Ugh... Out of business or just shortages?

Made me think of this... :wink:

4 Likes

World wide, logistics are screwed up due to many factors - the recurring waves of the pandemic, fewer international flights, a certain blocked canal and a shortage of shipping containers.
โ€œBack to normalโ€ is anyoneโ€™s guess but definitely NOT this year !

1 Like

Perhaps my view is based on lack of communication from these companies. I get supplies are short but even a " We're working on it, please be patient" kind of message would go a long way in soothing worried people

1 Like

It may well be that some of the customer service people are working from home or out sick and internal communications are suffering so communications with customers is suffering as well. Be patient; this too shall pass, but probably not as soon as any of us would hope.

I seriously don't think it's related to chip shortage, it's not those high-end chip that keep disappearing from stock.
(I was building a new HTPC/NAS with 4x14TB RAID ready, looking for Ryzen 3200G which was no where in stock or marked up high by scalpers, now looking forward to the 5600G)

I don't know NYCE, but I believe Dome's devices (which same as Wink and much cheaper on eBay) might be made by NEO Coolcam (they have a lot of identical or similar look products including motion sensor, siren and even mousetrap) and you can easily find them, or other Z-wave/Zigbee devices, very well stocked in Aliexpress or even Amazon.

I'd rather believe Dome is on the way exiting the business as it's probably not easy to compete with those cheaper like tuya/smartlife based, wyze wifi devices or more reputable like Ring and others.

I hope that is not the case with Dome, but you may be right.

I have started adding several water leak sensors around the house. I would like to add a water shut-off valve actuator to automatically close a ball valve located on the main water supply. The Dome actuator was one of the devices I am considering since it installs without having to cut the water line. That also means that I can easily remove the actuator when I sell the house one day.

I wonder what will happen with companies that make Z-wave devices when Thread protocol and Matter devices enter the market in a big way. Since Z-wave technology is controlled by a single company, it may not be able to compete with the Connectivity Standards Alliance that involves huge companies like Amazon, Apple, Comcast, Google, and numerous others. That alliance is the natural evolution of the Zigbee Alliance, so Zigbee may still have a role, but we will have to wait and see.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-3200G-Unlocked-Processor/dp/B07STGHZK8/ref=asc_df_B07STGHZK8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366315397608&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12250045084787272941&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026489&hvtargid=pla-785834748205&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=74356900537&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366315397608&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12250045084787272941&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026489&hvtargid=pla-785834748205

I know they're available from scalpers but I have no interest to give them the profit. 3200G MSRP is $99. Used one from ebay is around $150.

1 Like

The list price on the Nvidia RTX 3070 FE card is $499, but it is impossible to purchase one at that price. Amazon has one of the cards listed at $1579.00. This is a bargain :wink: as it was once listed at $1724.97. At least it ships for free.

In order to get my hands on a RTX 3080 card, I purchased a preassembled MSI gaming computer from Costco. Although the price was $2499, the system sold out in a couple of hours. The identical system is back in stock listed at a price of $2999 now. That is what limited supply and high demand does to prices, a 20% increase in six months.

In the case of home automation devices, I suspect the demand is not a great as that for video cards and CPU chips, but supply is still limited.

You may be waiting a while then. :slight_smile: Unfortunately its just tough to get a lot of things right now. Although when the 5xxx APUs come out in August, maybe the older ones will free up.

I bought an XBOX Series X last november from a scalper. Was annoying, but if I waited for them to be available at retail in stores... Well, I would still be waiting, instead of using the one I got for the last 8 months.

A lot of other things I AM waiting on though. Need to upgrade 2 computers for the kids, but it is going to have to wait for GPUs to be available in stores.

1 Like

for turn off valves. i highly recommend these.. price but work great.. i hve had issues witht the dome and other type turn off valves .. those valves can be very sticky. obvlously need to the the right sized one ie 3/4 vs 1" etc.

1 Like

I suspect those are higher quality, but they also require installing it inline. I already have a ball valve in the line as a cut-off valve, so I want an actuator that I can use to close it if necessary, but that I can easily remove when I sell the house. The new owner might not want a Z-wave valve in the main water line.

I like the EcoNET BullDog smart water valve controller for that.. It's very robust and I have a sequence to turn it off/on on the first of every month as a test/to keep the level action loose.

1 Like

That looks more like something that would meet my needs.

1 Like

They're still in business as far as I know! The shortage of the siren has been caused by Ring ordering most of the stock for their system in the past year or so... I don't have any more details unfortunately!

3 Likes

Yeah they're support line goes to a cable tv company. No one at their offices answer. theirr water shutoff and waterr sensors have been out of stock since january...

1 Like

Could be the situation on Amazon but we had the water sensors in stock until recently at The Smartest House, not sure when we'll get more stock here though. The Shut-off is still available here and I checked that we have more coming (on order).

2 Likes

Thanx... I'll keep an eye on your biz for the sensors

I just purchased the following Z-wave water shutoff valve actuator.

After comparing it to several devices, including Dome, I thought this one looked somewhat more robust than many options. It was neither the most or least expensive option.

The device came without instructions, so I am guessing it might have been returned by another customer who could not figure it out. Even without instructions, I paired it easily with Hubitat and then installed it on my water cut-off valve. The mechanism is adequate to turn the 3/4" ball valve with the operation taking about 5 seconds. It is supposed to work with valves up to 1 1/2", but I would only suggest that if the valve was new.

I am getting a 40 kbps signal through an Aeotec repeater on the floor above. Although, I would prefer 100 kpbs, that is not too bad for the corner of the basement.

It is nice to have the ability to shut off the water remotely. I just hope I never have to use it for real. I plan to test it periodically. The device is powered by a 12 volt adapter. I may get a small 12V gel cell battery to use as a backup in case of a power outage. I would hate to have a pipe burst when there is no power to the sump pump and shut off valve. That would be a prime example of Murphy's law.

I test a random water sensor monthly to make sure it works and that the house water turns off

2 Likes