Trying to set this thing up

My husband is disabled - he has Parkinson's - so over time I've been setting up things in our house with home automation. Smart plugs and switches, mostly using SmartLife. I've got IFTTT integrations, and apps on our phones (I have an iPhone, he has Android). We have 3 Alexa shows and 1 spot so he can call me from various rooms when he needs help, and turn things on and off with Alexa without needed his hands I work from home and we live in a remote location. The only internet option is the local phone company's DSL. We've got the highest bandwidth which runs us about $150 a month. I work freelance from home and I've had a lot of trouble lately with bandwidth - I can't screen share, jointly edit large files, etc. - and my ISP says it is because I have a lot of devices connected to the wifi. I've run a cable to my laptop and it hasn't helped. (I don't think we have that many devices - 4 single outlets, 2 power strips, 3 computers, 4 phones, 1 thermostat, 4 Alexas but maybe it is. As his symptoms progress, I'll need to set up more automation for him - light switches are getting difficult.) I have to work to pay the mortgage and also be his caretaker. I did some reading and a hub seemed like it would help, so I bought this and plugged it in. I can't get it to work with anything - the Alexas, the thermostat, the outlets. It looks like I need to install code and set up a server (beta-tuyahubitat-jinvoo-smart-life-tuya-smart-switches-only) to get the SmartLife stuff to work. Maybe I'm too clueless to get this working. On Amazon, the sales page made it seem pretty plug and play. I work full time and I'm a full time caretaker, and cook all his meals because he's on a special diet. I am tired and frustrated trying to get this thing to work, and I just don't have the time and concentration to do a lot of reading and figure it all out. If anyone has the time and patience to walk me through this, I'd be really grateful but if you don't, I understand. I may just send this thing back but I want to give it an honest try. I am not clueless about computers and tech, I'm in IT but hardware, not software. If I had to wire these things together and solder things in place, no problem. Getting this code on Github and setting up a server? Not so much. Home automation is really great for the disabled - if I can get it working.

Thanks in advance for reading,

Monika

Welcome to Hubitat! Many people have got at least some Tuya devices working on Hubitat, but they are not officially supported--the workarounds you would need to do to make them work are partly a result of that. These devices are really only meant to work with the company's own cloud servers and other cloud services that they integrate directly with, like Alexa.

I know you already have the devices, but if you'd like to avoid this headache, the best way is to stick to Hubitat's list of compatible devices. These will all work with native drivers on Hubitat and little effort on your part (some LAN integrations may require a separate bridge/gateway, e.g., the Lutron switches, dimmers, and remotes on the list). Beyond this list, most Z-Wave and Zigbee (the primary protocols used by Hubitat) devices will work if they're similar enough to a supported device, but a search of the Community forum (or asking) can help verify.

I haven't personally used these devices, so many someone who has and has used the method you found (presumably this: [BETA]TuyaHubitat - (jinvoo, smart life, tuya smart - switches only)) can chime in. I can tell you that I did also find this other project: [Release] Tasmota Sonoff Hubitat Driver & Device Support. Safe to say, I've also never tried that, and I'm not sure if this (flashing the firmware to something else) would work on your specific devices, but it's worth reading to see.

That being said, it seems unlikely that such a small number of devices on your network--and presumably ones that don't communicate with heavy traffic--would be causing problems as your ISP suggests. Perhaps the wireless AP portion of what I assume is your modem/router/AP combo can only handle so many clients, and that could be causing problems; in such a case, neither of the above methods would help--the devices would still be communicating to Hubitat (or your local server) over Wi-Fi. Using a Z-Wave or Zigbee device instead would take those devices off your LAN and leave Hubitat as the one LAN-accessible interface between you and them. If that is truly the problem--and I'm still not convinced--then using such devices would be far more likely to help. Such devices are definitely what I'd look to going forward--if you add a lot, these protocols work much better for this purpose and won't add a bunch of clients to your Wi-Fi. Whether you think it's worth it at this point to switch (maybe you could sell them to recoup at least some of the cost?) or try to make what you work have work (with a bit of difficulty)--or investigate another platform or ditch the idea of Hubitat or a local hub entirely (probably wouldn't recommend the latter if you suspect you'll want a lot of devices)--is up to you.

Just trying to start with the basics here: I sincerely doubt your IoT traffic is producing comparable traffic to screen sharing. I use pfsense as a firewall and can quantify traffic in/out of my home network and the IoT traffic is negligible. It would be useful for you to have a mechanism to quantify also. Regardless, I wonder what your ISP bandwidth actually is. Have you compared what bandwidth you actually get vs. what you pay for? I really like the bandwidth tester at sonic.net : Test Internet Bandwidth & Speed - Sonic Can you let us know what bandwidth you measure with this tool? [edit2] Can you compare your results when your computer is on wifi vs. when it is plugged into wired ethernet directly from your router?[/edit2]

Also, do you have a good wifi router? Does your computer performance improve if you use wired ethernet instead of wireless? This sounds like it might be one of those situations where a new home router fixes more than expected...? [edit] I wonder, what wifi router are you actually using, is it fairly modern?[/edit]

Oh wow answers already! Thank you so much. I was about to go to bed and I saw postings.

