Totally frustrated with the Z-Wave mesh

Troubleshooting steps should always start like:

1. See how it behaves from the device detail page. If it is slow there, then it will be slow everywhere.
  2. If OK on 1, then move to the app that is automating it. Turn on debug logging if available, open the hubitat log in a dedicated window, and then try the automation. See what the log says.

Sorry I missed one question as far as the lighting goes I am using just the simple lighting app. I have not changed anything in the simple lighting since I have switched over to HE about 6 months ago

Okay so here's some more information. I can walk into the kitchen with my mobile phone in hand looking at the live logs. I see the motion sensor has been triggered and the simple lighting app has been triggered saying turning on kitchen lights. But no lights are turned on.

Again, start with the end device, not the automation... Turn the lights on and off from the light device detail page. Do they turn on/off as expected from that page in a timely fashion?

Yes from the devices page I can turn them on and off instantly no problems at all there

That is a strange one as you've said you've changed nothing.
I actually rolled back to the last version of the software as I had a similar issue.
My zigbee table was smashed (*all my repeaters dropped off and weren't connecting) and everything zigbee MS related was broken for me.

That's good at least!!!

Hmmm. I'm at a loss then. It might be worth posting a copy of the logs on here and see if anyone on here can see something based on the logs.

One thing to try, I know you've said you've done reboots. Try and power cycle the hub once by clicking "Shutdown" instead of reboot and unplug the power cord for 30 seconds, then plug back in and try it.

Yes I have done this three times. From the admin click shutdown wait till the hub shuts down unplugged it for at least 5 minutes plugged it back in

I'm at a loss. @bravenel would probably be your best advice. He'll probably want screenshots of logs and the rule page, just a heads up

seems alot of people having zigbee issues after .130

His switches that aren't coming on are zwave, his motion sensors are zigbee and they are logging motion

Both his zigbee and his zwave are showing in the logs as working, he can manually turn them on from the devices page...
I reckon @basic261 - pause that SL rule you have, create another one with the name "test" that is identical (dont clone it) and see if that works / has a different result.

Yup. Glad I stayed at .128. :wink:

Nice theory, but we didn't touch Zigbee in this release.

OK, so now let's figure out "What type of Z-Wave lights or switches you are using?"

Also, when you're in the Device Details page for one of the 'problem lights', does the status change instantly when you click the ON or OFF buttons? I know the light itself changes immediately... I want to know whether the status in Hubitat changes immediately or not.

Also, what driver is being used for these z-wave devices?

Are you using the Z-Wave Poller at all?

1 Like

Fair enough, that was just my experience once updating alot of my devices turned to null and my repeaters stopped working even after power cycling.

Then rolling back to .129 I got them all back from Null and repeaters back in check

Again, just my experience.

When I go into the device for one or both of the lights and click on the status does change to on when I click off status changes to off instantly.

These are GE Z-Wave paddle switches. They are not Z-Wave plus.

driver being used on all my GE paddle switches is the generic Z-Wave switch driver

Thanks for the update... That definitely seems to be the correct driver for them. These are also the Z-Wave switches that caused me to upgrade to Lutron Caseta as I grew weary of their issues.

Are you running the Z-Wave Poller App? If so, try disabling it and letting your Z-Wave Mesh settle down. My experience is that it caused more issues than it solved.

2 Likes

Yes I am running the Z-Wave puller. I will disable this let it come down for a little bit

1 Like