Ubiquiti G4 Doorbell integration?

I just got one of these. When the doorbell button is pressed, I want to kick off a rule in Hubitat that plays a sound over my whole house audio system. I had this working with a Zigbee button, but I don't see a way to kick this off with the Ubiquity stuff.

Ideally I would be able to just hit a rest endpoint when the doorbell button was pressed, but sadly, it looks like they haven't thought that far ahead. Any ideas?

1 Like

I have a Sage doorbell sensor tied to the chime circuit which generates an event when the doorbell is rung, and works perfectly side by side with the G4 doorbell.

confirmed works fine.

note: I don't presently use the event, but it does generate a doorbell pressed event, and it would be relatively easy to tie it to a rule that played sounds on Sonos or a Siren, or GoogAmaz devices. Cheap too (and it works even if Ubiquiti decides not to generate a notification event!)

S.

Sorry, I don't understand. How to you get the G4 doorbell to activate the sage switch?

The Sage is tied to the chimes, exactly the way the G4 is tied (same screws on the terminal you plugged the G4's chime connection). It is essentially a contact sensor, and detects the interrupt of the 120VAC that the G4 causes to happen when it wants the door chimes to ring. If you don't have the door chimes turned on (and are just using the G4's notifications), this solution won't work for you.

Once it detects that interrupt, it (the Sage) sends an event, which RM can act on.

In the G4's installation instructions (such as they are) for installation of the bypass module (that's what I call it anyway), In section 2A, you plug 2 of the wires for the SAGE Doorbell sensor into the same two terminals (Front, Trans) as the G4 plugs in. I think the third one is for the secondary button, so you can leave that disconnected or plug it into the other terminal screw, as I don't think it matters (unless you have a second button), the SAGE instructions should indicate which two wires you connect where. I can look when I get home, but I don't remember off the top of my head...sorry.

Of course, if you don't have chimes....then this won't work for you.

S.

1 Like

I picked up one of these. $5 on ebay. It works great.

The only thing is, my regular doorbell rings, and then it's followed by the huge chinese gong sound. So now everyone is prepared for the gong and it no longer scares the crap out of them :frowning:

I hooked up the sensor at the transformer though (since it wouldn't fit under the cover to my chime), so I guess I could disconnect one of the wires in the doorbell chime and it would probably still work with the sage thing. The wiring for the G4 doorbell is a bit funny when there's a chime involved, which allowed my to put the sensor in the basement.

I just got this wired up and it's not working. Any insights as to what I'm doing wrong?

The white wire twisted goes from the tranfomer to G4 terminal 1. The red wire is coming off G4 terminal 2 into connector block 1. Connector block 2 goes back to transformer. Then you see the rest. I do not have a rear doorbell I just connected the sage up anyway so there is not loose wires.

The G4 works fine, but the chime does not ring and the sage does not indicate a button press. Seem like the "power bridge" is not sending the output signal. I do have the chime settings "on" in the settings, and I'm using the 24v 30a connection on the transformer, so there should be plenty of juice.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll take the cover off my chime and have a look. Did the chime work before?

S.

1 Like

Yeah, with my "normal" doorbell it did work.

K. Give me a few, I'm eating dinner at the moment, but I'll check my wiring in a min.

S

1 Like

I think you need to move your input wires.

Do you have a pic of the original connections on the doorbell chimes?

1 Like

If I did that there would be nothing going out to the G4.

EDIT: The Red wire came from the transformer and went into the "trans" terminal. The Red wire then went from the "Front" terminal to the doorbell. White wire has always been twisted like that.

FYI - my doorbell did have a "light", and I think that makes I difference. I read a bunch of stuff of the Unifi site, but could not figure it out.

OK mine has 1 red wire and 1 white wire on the Ubiquiti clips, and the other white and red are twisted together. I should be able to post a pic in a second.

Google Photos

It's hard to see, but the second pair goes to a wire nut...if you zoom in, you should be able to see it.

S

That's perplexing. If one red and one white is coming from the transformer and the doorbell one of them would not be getting power. hmm gotta think on that one

Well then, that should work. :slight_smile:
re: doorbell light, that shouldn't matter, it's just a light in parallel to the button drawing a slight current all the time (now gone).

1 Like

Problem solved, sorta. It just worked. I did nothing but wait. I read somewhere that "power brick" might need to charge. Seems odd for a "relay" to need a charge, but after 3 hours of being on, it just "donged" for the 1st in 15 tries. That's pretty poor documentation if so.

EDIT: It also triggered the Sage unit in HE, so we're good :+1: Sorry for the "false alarm", but now we know.

2 Likes

I think the wiring on doorbells is confusing at best. LOL

Adding the G4 makes it even worse.

S.

2 Likes

I picked up a G4 Doorbell as well and tried to use the sage device. I am getting the doorbell into Hubitat, but I also get erroneous button presses. It just randomly rings. I have tried both the built in driver and the community driver found here:

I have this tied into a mechanical chime with a 16v 30va transformer.

Any idea what I need to do to stop these extra button presses?

It's possible the 16VAC is not enough for the G4 doorbell which then caused weirdness to the Sage?
The G4 requires 16-24 volts transformer.
Was the Sage working normal before the installation of the G4?

The sage is new to this install. Guess I could wire it up to a normal doorbell button and test it all. The transformer is new and others have reported good success with the G4 using it.

One other thing to try is replacing the internal battery.