Ubiquiti router recommendation

I wish I would have noticed that yesterday. I would have bought one at $299. Oh well.

I picked up one yesterday, hopefully the migration from my current USG isn’t too much of a pain

Took advantage of the Cyber Monday deal too, $299. UDM-Pro is on the way, upgrading from a USG and Cloud Key v1. Excited but a bit nervous about the migration process...I've read all sorts of horror stories on Reddit and elsewhere.

I switched over from a CK Gen 1 to a CK Gen 2, and it wasn't a big deal. However, the changover of the router handover...that would certainly scare me!

S.

Highly recommend using this guide here. Worked great for me other than the SFP + port from UDM pro to my non-plus SFP switch cable incompatibility issue.

1 Like

Thank you for this! Bookmarked

Good luck to you all! MIgration is so much fun (not). :wink:

No kidding. 3 HE hubs with hundred of devices, rules and dashboards. Trying to convert Hubconnect to hub mesh. I am giving myself 3 weeks.....

3 Likes

I dont have as many devices (~75 or so), but i found converting from hubconnect to hub mesh to be pretty straight forward and relatively quick. A bit tedious, but not too bad. Very amenable to a phased approach as well.

I basically picked a rule, identified the devices in that rule, added them to hub mesh, then went through the rule and substituted the devices. Once I had done that, I checked the devices, removed them from dashboards, watchdogs, etc, and then removed them from hubconnect.

Took me a few hours spread over a couple of days.

S

I gave myself 2 weeks to do the C5 -> C7 migration...

:slight_smile:

1 Like

And during those two weeks I'm sure you had many stern talks w/yourself... :wink:

1 Like

Yes. Usually right after my wife derided me about the whole thing...

1 Like

I am still going through this. my Z-Wave devices have all migrated over to the C-7 and zigbee is still on 2 different C-4s. Sigh.. was thinking about moving the Zigbee stuff over to a C-5 and retiring the C-4s.

On the Ubiquiti side - Since I replaced the Orbi my Flex HD and UAC-Pro have just been working.. reliable, no routing issues or random disconnects etc to report. Kind of boring really.

Am looking forward to the Wifi 6 Flex.. if it ever comes out of "beta"..

1 Like

Just out of curiosity. Is anyone talking between their hub to their edgerouter?

Why I ask is the last cable tech that visited me suggested to reboot my modem on a weekly schedule. I have it on a Zooz plugin so that’s not a problem. But after a reboot the DHCPv6-PD doesn’t get reinitialized and I only get IPv4 on eth1 on my ER-4 (I understand that this is significantly lower end to the hardware you guys are discussing here.

I know through telnet the router can be rebooted and restarted (I have no idea the difference here).

It possible I have something mis-configured in the ER-4.

Once I reboot the router the DHCPv6-PD connects again.

Why did he tell you to reboot the router every week?

I've had my ER12 going for I don't know how many months w/out a single reboot and things are running w/out issue.

He said there is an apparent memory leak in the current SW build that affects throughout after about 3-4 weeks. He told me to reboot it weekly to be safe. Lol.

My big issue is I can’t seem to get the router back on ipv6 without a restart.

I have tried release/renew commands in the CLI window and it doesn’t come back. Today I did something to get the ipv6 on the eth0 but it didn’t propagate to the eth1 interface.

Clearly I am a hack when it comes to this.

And I don’t know if the memory leak issue will affect me since I have bridged the modem.

I don't use IPV6 so can't help you there, sorry. I'd drop into the Ubiquiti forums to see if the leak really exists, is an issue, and if there is a FW update for it. There was a FW update just released for Ubiquiti EdgeRouters, that might be something worth appying for you.

https://community.ui.com/releases/EdgeMAX-EdgeRouter-Firmware-v2-0-9-v2-0-9/d75f346d-d734-4026-97a8-7b2d5cc4e079

Lots of download links in the thread:

In the cable modem or the ubiquti edgerouter?

Good catch, @marktheknife...he referred to his router in the first sentence, but the rebooting part he was talking about his cable modem. I sloshed them together. :slight_smile:

My bad...

1 Like

Setting up the UDM pro for my brother in law and forgot to mention if " no internet detected" at the beginning. ssh into the UDM and change the time/date. date -u MMDDHHmmYYYY

1 Like