I thought the too many devices sounded like hooey but since they're the only game in town, I was trying to do what they said. I ran the speedtest and this is what I got:

Your results are in!

Your download speed is 15.73 Mbps
Your upload speed is 0.94 Mbps

15Mbps is what I'm supposed to get. I'm hardwired in, and everyone else is asleep so it is just me.

I ran it again on Wifi only and these are the results:

Your results are in!

Your download speed is 15.51 Mbps
Your upload speed is 0.95 Mbps

So pretty similar either way. Our automation was working fine with Alexa, the hub was just an attempt to resolve our connectivity issues.

Our router and modem are the same physical hardware, and it comes from the ISP. We have to use theirs, though I could hook an additional WiFi router to it if you think it would help.

I'm very grateful that you've looked at this and are trying to help. I'd love to get it working, and I'm ok with changing out equipment if need be, I just don't know where to start. I've got a Honeywell thermostat that it can't see either. Apparently I have 0 home automation hardware that actually works with a hub lol.

They sent out a tech and replaced my router today. I can look at the model info on it tomorrow, but the elderly dog is asleep and I don't want to go through the room and wake her.

Thank you both so much for reading my essay and helping! It made a pretty crappy day a little less crappy, and I thank you.

Since it sounds like wiring electrical devices wouldn’t be a barrier for you, I would second @bertabcd1234’s suggestion to consider using devices that work natively with hubitat.

Zigbee and/or z-wave devices will provide a much better out of the box experience and can function completely locally if internet service is an ongoing concern for you. IMHO, Lutron Caseta lighting devices offer the best experience with hubitat, which also works completely locally, but can be a more expensive solution than zigbee/z-wave devices.

If you're not fearful of wiring, then perhaps you can buy a Zigbee Appliance outlet or a ZWave in-wall dimmer or switch and test out what the future might be like.

I'm thinking you could test out something that a) you wanted as the 'next' automation or b) is used a lot and could be swapped.

The Zigbee outlet is a 'wall wart' and can be moved, but Zigbee is sensitive to distance because of walls, doors, ceilings, etc.

A ZWave in-wall dimmer or switch takes more to get physically installed but usually has a better reach because of ZWave's lower frequency.

OK, if you did that, you could try and mimic your existing automation. That would give you a sense of what is better for you.. pursuing the Tuya/Tasmota path or pursuing a swap path.

I'm with you on: "too many devices sounded like hooey"

15mb is a potential problem if you have multiple video streams running. I had 25mb and between my wife and 2 kids, they ate all the bandwidth. Youtube + Netflix + Netflix is too much for 25mb apparently. In other words, there might be moments when 15mb mostly consumed. WiFi however, should not have that limitation, which returns us right back to "hooey" :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!
I'm familiar with what you're going through. We lost a family friend recently after a long battle with Parkinson's, and we have a close friend that is almost at the end of his extended 10 year period he got after surgery that restored motor function temporarily. They've been traveling the world while they still can.

I see you're getting some specific help. I just wanted to point you to the Hubitat Docs if you haven't found them yet. They will step you thorough some of the more general subjects like Alexa setup. I wouldn't call Hubitat Elevation plug and play. It's not hard once you learn it, but it's for sure not as easy as something like Wink. However, it's reliable, much more capable than Wink, and can run most things (obvious exceptions are Alexa) without internet. That makes it much more valuable than Wink in the long run and worth the added effort, IF you have the personal bandwidth for it.

I hope you are making efforts to get a nurse or whatever type of help is available. The caregivers are victims of this disease too. It's not sustainable to do it on your own. My brother in-law went through this with his wife for 10 years from a very rare disease that took her motor function and speech before she passed, and my father in-law is now going through this with his wife as a result of cancer. Please do all you can to get help and take care of yourself too!

If you think this is going to be possible, then take it one device at a time. That will make it less of a mountain for you to climb and much easier to get and take in advice on each particular issue with the community.

All the best,
Doug

1 Like

I might also add that if you're only looking for voice control and don't mind Internet dependence, Hubitat honestly might not be your best bet. Hubitat focuses on local execution but also privacy, for those reasons it does not cache any of your device data on the cloud like, say, SmartThings does. An Alexa call thus works by Amazon's servers contacting Hubitat's cloud endpoint, which then communicates with your hub and back up to Alexa. For comparison, SmartThings manipulates the cloud cache and does ultimately have to go back to your hub to do anything (at least for Z-Wave and Zigbee devices), but it's likely to seem a bit more responsive that way. (I have not measured but can say Hubitat sometimes seems to take a bit longer for Alexa to say "OK," presumably for these reasons.)

Make no mistake, I think Hubitat is a far better platform. And if I were you, I probably wouldn't stop at voice control--you can get motion sensors, contact sensors, or other devices to help automate your home so you don't need light switches or voice control on a regular basis. In that case, I would wholeheartedly recommend Hubitat (unlike ST, any automation you create will still work when your Internet is down, and you aren't subject to their cloud problems, which can cause anything from delays to full outages--not here).

