Ubiquiti router recommendation

I have an AmpliFi router (by Ubiquiti) that I only use as an access point (not using firewall/router functions) - it provides excellent coverage and speeds. I have 2500 sqft on one floor, mostly lengthwise, and there isn't one spot in the house with bad wifi.

But for the actual routing/firewall functions, pfSense can't be beat. Plus, pfSense gives you total control over your DHCP, DNS, VPN, and more. You can install it on a RPi, run it on an old computer, or do what I did and purchase a NetGate appliance (which runs pfSense software) and is an out-of-the-box unit ready to go for $180. I love my NetGate! They are a little pricey considering that you can build one on old equipment, but I really just wanted something that flawlessly works.

I did setup pfSense and check it out on Ubuntu first. I would recommend you do the same before purchasing just to make sure you are ok with the complexity of some of the configs you will need to make. It's easy for an IT guy, but this thing isn't a Linksys or Netgear for sure (which is a good thing!).

Quick update. Another day with my udmp situation. Swapped out the ISP modem and spoke with their support. Getting better connection between the modem and udmp but it still does not obtain an IP and that is where it hangs in the setup. Support tried everything but gave up and asked me to contact UniFi support.

Waiting on UniFi at this point.

Are you using a Cat5/6 connection between the UDMpro and the modem? Or trying to use a Fiber connection?

Tagging @stephack as he has a UDMpro and might have some suggestions.

cat8 but have tried cat7

Sorry, if you have answered this already (skimmed a few posts up), but are you connecting via the gigabit wan port or the 10g sfp? if using the 10gb port you would need to be careful what sfp you use. I know others have had strange issues with various brands. Also, if using the 10gb Wan port, some have had to hard code the appropriate speed. Leaving it on auto negotiate has sometimes caused strange issues.

2 Likes

i am using the WAN port not the sfp ports when connecting to the modem.

i had mentioned earlier that i was trying to use sfp between the udmp and a switch but was not able to get it to work. but i did resolve that about 20 minutes ago from someone on the ubiquiti forum who told me to change from auto negotiate to 1 gig.

now to figure out the rest of the instructions he provided to try and resolve the udmp direct to ISP modem :slight_smile:

1 Like

ubuiquiti support just responded so i got some work to do…

there is a section in the link about my issue

3 Likes

and then I find this so this will be on tomorrow's agenda... set up and wait 15 minutes :wink:

https://community.ui.com/questions/UDM-PRO-is-not-working-out-of-the-box-with-Spectrum/21044ddb-7191-4e12-abd7-db9eb887e8fc

2 Likes

It's the old "Patience, grasshopper." :wink:

Glad you're getting the help to get past intial connection. Think of the fun and questions you'll have once you dive into setting everything up! :smiley:

it did not work for me. i am thinking i may try buying my own modem at best buy and see if i can get it to work. also waiting on unifi support to respond to all the data i sent to them.

i am at the point where i am tired of resting the udmp and setting up everything over and over again.

when all else fails... go buy your own modem! that is what I did and problem is now resolved. my udmp is connected directly to the modem and working.

it appears to be an issue with the modem ethernet port and the udmp wan port not communicating properly. I will leave that up to unifi to work on.

I had to spend more $$ but I got it working :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We're renting a Comcast modem?
If so, your network and your wallet will love you in the long run. Xfinity hardware sucks!

3 Likes

spectrum started offering free modems last year i believe. i don’t really know because i had purchased my own five years ago. they have been offering a higher base speed also but they never informed me. i had called a couple of times over the past 1.5 years and they kept saying i had the base speed already but i knew that was incorrect. their website stated the speed but my monthly bill listed a different speed that was much lower. i finally went to the spectrum store to inquire and the agent said i was on an old plan that had not been upgraded. i asked when did they intend to tell me there was an upgrade available - his response was they would eventually get around to upgrading users.

i will probably dump them by december as my bill says my promotion ends and the price will jump $20. not worth it… i can get a 1 gig fiber connection for almost the same price.

1 Like

I dumped Spectrum, bought an attic digital antenna for local TV, and got ATT gigabit fiber. Saving over $75 a month. With digital antenna I am picking up 49 local channels. Did this 4 years ago and haven’t looked back.

Edit forgot to mention with fiber we have less outages too. Have had a few power outages due to storms where I need to pull out the generator and fiber still works. Meanwhile neighbors with Spectrum who also have generators are out of service given each pedestal requires power.

5 Likes

I did similar and added a HDHomerun and Plex DVR service.
https://www.silicondust.com/

1 Like

You guys are making me jealous. I ditched the cable TV years back, went with antenna & Tablo for local and streaming services my family has demanded.

BUT... my internet service is stuck with Spectrum (previously Time Warner here). The ONLY competitor otherwise is Frontier and last I checked their max to our house was 6Mbps.

yep, I don't have spectrum tv. I dumped them 6 years ago.

I probably would have switched to at&t fiber long ago if they had not made a massive mess in my yard when they laid it through my yard.

AT&T fiber is good as a service but holy crap is their forced gateway/ONT situation a nightmare, do you bypass those in any way or do you just do router behind a router?

Mine allows for IP passthrough, which isn’t a true bridge mode, but it’s close enough.

1 Like

Like @jrau272 I use IP Passthrough. I turned off wireless.

2 Likes