Ugh... Out of business or just shortages?

I keep seeing stuff I like dissapearing. 1st Dome (domeha.com) and now NYCE (nycesensors.com) The websites are up, but no one is responding to queries. What other companies are you finding lack of product from? It's kind of disheartening...

Nyce responded to me a few weeks ago when I asked them what’s up with their ceiling sensors? They said they should be in stock on Amazon soon.

3 Likes

They never responded to me... I guess I will keep an eye out. Need a few more. dome is dead I think...

Nyce ceiling motion sensors on Amazon show in stock soon, order now. Last time they came in stock they sold out very fast.

3 Likes

That might have been me buying em up. But I'm all done so you guys can get the next batch of 2 or 3 that show up. But seriously, this industry makes me nervous because everybody is out of stock. Doesn't seem like any companies outside of this hobby are having problems.

There is a worldwide shortage of microchips that has caused difficulty for many electronic manufacturers. It has affected supplies of many devices such as cell phone, computers, video cards, radio receivers, and home automation devices. It is not just the devices that home automation enthusiasts seek. For example, Nvidia 3000 series video cards have been out of stock for months. I understand that even Apple has been affected.

I guess the comments above are good for NYCE, but I have to say I'm also wondering about Dome. I know someone else here has tried to contact them without success, I don't think one of the prolific community Z-Wave driver authors (who seems to have close connections with most vendors) has heard from them in a while, and most/all of their products have been sold out for a long time (over a year?) as new from any source I've been able to find. I noticed because I really did like their DMMS-1 motion sensor, at least as far as Z-Wave sensors go (the bar isn't very high...). The Fibaro looks and works similarly enough (plus it does temperature) but is a bit more expensive than the Dome ever was. Oh, well!

As far as what other companies: CentraLite was this way for a while because they went bankrupt, though I'm not sure if all of their products (certainly some) ever went out of stock everywhere. It looks like most are available now. I'm not sure I've seen them put out any brand new products recently, but I suppose there's no need to change what works--they're many people's favorite Zigbee manufacturer around here (including making the famed Iris v2 sensors).

1 Like

Umm, EVERY car manufacturer has curtailed production because of chip shortages.

3 Likes

True enough but my concern is lack of communication. Especially Dome

1 Like

NYCE did not respond to my requests too but it was a few months ago.. Guess they aren't interested in good customer service/relations unlike a few others (Zooz, Inovelli etc).

Good luck with getting any type of support from them I guess. While I do like their products for the most part they are kinda pricey.

1 Like

IIRC I reached out to nyce directly through Amazon’s messaging system, since their sensors are “sold by” nyce and shipped by Amazon.

They responded fairly quickly (maybe a few days), and were courteous.

I try to assume small companies like this are doing the best they can during difficult times, unless a customer support rep is outright abusive or rude or something (and even then, something as innocuous as a language barrier could have been a contributing issue).

2 Likes

That is good to hear I went through their website so maybe they are missing requests posted there - it can totally happen depending on the website design and who's responsible for reviewing the collected data.

Other small companies don't seem to have that issue though - As I mentioned Zooz and Inovelli are both are very responsive both through various portals/systems including these forums. Very impressive.

NYCE probably has a different focus so am not necessarily suggesting they have to do the same thing.

They have those C4 versions of each of the sensors, I wonder if that’s a bigger focus for them.

1 Like

Lead times are extremely long right now for Servers, Desktops, and Laptops from HP and Dell as well. Chips shortages are impacting most industries right now. High-end gaming video cards are also impossible to find at retail pricing, due to the high demand from crypto-currency miners and the shortage of silicon.

2 Likes

Good point, I forgot about servers. We ordered one a while back for work and it took a month to get.

1 Like

This problem is worldwide, wider and deeper than anyone is letting on.

5 Likes

Not just chip shortages though... We have to replace a garage door, basic design normal size. 12 weeks and still waiting. Ordered a sofa and they quoted 5-6 months. My parents are replacing some windows and the earliest quote so far is November.

So everything across a broad range of stuff is pretty messed up right now.

1 Like

It looks like Amazon shows stock for the siren (last review this month) and the water shutoff (last review last December). The siren is sold by Amazon and the water shutoff by The Smartest House. @agnes.zooz, can you comment on the status of Dome?

Remember that small companies vary in size. For some, small may mean a single proprietor, a family, or a handful of employees. For others, small may mean a few dozen employees. I have no idea what size companies like Dome, NYCE and ZOOZ might be, but a small company often has individuals that have to handle more than one role. If one employee gets sick, it can affect the entire company.

I have gotten to know an individual that produces artisan shaving soaps. He is the entire company, a one-man show. He had a severe reaction to a COVID vaccination and it shut down his entire operation for a month.

Many large companies have prospered during the pandemic, but it has hit smaller companies especially hard, so please give them a little compassion.

2 Likes

There's a single nyce motion sensor on Amazon right now. Wall mount.