ThirdReality Plug Power Monitoring Washing Machine To Generate Notification To Phone

I have installed a ThirdReality plug in my laundry room and plugged up my washer. Since you can't hear my washing machine from most of my house my goal is to get Hubitat to send me a notification once my washing machine has stopped.

The issue I am having is the indicator light stays on when the washing is done so the power level will remain at 1 even when the cycle is finished. It would be easy to set the rule if it went to zero but it doesn't. To address this I set my rule to if power drops below 2 then send the notification. The issue with that is in between cycles the power also drops to 1 as the washer is going through its logic to move to the next cycle. Then Hubitat sends notifications the laundry is done when it is not. I tried the "power has become and stayed below..." setting it at 2 with a time of 3 minutes. This will not regularly generate a message at all. I must be misunderstanding what that statement means.

To try and get around this I created a virtual switch. Then set the plug to turn the switch on if power goes above 5 and then off if drops below 2. Hence the 1 state with the indicator light. Then I set another rule using that switch that if it is turned off for 5 minutes then to send me a notification that the washer is finished. However, I still in the middle of the run will get notifications it is finished when it has not. Of course I do get the correct one when it is done.

I wanted to reach out to you guys and see what similar implementations that you guys have done and get this newbie some advice on how to make this work accurately.

Quite a few threads on this. Here is one, some searching will find several more.

I use a RM rule I created, but there are three laundry monitors you can find in HPM that were written for this very thing.

Thank you. I have not gotten the hang of finding subjects in here yet. I searched but couldn't find anything. I really appreciate the help.

This rule is what I use. Once the power level of both the washer and dryer drop below 10 watts for 10 minutes, a lamp on the fireplace lights and a Tuya siren beeps.

Currently doing laundry so that is why the washer shows 32 watts.

When motion is detected in the laundry room, the light turns off.

Just in case this may help, here is my RM rule for the checking Washer status and turn on/off washer's hot/cold water valves:

Thank you very much. I will work on it and try to get it to work.

I never thought about water valves. Learn something new on here every day. Thank you for sharing with a newbie.

Internal Washer Machine solenoid valves when turned OFF are creating enormous stress on a water supply hoses. Main point of hose burst failure is right near water supply inlets. One good thing to do is install shock suppressors right near water inlets. Shock Suppressors are next to useless when installed right after supply valves and hoses (unfortunately this is typical). Another good thing is to close water supply when Washer Machine is not used (90% of time or so). I have both things in place plus few water leak sensors placed in a strategical (most probable for water leak) places.

Using your method and logic I have come up with something very similar to your rule. However, I have a question. What is the "END-REP" that you have at the end of your rule? What is it's purpose and if needed what do I do to put that on my rule?

An END-REP ends a repeat, which that rule doesn’t seem to have one. Unless I’m missing something.

I don’t think it does anything.

2 Likes

That was leftover from when I was learning how to make the rule. END-REP is no more. It is an ex-action.

Mine is pretty simple..you need to adjust start and stop.levels and times to suit your machine
. The gisl is to not have the times it stops to refill trigger. Mine is an lg top loader.

I am not at home to screenshot mine but it is very similar to your rule. I tried to keep it as simple as I could. I did however have to add a virtual contact sensor in the mix to move over into Alexa to use as a trigger to get her to announce the completion. Demand from the wife so had to figure it out. Lol.

I noticed you have the last portion announce to Echo Zone. I could not accomplish without the method I used. Can you share how you done this?