So, this is mostly my advice to explore things beyond voice control. :slight_smile: I like it for "manual" adjustment when needed, but there's so much more you can do that's even better. Just something to consider depending on what your plans with an automation platform are.

Good luck!

I am looking at Zigbee and Zwave stuff on Amazon. It is actually cheaper than the stuff we already bought. Is one better than the other? Can I mix and match or should I pick one of the two and stick with that kind?

Thank you so much!

My husband is 10 years in and is fighting every day. His neurologist says he's doing great for how long he's had it, but it is a struggle. He does a lot of different things, to dosing his medicine with an exact amount of grapefruit juice (it slows and extends the dispersal) to walking on his treadmill several times a day to using this vibrating platform that helps the brain form new connections. We've read lots of books because you don't get a lot of educational help from the medical community - just increasing dosages of medications with some pretty bad side effects. He is on quite a few forums and mentors the newly diagnosed and if you know someone fighting it, he is a good listening ear. He hasn't given up, which makes a huge difference, though he has some bad days. We also adopted a small, neglected rescue dog from a chaotic home, and an elderly German Shepherd who was dumped in the mountains at 11, and the little guy likes to sit on my husband's lap all day and stare adoringly up his nostrils, while the Shepherd, who is losing her eyesight, thinks she's about 3, plays like a puppy and is a very talented thief. It is hard to be unhappy when you have blissfully happy dogs.

I manage to get most things done, but I do get overwhelmed now and then. 10 years ago the Hubitat would have been a challenge and I'd be up to my ears in the docs and making it do all sorts of things, but now I just took a look and was overwhelmed. You have no idea how much the kind words from you - and all the others who have offered help - really made my day.

Thank you, Doug. Thank you all.

5 Likes

You can mix and match Zigbee and Z-wave, but they both work better the more devices of a type you have. The devices form a mesh, and reinforce or share pathways to devices of the same type. You will also want some powered devices as those act as repeaters where battery ones do not repeat.

Don't limit yourself to new devices, there have been some smoking deals on things like Lowes Iris motion sensors, door/window contact sensors, and plug outlets. There have been multi-packs (4-5 or more) of used (but look like new) devices that were cheaper than one comparable device on Amazon.

Also look at Inovelli, they have or had a great price on their new Z-wave switches. Zooz is also a great source of Z-wave devices at decent prices, but they also have great sales a few times a year.

The only other place I would look for good prices, if you decide to incorporate Lutron devices, is Energy Avenue. The Lutron Pro Bridge has been cheaper there than most anywhere else.

Agree 110% about Lutron Caseta. It is one of the few home automation investments I would do all over again >3 years later. As a rule I use Caseta as much as possible as it always works perfectly, looks classy. Conversely, I have drawers upon drawers of junked Z-wave devices that were problematic, broke, poor interface, etc. Also Caseta Pico remotes are the only remote device I use for any automation application now due to >5 yr battery life and 100% reliability as well as professional appearance when installed on a wall. I haven't found another remote that is even in the same league as Lutron's Picos.

2 Likes

When choosing Zigbee vs. Z-wave, I always choose Zigbee due to better batt. perf and more reliable communications. I wish somebody pointed me away from Z-wave and toward Zigbee a few kilobucks ago. I agree with the above about looking for deals on the Lowe's Iris bulk packs. I use their v2 wall switch/repeaters, motion sensors, and water sensors and think they are perfect so far.

1 Like

Zigbee vs Z-Wave is just a religious argument and not worth much. They both have pluses and minuses and most people have a mixture. You will find a great selection of sensors on the Zigbee side but not much is available for switches and dimmers and other mainstream control devices.

5 Likes

For switches and dimmers and remotes I would take Lutron Caseta over anything Z-wave or Zigbee all day long.

1 Like

And I wouldn't. So just shows everything is a religious war. :smile: LOL

1 Like

I think the world already has too many religious wars. I prefer to evaluate home automation equipment based on its technical design and functionality. Can you recommend a good z-wave remote that looks professional, has good battery life, and is reliable?

Cheers.

And the FBI is reporting more IOT attacks on telnet IOT devices.

Telnet is an open protocol and provides absolutely no security. Just so I understand, it appears you are implying that Caseta is a poor choice because if it is placed on the open internet people could discover and talk to it?

My personal opinion is if you are basing your security for your IoT network based on having devices that communicate, you should not be using them.

I'm not sure what your technical background is, but to me this is an absolute red herring. Sorry to report I think I hit the end of the road putting time into this forum, for I think it is a waste.

The forum did help me get started with the Hubitat, thanks for that. Have fun having religious wars about if the FBI thinks having a telnet server opens your IoT to attack.

Cheers.

But at least they have to be on my LAN first. If your Caséta or RA2 Main Repeater are exposed directly to the Internet, you should rethink that--especially because until recently Lutron didn't allow you to disable the default username and password that was the same for everybody (and it's also what Hubitat's current integration requires).

Not arguing for Lutron vs. Z-Wave, by the way. I admire the reliability of Clear Connect but like the additional features most modern Z-Wave switches offer, and I wish there were more similar Zigbee options. As has been said, a lot boils down to preference (including my imagined one for something that doesn't quite exist). :slight_smile: