Two prong smart plug for US?

Unfortunately my house is old enough that 90% of the wall sockets are two prong only. Are there any reliable smart plug that does not require the ground pin?

I have some very old Intermatic HA04/HA03 plugs that worked with my ST but I cannot get them to work with HE, even after including them ok.

Thanks,
P.K.

Why not just get a 3 prong converter? I wouldn’t want to install electronics that aren’t grounded...

2 Likes

Doesn't that require the casing actually be grounded? I need to do some more research on this. This is a rented house so I try not to make too many mods. :slight_smile:

I just got a couple of these off amazon. Basically I just took a two wire extension cord and inserted this in the middle. This link is for Canada but I’m sure they have to have them on amazon.com as well.

SONOFF BASICZBR3 Zigbee Smart Switch, Zigbee Home Smart Controller, Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Works with SmartThings hub https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B083DDYW9T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jCpMEbBX7QEB8

2 Likes

I’ve had this problem too. It sticks out so far. I’ve been lucky that the situations have been behind furniture where I can install a flat extension chord and then do my ugly adapter business.

Like this:

Cordinate, Gray/White, Designer 3 Extension Cord, 2 Prong Power Strip, Extra Long 8 Ft Cable with Flat Plug, Braided Chevron Fabric, Slide-to-Lock Safety Outlets, 39980 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074G4ZTTR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_EIrMEbFB9KZ7X

I hear ya. Problem with 2 prong extension to a 2-3 adapter is there is no real ground and could be dangerous. I ordered a few 2-3 adapter and a tester to check for actual ground. Thank goodness for amazon delivery.

Both of my grandfathers were at least...
They have both lived to quite old. :wink:
YMMV

Before you do anything special, check to see if you have metal Junction boxes and metal armored cable. If so the metal cable armor and metal box functions as your safety ground.

To put in a 3 prong receptacle you should use the "grounding" type. These have a brass colored clip that grounds the receptacle tab to the screw for better connection to the metal box than a screw alone.

Are there any reliable smart plug that does not require the ground pin?

What are you looking for? A dimmer module, or switch module, in wall dimmer etc......

The ground is a safety item and though important should not effect a smart device. My house has all metal junction boxes and all my in-wall dimmers work fine. I don't have any with metal plates which I think might add a hurdle the radio could not reach.

UPDATE: My parent's home was built in 1950 (Connecticut). I changed all the 2 prong to 3 prong receptacles. A electrician friend of my dad's checked the grounds and told us it was fine/safe etc.
I was 15 at the time so I've learned a little since then.

2 Likes

The Sonoff Zigbee does seems like the best bet for inexpensive two prong outlets as @steve.maddigan is suggesting.

1 Like

Yeah... if the outlet in the wall is not 3 prong that you wont be providing a ground no matter what adapter is used.

What I do... is just use a Peanut plug and break off the 3rd prong. That is no problem.

Except it violates the ul certification and if it caused a fire your insurance would refuse to pay. To each his own...

1 Like

If the OP's wiring is indeed armor cable and metal box (which is very likely unless their house was built in the 20's or 30's) a 2 to 3 prong adapter has a grounding tab.

If the adapter is used properly the tab will go under the screw in the center of a non Decura receptacle an be grounded. The belief that few folks actually use this feature is irrelevant, as people do all sorts of stupid things.

Although I've done it (use devices with the 3rd prong disabled) many times and lived to tell about it. It has risks, but none of the insurance policies I've had included such a restriction. If your's has such a restriction, you should find another carrier.

IMHO a missing safety ground is more likely to kill you than burn down your house.

My guess an inspection of any home would turn up one or two devices without UL approval. Likely an AC adapter or lamp.

1 Like

Disclaimer: Check with a licensed electrician and /or AHJ in your area that this applies in your locality.

You can use an ungrounded GFCI outlet if labeled if you are under the NEC: 406.4(D)(2) Non-Grounding-Type Receptacles.

Most major carriers have a clause that says they are not covering “ faulty, inadequate or defective construction”. Modifying a ul listed device so that it violates nec could cause you to be excluded. FYI a ground fault can’t cause a fire. Please don’t give safety advice if you’re not an expert. Someone could get hurt.

Everyone is free to do what ever they want, but please don’t give people the impression that something which is actually dangerous is safe. Improper grounding can cause arcing and fires. That is a fact.

I didn't see anyone suggest the GE line of smart plug. They have quite a few 2 prong both on/off and dimmers, both Zwave and Zigbee models. There are similar older models also available if you look at ebay etc.

https://byjasco.com/products/smart-home-automation/z-wave?home_automation_type=457&lighting_control_type=433

https://byjasco.com/products/smart-home-automation/zigbee?home_automation_type=457

1 Like

I am not / did not suggest anybody do anything is an unsafe manner. Read through my posts, what I suggested is safe and legal. Remember we are discussing components on the consumer side of the receptacle. I do not believe NEC covers this area.

As for insurance, I don't believe a 3 prong device plugged into a 2 prong outlet would qualify as “ faulty, inadequate or defective construction" as you suggested. Again this is my opinion.

Personally I think the possibility of a fire or hurting/killing someone should be motivation enough to do things safely. Not insurance coverage. And if you don't know how to do this you should contract a licensed electrician.

At any rate I firmly agree with you that safe practices should always be followed.

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice. I am still waiting for my ground tester to arrive to see if the ground screw will work. I definitely am not going to fake the ground pin, not worth the danger.

I arrived at the same conclusion and ordered the GE/Jesco dimmer to try out. Having gone through multiple hub and protocol technology, HE really is good stuff. Can’t wait to get everything connected and programmed. (I am moving to a new house so I am setting up things slowly).

P.K.

I just mounted a power strip in my ATV trailer... Thought this group would appreciate the nice mounting holes that we have in our USA outlet's... and it sure beats trying to get the spacing just right on the keyhole mounts on the back of the device!!! LOL

I'm curious - does that interrupt the ground conductor for the other outlets in that strip?