Ultraloq U-Bolt zwave 700 lock

I just got a message from Ultraloq that not only is the Z-Wave model not part of their Black Friday sale, but the Z-Wave version with the Wi-Fi bridge (needed for remote control) ā€œmay be available in a few monthsā€. So unless Ultraloq works with Hubitat to allow them closer integration (and then Iā€™m assuming we wouldnā€™t need the Wi-Fi bridge) it ainā€™t gonna be any time soon.

:frowning:

From your comment Iā€™d assume you have one. Mine seems to be spamming the logs every 5 mins about the battery percentage!? ā€¦ and thatā€™s a bummer about the contact sensor.

Hmm.. Didnā€™t notice that.. Going to re-include it to test that..

• Incoherent post full of random buzzwords advertising security features: Check!
  • Specifically calling out their use of a terribly insecure algorithm: Check!

I just ordered one, but the fact that they say they're encrypting the password using md5 makes me want to return it before it's even arrived. If you can make a mistake that huge, and then advertise it, I don't trust you to do anything else related to security correctly.

1 Like

I know..right? it's really crazy and very hard to ignore. I'm sure (hoping) it's just a disconnect between marketing and IT but wow... :grimacing:

Well, I have some good news. The lock's documentation says that you can't connect it to a zwave hub until after you've set it up using their app, which exposes you to their bad security practices. Fortunately, that's not true. I suspected that might be the case, as I would think that the z-wave alliance would insist on it for certification.

I was able to successfully set mine up with fingerprints and codes, and no app/cloud functionality, by following their directions to enter "standalone mode", and then using the smartstart QR code to pair. There are also some directions on the zwave alliance product page that show you how to enter pairing mode. Something about holding down the number 5.

So far I've only poked around with the lock by sending and monitoring various zwave commands, but what I've seen so far is a little weird.

For each user code I request from the lock, it returns a user code report (good) which, for numeric codes, contains the actual code (good), and for fingerprints contains some set of bytes that is the same for all fingerprints (uhh...). Worse, the status is always returned as 00 (available) for both the code slots that are occupied and the ones that are unused.

I thought that testing these sorts of things was what the zwave alliance was for, to guarantee that products actually operate according to the spec so that they can be compatible with each other.

The good news is that open/close commands seem to work, and return a mostly-spec-compliant DoorOperationReport message. The door sensor is not exposed via zwave at all, so I didn't even bother to install it.

Maybe they'll fix some of these issues with a firmware update (the device advertizes it supports the firmware update command class), but I'm not holding my breath.

So far I haven't tried to make any changes via zwave, other than sending open/close commands. I don't know if I can delete codes/fingerprints, or add codes via zwave.

At least now it's not reliant on their cloud, which I've poked enough to know that I don't trust it. For instance, when I invited my wife via the app by adding her email address, they sent her an email that just said "download the app and create an account using this email address". No verification code to enter, and the account creation process doesn't validate your email either. It does validate your phone number, so I don't understand why they wouldn't use that for sharing access...

What this means is that somehow, when the lock is in it's app-controlled mode, their cloud contains cryptographic material that can allow a newly created user to unlock my door.

2 Likes

_runaway

Seriously though - thank you for the update!!!

2 Likes

The joy of cloud based products...

"Ultraloq Customers,

There has been an Amazon AWS cloud service outage today which impacts many smart home brands including Ultraloq. We are currently working on this issue.

Remote access, Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT features will be unstable during this meantime. You can still use the lock with Bluetooth, code or fingerprint feature.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have the best day."

2 Likes

I made the plunge and purchased one. Z-wave functionality is there, but is rather minimal. It appears you can lock/unlock and manage users to some degree, and of course get battery level readings.

I hate to say it, but the biggest improvement over their first model that used only Bluetooth (and the optional Wifi hub) is the door open/close sensor. It can be configured so the lock now auto-locks upon the door sensor letting the lock know the door is closed. Also, if you enable the auto-lock after X time feature, it won't try to lock the door when the door isn't closed. A nice feature that came a bit too late for my poor door frame.

It would be nice if the Z-wave functionality could be used to report the door sensor status, but no such luck for now.

I know it's not the best it could be, but I am glad they gave us a Z-wave version at all. Home automation stuff seems to be geared towards cloud, cloud, cloud and continues to be that way, much to our dismay. I can't tell if it's just because that's the easiest for most people to understand ("connect to your wifi and it works like magic!") because it's a chance to harvest data, or a combination of the two.

I just ordered U-Tec Ultraloq Pro Z-Wave lock. (Feb. 12, 2022). I have everything else with no security. Should I also include the Ultraloq with no security so they are all the same or with S2 (or something different?).

Border security devices require security to operate correctly, so S2.

Ty

1 Like

So I just got the Ultraloq Pro Z-Wave and it's been a bit of 2 steps forward and 2 steps back. It was a bit of a pain to set up and for some reason the door sensor wasn't working. But even worse I couldn't get it to show up in Alexa after following all the Hubitat steps re: Alexa and the lock. An hour with the Alex rep. didn't help.

