Tradrfi bulb on hue bridge - cant see bulb

Hey All,
I disconnected my tradfri bulb from its hub, connected it to the hue bridge and have it named and controllable on hue. But when I run the "refresh bulb discovery" it finds 0 bulbs. What can i do ?

Try a reboot of the Hue Bridge, then rediscover.

Also, look to see if it’s already waiting in the drop down to be added.

will try a reboot, the text above the drop down says (0) bulbs discovered.

You are sure that it shows up in the Hue App as connected to your hue hub? Have you assigned it to a room in the Hue App?

@Ryan780 - yes, im sure it shows up. Thats how I have it named and controllable as stated above.

And you've tried rediscovering after rebooting the Hue Hub?

I haven't tried it in the last 2hrs, no. Im at work.

i've rebooted the hue hub and the bulb has dropped off and now wont pair to the hue.
not sure whats happened here.

ive restarted the hue hub, but it wont let me past the pair lights screen. I've tried multiple times with the tradfri but it wont find it. So I dug out the tradfri hub and that needs a driver for the bulb so I had a spare motion sensor... but I cant even pair that tradfri back to the tradfri hub.
Not sure where to go from here, maybe buy a Hue bulb and hook that up to the hue hub and see how I go. So frustrating though.

TRÅDFRI are pretty easy to reset, but their quality control isn’t the best. I’ve had two bulbs with radios that went bad, when initially they were fine.

Try discovering again, reset the bulb when Hue begins searching (power off then on 6 times). The bulb should flash when it resets and will immediately enter pairing mode.

If that doesn't work after several attempts, you likely have a bulb with a faulty radio.

2 Likes

I did try resetting the bulb when HE was doing the search and again a few times with Hue was doing the search, but for the bulb now not being able to be found by the ikea hub it might be dead. The base was very hot so I disconnected it and will give it another try tonight.

I’ve never had that much trouble pairing them with either Hue or Hubitat (for testing). Never more than two attempts. 99% sure you have a bad bulb. IKEA returns are no-nonsense fortunately.

eh for $12 or whatever it was im ok if it died.
Local hardware store has the hue stock bulb for $24 so I got one this morning, will get the bridge past pairing and update its software and then try again.

1 Like

Oh, this is the TRÅDFRI color bulb? That was one of the two that the radio died in. Only works on Hue anyway, and it’s not controllable from HE at this time (except with some tricks that gives limited color control). This is because they use the CIE XY color space. Hue has to convert on the fly. HE will need to do similar, but that’s a low priority for a small dev team.

Tradfri white bulb (well 2500-6500 white) not a colour bulb sorry.

$25 for the Hue? Unless you’re really sensitive to color temperatures, seems a bit much to pay for that odd shaped bulb.

Hmmm - see here in Australia we pay island tax, so $24 for a smart bulb is actually pretty reasonable. These $24 ones are standard looking though.

vs paying almost $90 for a coloured Hue bulb when I am importing 3x RGBW Yeelights for $95 delivered from china.

Ah ok. You mentioned such a low price for the IKEA bulb, I thought you were in the US.

The one smart bulb currently not over $30 due to island tax

1 Like

You actually pay less than I do in Toronto. That bulb after tax is $17.16 AUD if you bought it here. The Colour bulb is $33.81 AUD!