisome plus the Dashboards are pretty ugly as a default. Is there an active HA community there?

Because this is the primary communication for Hubitat.

3 Likes

The way I worked around it was to move my hubitats to their own VLAN

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about Discord. Chat rooms are good for a group of devs talking in real-time, but don’t really have sufficient organizational capabilities to make functional community forums. Most orgs, like Hubitat, have forums they put up or sponsor. Some also have Reddit forums. I would look to either of these before Discord.

2 Likes

No, it isn't.

It is being investigated/worked on. I realize they haven't specifically posted on here that it is, but it is being actively worked.

There aren't any update/status to report yet. When there is, they'll do it.

Good luck on your new hub/solution.

5 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. This issue is actively investigated and users can expect a fix in the next platform release. The fix is taking a little longer than expected, so I can understand your frustration.

5 Likes

We do not have an official Discord channel. Maybe we should, but there are no immediate plans for it. This community alone keeps our enginners and users fully engaged.

8 Likes

I had mistakenly assumed the Discord server was official, so that's on me for the confusion. People are really responsive on the forum, which is great.

I hadn't seen anyone say it was actively being worked, so now that I know it makes me feel much better! I look forward to seeing the next release. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Discord server was setup by a community member (@lewis.heidrick), who hasn’t been active lately.

1 Like

It is being investigated/worked on.

Great! Literally the first news of this in the 2 months since it was first reported. I politely tried to inquire about it a couple weeks after and didn't hear anything. :person_shrugging:

My Mom will be pleased -- she's got my hub now. It's great for the less technical.