I had tried to disable the Ultraloq app, but that didn't seem to help, so I re-enabled it. I finally got it to work by disabling the Ultraloq app again, and this time I closed Alexa (not just go out of it on my iPhone, but by swiping up) and then restarting Alexa.

As to the door sensor, I think I got it working by mounting the sensor so the word "up" is facing the lock, not outwards, facing me.

Now that seems to be working, but it is locking the door as soon as I shut it and not the 30 seconds the auto-lock is set to. But that is an issue for me an U-Tec.

Of course, being a generic Z-Wave lock, Hubitat is seems to only know if it is locked or not (which should be good enough for routines like if it is after X o'clock and unlocked, lock it.) But would be much better if it knew who opened it so I could do things like if I open it, turn on lights X, but if my daughter opens it, turn on lights Y.

So far (1 night and a day) the fingerprint reader seems to work very quickly and well. I wish I could had more than 2 fingers as I would like it to have my thumb and index finger of both hands. What I plan to do for that is to create a new user for myself and store the other 2 fingerprints there.

I have the auto-unlock on, but it didn't work when I walked the dog around the block, but perhaps I didn't go far enough away. I don't see how to change area for that.

I set something up in Hubitat that if my presence detector (my iPhone) arrives then unlock the door. I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know how far away I have to be for it to know I've left (and therefore knows I've arrived?). Does this look right?

So the good news is that HE sees it and can control it, thatā€™s 80% of the effort. When Iā€™ve had something like this happen, Iā€™ve gone into the Amazon Echo Skill app and removed the device, updated and clicked done. Then go back into the app and re-add it - you should get a message from Alexa at that point telling you the device has been added.

1 Like

I got it to be seen in Alexa by disabling the U-Tec app and then really closing the Alexa app on my iPhone (i.e. going out of it, swiping up to see my open apps, then swiping the Alexa app up from there to remove it from loaded apps). When I went back into Alexa after that it saw the lock.

So right now that #1 issue I have is that it is locking as soon as I shut the door despite having the auto lock time set to 30 seconds (and I tried turning auto lock on and off, and tried changing the auto lock time. I put in a ticket to them and will report back on that).

BTW, it did work to add a new Normal user, (since I don't need Lefty to control it via the app, since I control it via the app as myself) that I called "Lefty" and added my left index finger and left thumb so that I now have 4 fingers I can use (I had used my right index finger and right thumb as myself when it was first set up).

Here is my 1 week update (Feb. 26, 2022). So far I am very happy with it. You need to be a little careful with your placing your finger or thumb on it, and be patient to hold it there for about a second (vs just touching it, which seems to be the normal instinct) but if I do hold it there for that second it seems to virtually always ID me and unlocks the door quite quickly. It also says it can learn and get even better, so we'll see.

The auto-lock seems to be working just fine, but for some reason it seemed to work much, much better when I placed the sensor with the word "up" facing the lock and not out towards me. (But I haven't tried changing it back to the other direction as the look is about the same and I don't want to mess with it as it is working so well.)

BTW, I found out that auto-lock is supposed to lock it instantly and the timer only applies if you unlock it and then don't open the door for X seconds. That seems kind of dumb and unintuitive. Since the timer slider can be set to zero, it seems those who want it to re-lock instantly could do it that way. I reported that to them as a "wish list" item. That said, it hasn't failed to re-auto lock yet and the few times I purposely unlocked it and left it unlocked and the door unopened for a test, it did re-lock, albeit about 2-3 seconds faster than what I set the timer to. So I don't see any need to write a Rule Machine routine to lock it if it isn't locked at a certain time or after being opened after a certain time.

The only thing that seems to not work that great is the auto-unlock. 1) You need to be about 300 meters away for it to see you as "away" and 2) it only unlocked about 1 time out of 5 or 6 times I'm sure I've gone that further away; and 3) you can manually set it to "Away", but I couldn't get it to then unlock when I came back to the lock. But, I can understand why many people wouldn't want to turn on auto-unlock anyways, so for those people that is a non-issue. I probably wouldn't want it on all the time, but I could see wanting to arm it if I came home and knew my hands were going to be full. So, I'll reach out to U-Tec this coming week and see if I can get that resolved. Maybe I'm just not doing it correctly.

I've only used Alexa to lock/unlock the door one time for a test but those worked smoothly and quickly too. Just FYI, unlock requires me to say my pin code.

So, so far so good and I've even got the wife and daughter happy with it as adding their fingerprints was fast and easy and they say it works virtually every time with the first try.

How is the repsonse time to lock and unlock via hubitat?

It's almost immediate for me, way faster than the Schlage lock that it replaced

This looks like a good candidate for a secondary door where I have a generic monoprice lock currently. It eats batteries like crazy!

Is it possible to pair the lock close to the hub then move it to its location? I'm trying to avoid moving the hub around if possible.