TTS Governor

TTS Governor 1.0

Driven by the need to throttle TTS due to Amazon's limitations of only three requests at a time, I decided to take a crack at 'governing' text to speech output from a fresh perspective. The governor uses restrictions you define, so that playback occurs only when and where you need it.

https://github.com/omayhemo/TTSGovernor

Install the driver code, the app code, and the child app code.
Install the application and then create individual governors for each output device.

Mode, Time, Switch and Motion are the various governing types you can use to determine if the speaker should receive the TTS output for play back.

I hope you find it useful.

2 Likes

Thought about giving this a try, but it looks like there is no parent app. Did you by chance accidentally upload the driver code to TTSGovernor (assuming that was supposed to be the parent) instead?

In any case, I look forward to trying this! I was looking for something like this, and Speaker Central comes close but doesn't let me limit the total number of devices (three in my case, since like yours I'd be primarily using it for Alexa TTS). If this has a way for me to cap the maximum and only use the three (or whatever) most "recent" devices, that would be great! (In my case, I'm thinking of activating them by motion, which shouldn't make everything "active" unless I'm running all around the house, but that's the odd scenario I'm trying to account for.)

It appears I did
Please check the latest.

Looks good now! I might be having some trouble understanding how to set it up. I created one child app for each of my "real" devices with my desired restrictions. Unlike Speaker Central (which I'm used to), it appears this one creates virtual devices on its own, one per real device, then you'd just use those virtual devices in whatever automations you want, and if you happen to have selected a device that isn't "OK" to speak on, it just won't do it? If is right, I think I got it. Thanks for your work!

Yup that's exactly it. It does create the virtual device for you, set up a restriction and that will govern the speaker's ability to do the TTS that you send to the proxy device it creates. When coupled with the native Notification app, you send the notification to the proxy device.

Thanks for catching my mistake.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.