Ubiquiti router recommendation

As a new Unifi user I'm very happy with the UXG Pro. For the cost (which is not cheap for either one) I didn't want to go with something "old" that was kind of on the road to being the old version. Really up to you though.

2 Likes

No. He's here all alone, so we get to tell him what to do.

:smiley:

My daughters are not quite there and our neighborhood does not have CLOSE kids, they can bike... so I doubt they will find much use in sharing the keys then. But at least I can keep a close eye on it now.

When I was looking I thought the UXG-Pro sounded interesting... but the specs I read about did not seem different enough from the UDM-Pro, especially for my home needs. Plus I liked having the option of the HDD for Unifi Protect with the UDM-Pro. Just my opinion on it.

1 Like

To turn it around - maybe giving the key out to certain kids would alert you to their presence... :laughing:

I might think about that once there is a SO in the picture, Then add their device to the presence list... with some rules about time, duration... oh what a rabbit hole.

1 Like

I hear you!!! I just added the capability to read the controller in Node-RED. Very cool to see all the devices attached to my wlan...

sooo much stuff to futz around with.

1 Like

Why buy an additional device? Can’t you just enable MAC filtering on the APs and get the same effect for free?

Yup, I suppose I could. I'll have to think about that. I'm used to the Fingbox, and I like its event notifications, but that's not reason enough for all certainly.

S

Things are looking good after I added a Long Range in my garage, it covers all my cameras and outdoor tv. Think I can save money and not buy a Wifi 6 Mesh then! Now I get to spend the weekend removing the Google Wifi and redoing my subnets, can't wait for the chaos that causes!

2 Likes

When I put in the new router and such I cheated... I just set the Unifi AP to create the same SSID and passphrase as the old stuff. Just did not want to go around and reconfigure every last WiFi device I have... At some point when I add more stuff in I may create an additional set and migrate more important stuff over to that to keep it separate. But for now everything seems happy.

1 Like

Yep thats what I did too.. and was shocked when no one complained. Seems to be working great - At the very least there has been no degradation in switching from the Orbi RBK50 (2 units wired backhaul). In fact the "routing" part seems to be much more stable.

1 Like

That was my plan too, but because Google Wifi creates its own subnet with its own DHCP server it adds more complexity so I had to do stuff a bit more piecemeal :frowning:

Access point all the way. Double NATting is a pain - works just well enough to get you into trouble.

1 Like

Agreed. Exactly why I'm ditching google wifi. I didn't do enough research before buying it, didn't know it was going to double nat.

1 Like

Same! Triplets! :slight_smile:

I used my old network SSID/pw from when I only had one network as my new IoT VLAN SSID/pw. So all my IoT devices could stay on the same network and nothing had to be redone. Then created a new SSID for my "personal" VLAN w/laptops, NAS, phones on it. So only had to change PW on a few personal devices, and everything else (in particular all my ring cameras/doorbells) didn't need to get removed from one network and added to another. Thought I was pretty slick... :wink:

2 Likes

WTS: UniFi Switch PoE 16 (150W) model # US-16-150W $240 + shipping. PM me if interested :slight_smile: I'm upgrading

might sell my USG-3P soon if anyone is interested

3 Likes

Someone getting some new toys for Christmas? :slight_smile:

Dream machine pro is on sale today (while supplies last)

US and EU ...

2 Likes

I will say things have been pretty stable from me for the past few months. Feel like those of us that used this for the first year shouldve paid this price. I paid $380, but have been pretty happy. Now I need a 48port Poe switch. Wish they had a deal on that!

Got one for my brother at $389 CAD. He's gonna be happy this Xmas! Thanks for the sale post.