Trying to find a Zigbee repeater

For those that are repeater-capable, do they need to be setup as a device in Hubitat before they exhibit their repeating capability? That is, if I buy a plug such as the Samsung that acts as a Zigbee repeater, but don't actually plug anything into it (read, lamp) there is no real need to add it to Hubitat as a device unless that is required to gain the repeater capability.

Yes, otherwise it won't know how and where to repeat to. Personally, I'd pick up the Ikea signal repeaters if you have no need for plugs. I've had them on my mesh for months now and while they aren't as strong as plug based repeaters, they work well and because the repeater part is USB, you can hide them in all sorts of places.

1 Like

I had never seen those Ikea ones before - pretty slick. I would be afraid someone in my house would walk off with it thinking it was a generic cell phone charger!

That's why I took them off the plug-in and hid them on various devices. I have one in my office plugged into a power strip with USB outlets and one in the back of my living room entertainment center, plugged into a power strip. :smiley:

I'm planning on getting a couple more for the back bedrooms.

I guess I'm not grasping the USB thing. Is there a portion of this thing that's not pictured that plugs into the USB port of the part that is in the image?

I bought some Cortet Z10 Zigbee repeaters from eBay for $10. There is no driver specifically for them, but I will try the Ikea driver based on Mike Maxwell’s suggestion. I will post results in that post.

Yes. There's the plug in unit and the actual signal repeater plugs into that. I don't use the plug in part, just the USB section. However, the entire thing CAN be used as a phone charger or something else that charges over USB.

This is mine plugged into a power strip tower.

Peanut plugs

3 Likes

@glen.blanchard970

I took this photo before I saw @corerootedxb's post with photo.

The Ikea Tradfri repeaters are super-convenient, and there's a Hubitat driver for them. I have most of mine plugged into in-wall USB outlets.

1 Like

Im using peanut plugs and it fixed all my zigbee network drops.

1 Like

One of these?........

1 Like

Yup. Sometimes you find Peanut plugs on eBay as 2 for $20.

Yep

Peanuts are fixing my problems. Though I need a few more.

Its tough to beat this deal still. He accepts lower offers too.

2 Likes

Quote, "Has a Zigbee Protocol with a Z-Wave repeater built in. "

Is that the same as saying that it has a Zigbee repeater built in?

@glen.blanchard970

Yes, the Iris v2 plugs are line-powered zigbee-controlled plugs, so they work as zigbee repeaters. They also have a built-in z-wave repeater (but aren't controlled via z-wave).

@glen.blanchard970

Wanted to add - AFAIK, the only line-powered zigbee devices that do not function as zigbee repeaters are Sengled bulbs, which do not repeat by design.

Allow me to disagree with your statement. In my opinion the Ikea Repeater is much better at repeating than the Ikea outlet.

1 Like

@aaiyar I wanted to add to your post that I noticed in the details on the Sengled Power Plug that it doesn't mention it is a repeater, as far as I can tell, so we can add that one to the bulb as non repeaters.

2 Likes