Notfication when washing machine is done

Hi all,

I want to get notified when the washing machine finished its cycle. Notification from Alexa and my phone.

How exactly i need to set this?
I used required expression when the energy level is above 0, but i'm not sure about the conditions because i also want it to wait 10 min to sends the notification because sometimes my washing machine stops for 5 min and than continue working.

Doea anyone have an idea?

Here's what I did but I also created a dashboard tile with three different states. Washing, done but not put in dryer, and finished. You can ignore all that.

This rule turns on a light when the laundry is finished.

Google used to announce when the laundry was finished but if I was out of earshot I missed it. I have an imitation Himalayan rock salt lamp on the fireplace mantle that its only purpose is laundry notification.

@yanivsh23

I just use Laundry Manager by @augoisms. Works well. Eazy peezy

2 Likes

Or Better Laundry Monitor...

3 Likes

I set up the following rule but it's not working.
Any suggestions what am i doing wrong?

Another vote for Better Laundry Monitor. Been working reliably for me for about 18 months.

2 Likes

Turn on logging and post the results

One question is what you mean with:

To help with that, you can enable all logging for the rule and then see what logs, filtered to just this rule, show.

My guess, without knowing that: nothing is cancelling your delay, so if you're depending on specific behavior from that switch, something is probably going wrong there (though the notification should still work, so it's also possible the power levels you're looking for aren't happening, or something else -- again, logs are your friend).

I use a rule very similar to this, and it works well for me.

Which I copied a few years ago from @bertabcd1234 , and it has worked great for me as well.

@yanivsh23, here is a screenshot of my rule (which was written before RM added the "and stays that way for x:x:xx" feature)

1 Like

Hi,
Here ia the attached log.

I would not use "80" for both the Trigger and the Wait for Event condition.

What is the max power draw of your washing machine when the cycle is running?

What is the power draw of your washing machine when the cycle is complete?

It might be that 80 is just too close to being in between the two values you really need to use. If you look at my rule above, you can see I use values like >100 to trigger the start of a laundry cycle, and <10 to trigger the end of a cycle. This is for an Electric clothes dryer in my example. For my clothes washing machine, I use >4W as the trigger, and <2W as the end of the cycle.

Take a look at what a typical cycle looks like in terms of power usage, in order to determine the best values to use.

1 Like

That is helpful, but you still never explained what you meant with "not working."

If you really enabled all logging for the rule, then logs make it apparent that your rule never triggered. In that case, it looks like you only clicked "Run Rule Actions," which won't be a good test because you'll still need an event to satisfy that "Wait," and you won't get one without a power report from the machine (which should also trigger the rule).

2 Likes

Utiliza Better Laundry Monitor, y tu vida cambiará hahaha

Hi,

Yes, i only pressed "run actions" and didn't try a "live" test.
I will try this tomorrow and let uou know.
When saying "not working" is that i don't get a phone notification nor Alexa.
When trying to remove the trigger and the wait event i did receive notification so there is something in the trigger or the wait event.
I also changed the rule to "power level" and remove the "wait" but still didn't get notification.
I will do a live test tomorrow.

Thanks!

Yes, there is the fact that you need an actual event to make either the trigger or the "Wait for event" happen, the former of which is needed to set your rule into motion in the first place without needing to hit "Run Rule Actions," and the latter of which is needed regardless of how you get to the actions in order to continue with the rest of the actions, including the notification.

Unless the power levels you've chosen are wrong (i.e., the values you've specified are not what your machine reports in the desired states), this should work as you expect when you actually run the machine. That being said, you can probably leave a wider gap between them, as @ogiewon specified above (and as I did in my original rule I posted a while back that I think many of these were inspired by) -- but it shouldn't technically matter.

If something unexpected happens then, logs will again be your friend to figure things out -- just like they were this time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can create a virtual omni sensor and use it instead of your actual device to test this rule. Once you understand how your rule works you can change it back to your actual device.

After one cycle it works great with the current rule.
Thank you all!

2 Likes

I would suggest triggering on a much higher value (80 like you had before should be fine), if nothing else because it could reduce the number of "false positives," but glad you found something that worked!

1 Like