Ubiquiti router recommendation

What’s the cost on the UGXPro vs UDM Pro? For home use, I have 2 QNAP NAS that I’d like to add 10g network cards too and hook up, I’d need a 24 port POE switch plus a 16gb network switch non POE. Would like to replace my ring doorbell and deploy WIFI 6 with one of their long range APs. I have a 1300sq ft ranch home with a partially exposed basement. A single ASUS router meets all my WiFi needs currently but it’s aging and is not WIFI 6. What would one recommend for relaxing my setup? All my POE needs currently are for a few cameras and a bunch of Aeotec MultiSensor 6s.

I use Ubiquiti's Amplifi line. I have two Amplifi HD's with multiple mesh points each. One base unit for each side of the house. The base unit on one side of the house is hardwired back to the main Amplifi that attaches to my cable modem. The meshpoints fill in the gaps. I have fluent coverage everywhere. The units have been solid. One feature that I really like is the "teleport" feature on the iOS app that creates an easy to use VPN back to the main router and puts you on the local network no matter where you are. One downside is that the IP scheme limits the number of IP devices to 255 since it only allows a fixed IP scheme with the first 3 octets being hard coded. I would have preferred multiple subnets in my scheme for management purposes and to expand the number of IP devices. I am pushing that limit. I use the Unifi line here at the office and it does okay but I am not thrilled with the Unifi management platform's interface or ease of use.

after 24 hours, it is driving me insane. I can't get it connected to the ISP modem. I can get it connected through my old USG3P connected to the ISP modem.

Standard cable modem? Or something else that requires authentication?

standard

Did you remember to unplug the cable modem and reboot it, after moving the Patch Cable from the USG WAN port to the UDMpro WAN port? Most cable modems have an affinity for a MAC address that can only be cleared by rebooting the cable modem.

1 Like

all the above and more. switched out cables, let the modem stay off for an hour. went through every firmware update... one at a time.when I power off both modem and udmp, I get activity on the port but udmp reports on screen it can not obtain an IP address. plug in the usg and it connects immediately as well as an old airport time capsule. spoke with ISP for an hour and they suggest contacting unifi, which I will try tomorrow.

a new network firmware was released late afternoon so will test it also.

Have you reset the UDMP as well, assuming there is a reset option?

reset modem, unplugged everything, reset udmp 15 times I believe.

Are you a bad person who deserves this? Maybe you're the problem.

:wink:

Sounds like a trip to the Ubiquiti forums is needed...

1 Like

of course

2 Likes

I just went through this myself, but then remembered that I had to call my ISP and have them do a reset on their end to pick up the new MAC identifier.. that did the trick for me

Yeah pretty sure you can't spoof MACs with a UDMP..

yep... did that in my one hour call with them :slight_smile:

I can't even get the sfp port to work

Maybe you just got one w/a HW issue? This is really odd.

the one item I wonder about - the udmp set up a network of 192.168.0.x

I know some of the UDMP's used to have problems with the firmware loaded on them to begin with (although they usually would not boot fully). Have you tried getting a new firmware from Uniquiti's site and loading it directly on the controller?

I bet you have considering everything else you have been trying... but just in case.

yep... installed 3 different versions to see if it would help but no luck

Bummer. Hopefully their support can get it working for you or provide you a replacement. I read all the horror stories about the early ones when I bought mine, had a USB drive ready with the latest firmware... and then it just plain worked fine for me. So it was partially relief/partially disappointing.