Third Reality Smart Light Switch

Third Reality Smart Light Switch (Gen2 1Pack)
I wanted to install a smart switch for a light in our kitchen but did not want to go with smart bulbs which require another device or pay a small fortune for the GE smart switch in either Zigbee or Z-Wave Plus. I came across this Third Reality Smart Lighting Switch and since it was a more reasonable price, I decided to order one.

It comes with the switch, two backing plates (one for standard switch and one for rocker style switch), screws, washers, and batteries. The write-up on Amazon stated it works with Alexa, Google Home, and Smart Things so I thought it would likely work with Hubitat.

It came this morning. It was easy to pair, but detected as a device. It took a couple of minutes to find the "Generic Zigbee Switch" in the drop-down list for the device type. Once I did that, the switch operates as expected.

This is a mechanical device that, when activated, uses a small motor to turn a shaft with a spiral track. At either end is a part that will protrude in either the Off or On position. The shaft works a standard switch and the protrusions work a rocker switch. The proper mounting plate is attached over the switch plate with the two screws, one above and one below the switch. If the existing ones are long enough, they can be used but new ones as well as spacer washers which can be used if needed are there as well.

Once paired and mounted, it was easy to integrate this smart switch into my HSM module. I will also be adding a simple lighting rule for it. So far, it looks like it will be a good option to add functionality to a switch for a lower price. The down side is that the backing plates in my house are all almond colored and this device is white. Also, it sticks out so it could be bumped. It is more expensive than a WiFi or Bluetooth switch but I already have a robust Zigbee mesh working so I wanted to stick with Zigbee devices. Still, it is much less expensive than other Zigbee smart switches I considered.

Bottom line: I recommend this as an alternative to a more expensive smart switch.

3 Likes

When I read your description I thought it must be really ugly but then I looked at the link. They did a pretty good job of making it a clean design. I am impressed. I would think this would really appeal to someone who is renting . . .

2 Likes

You might also want to look at these. I have 6 of them so far and they are rock solid. The attach the same way (just covers the light switch). The only "issue" I have found is that they don't seem to register release very well in rules.

I looked at the Sylvania/Osram switch, but the reviews were not so good. I thought the TR switch would be better.

1 Like

Yeah, I read the same reviews initially and truth be told, they SUCKED on SmartThings. On HE, they have been great and I can't beat the price.

I'd be interested in hearing your experience with the Third Reality switches after a few days. I like the look of them.

The version 1 had a metal plate and was a little thicker. V2 is nicer looking and so far, is working great. Like I said, I have a pretty robust Zigbee mesh since I have a number of Zigbee devices including two Iris Smart Outlets which act as repeaters so Zigbee is solid. I only have a few Z-Wave items but they have been steady also. I think that most of the problems I read about have to do with not having enough items to build a robust mesh network.

1 Like

We have had a built in zigbee driver for this device for 6 months now at least. If some one can provide the newest fingerprint I'll add it to the existing driver.

How does one provide a fingerprint?

This is what is under "Data" for the TR switch:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 07
  • model: 3RSS008Z
  • manufacturer: Third Reality, Inc

The zigbee fingerprint is currently only available during the join process by selecting the more button prior to leaving the discovery page.
So maybe you can catch it when you join the next one.

Or, I could remove this one and then re-pair it. That should not be too difficult.
Edit: I need to get instructions from 3Reality on how to reset the switch so I can put it back in Pairing Mode.

1 Like

Manufacturer: Third Reality, Inc

Product Name: Device

Model Number: 3RSS008Z

deviceTypeId: 109

manufacturer:Third Reality, Inc
address64bit:282C02BFFFE03248
address16bit:510C
model:3RSS008Z
basicAttributesInitialized:true
application:07
endpoints.01.manufacturer:Third Reality, Inc
endpoints.01.idAsInt:1
endpoints.01.inClusters:0000,0004,0003,0006,0005,0019,0001
endpoints.01.endpointId:01
endpoints.01.profileId:0104
endpoints.01.application:07
endpoints.01.outClusters:0001
endpoints.01.initialized:true
endpoints.01.model:3RSS008Z
endpoints.01.stage:4

1 Like

I just bought a couple Third Reality switches. I've got one paired as a generic Zigbee switch but was wondering if there's a built-in device type. If so, what's the name? I'm not seeing anything related to Third Reality in the device type list.

tested devices and their associated drivers are noted here:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

so in this case, that's the correct driver

2 Likes

Perfect. I knew there was a compatible device list but didn't realize it included the device type to be used. I'll be bookmarking it for future reference. Thanks!

It works great. The only thing – it doesn't expose battery levels (well, as it is a generic Zigbee switch, which, I guess, is supposed to be wired). I've tried the Preferences Manager, but I guess the driver should expose the property before it can be seen by any app.
I mean, it will blink on low battery, but that's just low tech :sweat_smile:

Has anyone met the issue of the status of the switch being opposite?
When the status is ON, the position of the physical switch is OFF.
How to deal with that?

Check the booklet, there's a way to reverse that on the switch.

1 Like

It has been a long time since I have had to deal with the switch since it is simply so reliable. Is it holding the button? That would be something to try.

@rcjordan thanks so much for your hint. :+1:
Find the information from the manual:

Inverted On/Off status
If you find that the switch on/off status is inverted, press the Smart Switch button for around 10 to 15 seconds. The status will be corrected once the blue LED lights up, then release the hold.

1 Like

Yes, my naughty son changed its status :sweat_smile:

1 Like