Troubleshooting Sonoff ZBMINIL2: Peculiar Switching Behavior

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your comments and assistance.

I've successfully paired the Sonoff ZBMINIL2.

Following your advice, I changed the driver, and now I can switch it on and off. I'm using a physical relay. However, I've noticed some peculiar behaviors:

• When I click "on" from the dashboard app, it switches on directly. However, to switch it off, I have to click "off," then "on," and then "off" again.
  • When I click "on" from the physical relay button, it switches on directly. Then, when I click "off," it switches off directly.
  • If I mix "on" from the dashboard app and "off" from the physical button, or vice versa, it will always stay on.

I've read through some other threads in the forum, but nowhere was this issue of needing multiple clicks mentioned.

Is there anything I can do to resolve these issues and ensure proper functionality? I'm not overly concerned about the app-to-physical button switch-off issue, but the need for multiple clicks to toggle the switch is inconvenient.

Here is a screenshot of the log when I clicked on, off, on and then off to turn it off

Thank you all for your assistance.

Best regards, Yiannis

Hello again
any ideas of how we could resolve this ?

thanks very much for your help
allt he best
Yiannis

You're controlling the ZBMINIL2 with a relay connected to the switch inputs? Can you clarify and maybe post a picture of the devices and wiring?

I'm not familiar with the ZBMINIL2, but i do have several ZBMINI devices. One thing to note is that the device's internal switch/relay is not "synchronized" with the state of the externally connected switch used for physical control. Toggling the external control switch causes the internal switch/relay to change state. There is no relationship between the ON or OFF states of the ZBMINIs internal relay and and the external control switch.

Also, if you toggle the external control switch from OFF to ON and back to OFF too quickly (two changes of state), the ZBMINI may only "see" the first one and react only once. This could also cause problems if your external control switch is a momentary contact (like a button) instead of a normal switch.

My only other thought would be to verify you have a strong mesh in the area of this device. It seems unlikely to be a mesh issue, but could be helpful to rule it out.

1 Like

Which driver are you using.
I'm using 'Generic Zigbee Switch' and I'm not having any issues.
It's working great.
You mentioned you changed drivers, when you changed did you do a configure afterwards?

1 Like

Here is another thought. Something looked unusual in your log entry so I checked the behavior of one of my ZBMINIs. Here is the log activity for two actions. First I turned the light on, then off, via dashboard (digital) and then from the switch on the wall (physical).

Screenshot 2024-04-06 072704

Your devices and logs are a bit different, but can you see where your "turned on [digital]" entry is followed by an "is on [physical]" entry? That may not be normal. Is it possible that your ZBMINIL2s output is somehow also connected to the switch input terminals? I think I would first start by disconnecting everything from the S1 and S2 terminals and see how it behaves when controlled from Hubitat.

1 Like

@bobbles @dylan.c do you have exactly the same device model ZBMINIL2 ?

There are 4 (four) different ZBMINI models and they probably each model has some 'specifics' ...

Search for 'ZBMINI' on this site :

1 Like

I assume so @kkossev
Here is the info from the 'data' field. It appears to be the same as shown above.

2 Likes

Yep, it is the same. Most of the Sonoff devices are ZCL compliant, so the HE generic Zigbee drivers should be working OK... :thinking:

Is your hub C-8 or older model?

1 Like

It's a C8 running the latest platform version - 2.3.8.134

1 Like

Hi @agapimmo, as asked above, what device driver are you using?

1 Like

Hi to all and tha is so much for your replies.
@dylan.c I am going to check the cables and make a photo when I am back at home.
Thanks so much

@bobbles @kkossev I am running the generic switch driver, I hit configure yes.
My hub is C8 version 2.3.8.134

1 Like

Hi again @dylan.c,

I've just double-checked everything and sent you some photos.

Here's the wiring connection of the switch. The yellow cable corresponds to the orange one on the remote switch:

Here's the translated explanation of the remote relay wiring with all colors (translated from French to English using Google Translate):

And here is the actual photo of the relay

Do you think I need to wire the S1 and ignore the S2 in the switch, or does it not play any role?

Thanks so much for your help
All the best
Yiannis

When I have installed the ones in my house which are connected to a physical switch, S1 AND S2 are connected to the two terminals on the switch to allow for the on/off function.

I'm no expert and unfamiliar in your use case, just sharing my set up.

1 Like

Is that a smart switch you are using along side the Sonoff? I don't think running multiple no neutral modules in series is a correct way of deployment.

1 Like

This is how mine is wired, manual switch across s1 and s2.

1 Like

Are you sure? It doesn't appear as though anything is connected to S1.

1 Like

This is not my picture, it's from @agapimmo.
Mine is wired as per manufacturers instructions above.
The switch turns on/off when the manual switch is toggled.

2 Likes

@user4286 no it is a normal pushbutton (it clicks and has a steel spring)

How do you mean that you connected your switch ? Do I have to connect the s1 with the red cable ?

Your push button should be connected to S1 and S2 as per the diagram.

1 Like