Issue with Hubitat & Sengled Bulbs (E11-G14)

Why not just replaced the switch that controls those 6 lights around the mirror with a smart switch and change the bulbs to regular LEDs. Take the 6 zigbee bulbs and use them somewhere else. You would still have hub control regardless of the switch position. If your daughter is anything like mine, it's easier to change the switch than retrain her :grin:

1 Like

Well, for a number of reasons. Mostly being that I already have the bulbs, and already have bulbs for every other lamp in the home as well. Wouldn't have anywhere else to use them. And another reason, probably bigger reason than the first, because there is technically 2 light fixtures above the mirror, one above each of the 2 sinks, and have 3 bulbs in each fixture. They are both wired to the same wall switch. Well technically I guess one is wired to the other, then the one is wired to the switch, I don't know for sure, didn't build the home, but I assume that would be the common way to wire it, also I only see the standard wires in the switch box. Anyways.. I wanted to eventually have it so that only One fixture could be turned on at a time, if so desired. 'Cause frankly having all 6 bulbs on at once, is like staring directly into the sun, it's so bright, even with the 6 bulbs dimmed to 1% its crazy bright (using Daylight bulbs, not soft/warm white)

I'm just trying to find the best option of a switch that will allow me to replace the current switch, but still keep the Smart Bulbs. Someone mentioned inovelli, but honestly I'm not a fan of paddle switches. I like the traditional ones, and that would also mean having to change the switch plate, which the current one is a decorative one that matches the tile & walls of the bathroom. They don't make it in a paddle switch option, only the traditional toggle switch.

This is the primary difference between the current Sengled driver and the legacy one. Neither have the configuration option for the power on state, but the legacy driver has it configured to be “on” — all of my bulbs are this way. At some point the plan is to correct the driver to provide this functionality in the driver.

Cf: Bulbs no longer turning on correctly when power restored - #12 by mike.maxwell

Here are a couple options:

• Aeotec and a few others make what are called micro switches. They’re a zwave relay which gets wired in behind your light switch, or in the light fixture. The wall switch becomes a trigger for the relay, and you can have whatever switch you’d like.
  • GE has made zwave toggles. They’re fine zwave products but I honestly don’t like the toggle itself anywhere near as much as a regular toggle. The “flipper” is spring loaded and sits in the middle because it’s a momentary switch rather than a full toggle.
1 Like

I'm not surprised. Building a large stable zigbee network takes some reading and a bit of planning. Generally, you need one zigbee router every 6-8 zigbee end-devices, like Sengled bulbs. I have one medium size zigbee network with 25 devices of which 8 are routers. I have another larger zigbee network with ~75 devices of which 15 are routers. Both my networks are highly responsive, and I have no missed events.

I would strongly recommend you read this portion of the Hubitat documentation:

How to Build a Solid Zigbee Mesh

That's a very bad assumption. The zigbee coordinator (i.e. hub) and the individual routers (what you refer to as a repeater) build routing tables. These tables are not updated instantaneously. And, both the coordinator and routers have a set number of slots in the table that can be filled with device addresses to send zigbee messages to. With 24 end-devices at varying distances from the coordinator, I would anticipate zigbee messages to be be lost on a regular basis.

In my opinion, the approach you have taken will predispose you toward a poor experience with Hubitat or any other zigbee coordinator.

1 Like

One possible issue is the latency in response with some of the bulbs. Causes events to fire at the wrong time which may impact your rules etc.

Are these bulbs in a group? If not I would create a few groups (maybe in groups of 6 or 8) with "Zigbee Group Messaging" enabled and use those for on/off control and see what happens.

EDIT: I dunno if it's okay to group all those devices at once so thats why I am suggesting several groups. My 8 recessed den lights + 2 table lamp bulbs are sengled and are handled this way and have been working fine.

EDIT2: I am using the "Sengled Element Color Plus" drivers not the legacy ones fwiw.

That is ridiculous. I'm not going to, nor should I have to, buy whatever a "Zigbee Router" is for every 6-8 bulbs.. that would be 6 (minimal) needed. The Hubitat is suppose to handle so many Zigbee devices. And the bulbs having the issue where some of the first bulbs pair to the Hubitat. There are 4 in the Master Bedroom, 6 in the Master Bathroom, 6 in the Hall Bathroom, 4 in the Livingroom, 2 in the pantry, 1 on the porch, and 1 here in the office in the desk lamp. The bulbs furthest away, the porch light, was the last to be paired to the Hubitat, and it has no issues. The first to be paired was the one on my desk, to test the hub out with, and then the Master rooms. Bedroom has no issues, but the Master Bathroom does. And the Hall Bathroom does. None of the other bulbs have issues, just the ones in the bathrooms.

