Trane XL850 compatibility

Scanning the internet a while back, I seen where someone developed the screenlogic integration, along with an nexia/american standard/trane integration for "Homeassistant".

...and when I seen you developed the "working" nexia integration for Hubitat I thought I'd at least ask.

So much to learn with all the different protocols and options. The sky's the limit for sure.

1 Like

This is some good stuff. I will be getting an XL850 soon and was wondering how it could integrate. Shout out to @thebearmay for taking the time to port this and continue working on it.

1 Like

Thanks for the port of Nexia Thermostat Manager! Have you considered porting the more recent variation called American Standard Thermostat Manager? In my case, I had to use it instead of the original Nexia version in SmartThings. Here is an excerpt of a community.smartthings.com post:

trentfoley

Apr 2021

It seems Nexia has started white-labeling its app for the different HVAC brands and as a result it seems each brand now has its has its own separate Web management url. My HVAC system is an American Standard. I’ve add a new Smart App specific for American Standard here:

github.com

At a quick glance it looks like it might run without change... If I get some time I'll have to do a feature comparison to see what the differences are.

That would be awesome! I am new to Hubitat, but am a long time ST user. I am in the process of testing out some of the Apps on HE that I expect to lose from ST by the end of the year and this is one of them. Thanks for looking into it - I really appreciate it.

Thank you so much for this! Can you maybe start a new thread for this app? I was only able to find it again because I had commented and received notifications that others had commented. I tried searching for Nexia and couldn't find it.

I also have a question. Using the official app, I can change the run mode to either "Permanent Hold" or "Run Schedule". I know I could always just use the HE Thermostat Scheduler, but I'd prefer to keep that on the thermostat itself since using HE would rely on a cloud connection. What I want to be able to do is have automations that change it from run schedule, so permanent hold. Then it would set whatever cooling/heating setpoints I want. Then when the automation is done, it changes the mode back to run schedule.

Right now, what could happen is I turn on "vacation mode". It sets the cooling setpoint to 80. But then as soon as the next scheduled time on the thermostat comes around, it will change.

Is that something you would be able to implement?

I think I see where I can get to the Permanent Hold, let me dig a little to see if it is an illusion or something I can actually get to.

v1.0.2 is available with the ability to set a "Permanent Hold" and a "Return to Schedule", also adds an additional attribute holdStatus which will display the hold/schedule information.

Release thread is now at:

2 Likes

Finally got around to examining the code, and it appears that there is only one real difference, change line 51 of my code from:

def getServerUrl() { "https://www.tranehome.com/login" }

to

def getServerUrl() { "https://asairhome.com/login" } 

If you can verify that works for you, I'll create a version that let's you pick between American Standard and Trane.

Thanks.

Thank you! Yes, that small change worked for me. Just so you know, I have 3 thermostats with one of them controlling 2 zones and everything seems to work fine. I appreciate your help!

1 Like

Just wanted to say thank you. This worked for my XL950 as well.

1 Like

@thebearmay I don't know how many times I needed something in HE and you were either the source or pointed to a good solution. Thank you!

I am debating between two American Standard (who makes Trane) HVAC systems. The variable speed system requires use of their UX360 thermostat (which connects using Nexia bridge and the asairhome URL/app). The other will work with my existing Ecobee. It sounds like your port will allow me to connect to the thermostat via HE - which will be great.

I do have a couple of questions though. Does the physical thermostat have to connect to a physical Nexia bridge? or can the thermostat (Z-Wave) connect directly to HE?

From the docs it says this:

Learn
To add the bridge to an existing network, follow
your primary controller’s instructions to put the
primary controller into Add Mode. Then press the
Learn button on the bridge.
This function copies a new Z-Wave network to the
bridge from another controller. This function is not
allowed if your bridge is a primary controller with
included Z-Wave devices.

This leads me to believe it CANNOT be added directly to HE and thus would still need the Nexia bridge. Here is the source: https://live-asa-headless-cms.pantheonsite.io/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/012-5063-01B-EN_04072022.pdf

Have you considered making line 51 a variable that could be entered in the app so end users don't have to manually edit code?

Thermostat needs to be logged into Nexia, app and driver manipulates the web client to achieve the desired result.

This line?

def getChildNamespace() { "trentfoley" }

Normally no need to change as it just tells the app where to find the driver code.

this line: def getServerUrl() { "American Standard® Home | Portal" }

Don't see that any more current code reads:

def getServerUrl() { 
    if(useAmerStand) 
        return "https://asairhome.com/login" 
    else
        return "https://www.tranehome.com/login" 
}

Funny - so you did it at some point. I was just reading the thread - don't have the stat or app yet.

Now I just need to find a solution to control my Keen vents like Ecobee Suite does currently - because it only works with Ecobee :(. Decisions, decisions.

1 Like

IIRC there used to be a built-in Keen driver.

I had a Trane variable speed installed a few summers ago and my installer hooked up my Ecobee and didn't force me to use their thermostat. I don't have a variable speed outdoor unit, only the air handler is variable speed. I had a variable speed outdoor unit previous and I don't recommend and neither does my HVAC company.

Say all of this to ask if you can use another thermostat.

The compressor is variable speed - so no Ecobee option for me. Thanks tho!

I think I figured out why the Z-Wave / Nexia part had me confused. With the UX360 the Z-Wave bridge is built into the thermostat not a separate "hub" to install. The wording in their instructions was also confusing - reading it again now, I think they were saying if the built-in bridge has its own Z-Wave network with child devices connected to the built-in bridge.

Now the question becomes will this device driver work with this thermostat... I'm hoping/expecting they stuck with Nexia because of their own platform compatibility.