Twilio Registration

Kahn-hubitat, curious if you're still using SMS alerts in HE then which A2P service are you now using and what driver?

My own sendmail implementation

1 Like

I considered doing the same when beginning my ST to HE migration. So I assume you're using cell carrier email-to-sms, or just email for alerts? I get a LOT more email than SMS so I pay more attention to SMS as it's usually family, close friends, and priority ie bank & credit usage. Push-alert notifications are unreliable on my ph so I wanted to continue using SMS (spoiled by ST, only thing I will miss). When sending test messages to my carrier email-to-sms I had delays of 20 seconds to over a minute and some failed. So, response time and reliability lead me to Twilio. Despite the 10DLC registration circus every SMS alert sent is received in 3 to 4 seconds. Hate that I now pay for sms alerts but for me it's peace of mind for under $5/month. With that said I may rethink everything based on 10DLC registration results! lol

Curious to know how you setup Hubitat and Twilio to send phone/voice calls? How do you program the voice message? How do those costs compare to sending SMS? Thanks.

Yes send to my own local email server that forwards to att email to sms gateway.

1 Like

You have to create a script in the Twillio account itself. there's somewhere on this forum that details how to do it and even has a sample to copy and paste in. Then in HE it just becomes another speech device. The cost is slightly more but still just a couple cents per minute if I remember right.

Check this post:

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks! I'll research it more. How long have you been using it and what is typical response time from HE trigger to phone ringing? Advantage over SMS is that it would work with old school POTS home landlines. The only downside would be if the call goes unanswered and without voicemail (ie cell ph no signal or ringer turned off), unless there is 'retry call until answered'. For critical safety alarms a combo of SMS and phone call would cover all bases. Thanks again! :+1:

I’ve been using it for probably a year or more. Very rarely trigger it but if memory serves correctly it’s very fast. Not sure what happens if no answer. Mine have always been to cell phone which has voice mail.

Just tested it and the call came through in about 2 seconds.

2 Likes

That's fast, about the same as Twilio SMS. Once the dust settles with my ST to HE migration I will give it a try. Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

I just went in and looked at my billing for April and it appears that they have charged for the "Campaign Vetting" and "Brand Registration" ($19). I haven't received any confirmation whether it's been approved or not, so wondering if you have any insight into what the heck may be going on?

I just checked my Twilio account and so far they've only billed me the $4 for Brand Registration which if I recall correctly was charged the day I registered. I'm not 100% certain but I believe the Campaign Vetting fee is billed whether it's approved or not. I would have to go through all of my emails but I'm consumed at the moment working on some z-wave signal issues and antenna mods, sorry. Did you go to Messaging > Regulatory Compliance > Campaigns and check status? Mine is still 'In Progress' but maybe your campaign was approved already, hence the charge?

1 Like

Looks like it is "verified" (approved??)

1 Like

Well Congratulations, you got the Golden Ticket! :+1: :grinning: That was fast, did you register on day one, April 17? I registered the day after. Well now we know why they charged you for Campaign Vetting. That's good news. I hope my outcome is the same as yours :crossed_fingers:.

1 Like

Yes - I muddled through the process on April 17th. I wasn't sure if I even completed it correctly, but I guess I must have!

What do single users with no "brand" do for vetting? I read through all the Twilio information and decided it was too much for the current time. I closed my Twilio account and moved to Pushover.

Part of my decision was because I rarely use Twilio. The only automation that triggers as Twilio message is my whole house water valve shutting use to a sensed leak.

1 Like

From my post on April 3, 2023:

1 Like

I have been using Twilio for texting in HE for a while now. But it seems that using Twilio to send text messages is going to get more expensive. The personal brand registration that is required costs $2/month plus the usage costs.

What are people using to send texts from HE???? Mostly Pushover?

I haven't done anything and just waiting to see what happens. Paying same rates that I have for over 6 years. Know that carriers might stop delivering messages at some point but again will wait and see.

My believe is that the Federal Government has pressured Carriers within the US to stop spam texts. This registration is part of that process to reduce spam texts.

I've been using Twilio as a hobbyist since they just two guys with some interesting ideas for voice and text. This is the first time they've made it hard for hobbyists and hackers to use their services. And it's a serious pain in the rear. I guess I need to dedicate a few hours to fill out all of the applications. They don't look straightforward at all.