Thirdreality temp/humidity sensor question

I recently bought 4 Thirdreality temp/humidity sensors mainly due to the display and brand, although I am NOT a brand snob.
Two of them have fw 1.00.20 installed and the other two have 1.00.21 installed.
The only driver that I found is the generic zigbee temp/humidity driver and it has the option to set the reporting temp and humidity as well as a "calibration" factor.

The problem I am having is that first, .20 reports as using "application 14" and .21 using "application 15". What does "application" refer to if all 4 are the same model but different fw?
What would this affect?

When I try and change the reporting temperature from the default of 0.5 deg C to 0.25 deg C on the .21 fw, the log indicates:

where fw .20 indicates:

I know why the entry for both, fail for power configuration, because the sensors don't do power, but why does configuration for temp and humidity fail for the .20 fw versions?

The same cluster is being updated, but the .20 fw doesn't seem to like it.

I also tried something and set the reporting temp interval to 5 deg C on the fw .21, yet a change of 0.2 deg F still was reported, so it doesn't seem like the driver is doing anything with these settings. Even a 1% change in humidity is still being reported when I set the reporting interval to 5%, so nothing is changing with either fw version.

What is the difference between "state variables" and "current states"? Why don't they track each other?

You might want to try the Zigbee Reporting Configuration driver by kkossev:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/hubitat-ZigbeeReportingConfiguration/main/Zigbee%20Reporting%20Configuration.groovy

1 Like

The one I had doesn't report FW version -- where did you see it on yours?

Here is my 1.00.21:

and the 1.00.20:

Like I said, I just received these so they are relatively new.
They have a rev of 0.4 and a date of 2022.06.22.
I just checked and all 4 that I got all have the same rev and date number. Just two of them have .20 fw and two have .21 fw.

Thanks! Looks interesting and I'll give it a try! Let you know how it turns out.

Well I gave the driver a quick try and setting humidity and/or temp options didn't seem to make any difference.
Of course I am tired right now so I might have missed something, so I will try when I am more functional (read... awake)!
Thanks for the info though!

Not all zigbee devices will respect reporting configuration requests as they should.
If they don't there is nothing that we can do about it.

2 Likes

That is what I figured..... oh well.
The sensors seem to work good, and a change of humidity of 1% does report but the changes don't seem to flood the zigbee network, so I will test them some more and see if they are worth keeping.

The Zooz ZSE44's that I have been using work good as well, but the intermittent high and low values is what I don't like about them.
Others have said that they don't have this problem, so I may just return them.

I do like the display on the Third Reality sensors though, and that is why I want to use them.

We'll see!
Thanks for all your help!

Mine looks like the 1.00.21, but it doesn't report a softwareBuild.

Looking at reviews on Amazon, it seems like they rolled out a new FW version to problems people were seeing on Home Assistant.

(I got mine from Amazon for free, otherwise I wouldn't even have one)

Yes, I saw that also about the new Home Assistant fw version.
Couldn't see what it was trying to fix though.....

Interesting that it doesn't report a software build..... Are you using the generic zigbee temp/humidity driver?

Yes, just the generic driver.

Thank you.

I also bought 2 of these from Amazon about 3 weeks ago and neither are reporting a software version either. Weird

Thanks for the tip on the Config tool.

@pomonabill220 I think I was able to get mine to take the config changes after running the "Send Configuration Now" a few times in a row.

Does anyone know if that means it worked? I guess I will find out as well if the thing stops reporting the temp every time it changes 0.1F

Mine also does not have the FW version listed.

1 Like

We all have to thank @kkossev for that "snippet" of a driver.
It should be more publicized, even though not all zigbee device conform to using it.

2 Likes

The humidity reporting configuration has failed, I will look at the code later this week.

But even if the reporting configuration is confirmed by the device, it doesn't necessarily mean it will actually work. A lot of devices simply acknowledge the command, without actually doing anything.

2 Likes

That seems to be the case, it is still reporting every change of 0.1-0.2F
It makes a nice chart but I would rather have it report less often if the battery will last 2x longer.

1 Like

I agree! I even see it reporting when there is a 1% change in humidity, which means that when the sensor's humidity reporting jitters 1%, I get a report!
I would MUCH rather see it reporting a 5% humidity change, and a 0.5 deg F change.
That would make a little more sense to me.

Strange that so many of you are not seeing the FW version being reported..... wonder what is different? The driver is the same, so something else?

Thank You all for helping out!

Wish I knew what the debug entries meant and how to read it...

Can you test the sensor with this driver? ( ignore the 'Tuya' and the 'clock' in the driver name..). Please use the development branch version from the second link in that thread. This driver have a much more detailed debug logs, so hopefully, we will be able to understand whether the reporting intervals and the thresholds are actually accepted or not.

You can always return later back to the stock driver that you are using at the moment.