The hub is located in the office, is almost perfectly centered in the home. Zigbee is suppose to have 100 meter distance (at optimal performance). The bulbs having the issue are not anywhere close to that distance way from the Hubitat.

They are grouped. And function was enabled. I've been randomly disabling features, group messaging, optimization, etc.. one by one to see what might be the issue, but no matter how they are configured, it still resulting the same issue.. Random number of the numbers are turning off. Doesn't matter if I group them in 2s or all 6 in the same group. I've tried unpairing them and then re-adding them as well

Correct.

You can do whatever you want. But having a slew of zigbee end-devices without a router for every 6-8 devices is not a recommended setup for ANY zigbee coordinator, not just Hubitat.

2 Likes

Recommend by who. The people trying to sell multiple routers? 6-8 Bulbs is barely enough to fill one room with light.. that's just a outrageous assessment and recommendation. The documentation for Zigbee itself doesn't even recommend that, and states a large number of device that one hub can support..

Or is this a recommendation based on the quality of the Hubitat? Is the Hubitat not capable of providing a reliable system on its own, so it defaults to depending on help from additional devices.

Additionally, the bulbs them self are suppose to repeat the commands, ie a "mesh" type of arrangement.

Did you read the link in the Hubitat documentation that I included above?

The 6-8 number comes from the number of slots available within each router (typically). For example, with the firmware they used to ship with, the Ikea Tradfri repeater supported 6 end-devices. Their updated firmware (released last month) supports more (I've seen up to 9).

Some routers (like Innr zigbee plugs) support fewer than 6-8. I've never seen more than 2 devices route through an Innr zigbee plug.

2 Likes

Have you read the article? Router / Repeater are referred to one in the same in the article.. And Since I have 24 devices connected to main voltage .. their should 28 repeaters (or what you refer to as routers) "Zigbee repeaters may be any device that will always powered by mains voltages"

Unfortunately, Sengled bulbs are not repeaters. Please read the documentation that came along with your bulbs, or the Support FAQ from Sengled's website, linked below:

Edit - so unlike other powered zigbee devices, Sengled bulbs are end-devices. Ergo, a stable network of these bulbs will need routers.

2 Likes

Well that was not the information the Sengled support gave me.

And doesn't explain why this issue ONLY happens when the power switch is used.. There are ZERO issues when the bulbs are turned on/off by the dashboard.

That is indeed unfortunate, because the documentation that accompanies the bulbs and their own website makes it clear that all their bulbs are end-devices. So I'm very surprised that their tech support provided you incorrect information.

1 Like

Ahh. You should also consider trying some of the other zigbee bulb drivers. Like the legacy Sengled driver.

All I received where individual brown thin cardboard box with a bulb inside each box, and some generic information printed on the outside of each box, Ordered 3x 8 Packs on Amazon. I did order some of the Sengled Smart Plugs to use with fans and few other non-smart products, hopefully those work as a "repeaters." I've yet to do anything with them, as wanted to get all the bulbs installed and configured first.

Got some bad news. They aren't repeaters. @razorwing posted that here a while back, and I confirmed it with Sengled support.

Here are some links to relatively inexpensive plugs that work as zigbee routers/repeaters:

https://www.amazon.com/SONOFF-Zigbee-SmartThings-Amazon-Needed/dp/B08GKK89QQ/

https://www.amazon.com/Zigbee-Philips-SmartThings-Google-Required/dp/B07SQGG8Z7/

https://www.amazon.com/Centralite-Outlet-SmartThings-ZigBee-platforms/dp/B07DFPYV4K/

https://www.amazon.com/DOGAIN-SmartThings-Compatible-Assistant-Required/dp/B08G46WWBB/

3 Likes

I ordered some of these (well 2) and stuck them relatively the same amount of distant from the Hubitat in opposite directions.. (Plug) ——— (Hub ——— (Plug) - Not really sure what I would ever use them for, so I kinda just stuck them in outlets that are hardly ever used (mostly just for manual vacuuming, when the iON vacuum gets lazy)

Is that all I need to do? Or is there something in Hubitat I need to do/enable/click to mark these as repeaters?

Leave them plugged in, and don’t move them around too often. But that’s it.