Third Reality Motion Sensor Battery Reporting

This has been mentioned in various threads, but I haven't seen anyone post this error. Hoping it will be helpful for debugging.

My Third Reality Motion sensor is reporting 39-44% battery even with new batteries. When I hit configure on the device page I get these errors in the logs. Hoping this helps:

please post a screen shot of the data section of the driver details.

@mike.maxwell, my thirdreality motion sensor is not reporting battery at all. I'm using the generic zigbee drivers.

I do see some errors in the logs. Could these be causing the battery reporting failure.

try the no temp version, be sure to run configure after changing it.

I'm using the no temp version. and I did configure after changing the driver when I added these sensors.

When did you add them? IIRC, battery status updates took a day or so to populate for my Third Reality stuff when I initially added a new device, but I may be misremembering that.

They've been on the HE for over a week now. Report motion and trigger rules fine. But, don't show battery status at all, just motion.

Another long shot, but did you update their firmware? A f/w update for some 3R stuff (including motion sensors) was made available not too long ago... I recently took my 3R motion sensor out of service (after I updated it), so I unfortunately can't confirm what that latest firmware version # is.

I already tried hitting the update firmware button a few times (separate times), but don't see any updates happening. I did notice that one of the other sensors has a different firmware version though. However, even with a different fw, the battery value is not shown. is anyone else using this sensor able to see the battery %age?
The logs indicate some issue while reporting the power attribute.

That log entry tells me the device isnt capable of reporting battery levels.

wow, that would be a shame on 3R then. Not sure why would that be. Wonder if a firmware update from them should fix it. I will try to add one of these to the ST and see if it reports the battery there. I still have my ST hub purring in the cabinet for few of the wifi devices, i haven't ported over yet. I will report back tomorrow.

not sure if this is relevant to HE. But, as per this link seems the device is capable of reporting battery levels - Wireless Motion Sensor - deCONZ REST-API

I ordered some on BF and installed one ~ a week ago. I have this data so far:

event_time	name	event_value
2022-12-06 06:31:50.338	battery	100
2022-12-07 06:31:44.807	battery	100
2022-12-08 06:31:41.435	battery	100
2022-12-08 18:31:40.521	battery	100
2022-12-09 18:31:37.754	battery	100
2022-12-10 08:54:26.097	battery	100
2022-12-11 06:31:33.888	battery	100
2022-12-12 06:31:31.799	battery	100
2022-12-12 18:31:31.046	battery	100

I upgraded the firmware somewhere along there from (IIRC 18 -> 31)

Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor (no temp) driver

Interesting. Your firmware version also looks different than mine. Not sure where to get the firmware updates. I looked on the WWW, but couldn't find any resource for these. I will also try to remove and repair them and see if that helps at all.

As far as I can tell, the firmwareMT didn't change when I updated the firmware, but the softwareBuild is what changed. Zigbee firmwares are built into the hub. There's an "Update Firmware" command available for the device if a firmware is available. I've only ever updated this motion sensor and a couple Hue outdoor motion sensors on the ZB side.

Weird, so i removed and paired this to my ST hub, and battery an all other information can be seen using a developer provided edge driver.

I then tried multiple unpair/pair attempts with HE hub and finally see some difference. However, while now some info is available, some is missing. And moreover battery now shows as 200 instead of 100. :slight_smile:

Screenshot from ST:

I've had one since May and it's reporting 68% battery.

Has there been any progress on the battery reporting? I just noticed that mine is reading 44% with new batteries.

Edit: Here is the information about the one I have in service:

endpointId: 01
application: 17
firmwareMT: 1233-D3A1-00000017
manufacturer: Third Reality, Inc
model: 3RMS16BZ
softwareBuild: 00000017

I tried clicking on the "Update Firmware" button, but nothing happens other than the button flashes a darker grey before reverting back to the lighter grey.

I just replaced the batteries in two motion sensors. Both reporting batteries at 43% but seem to be working OK.

After hitting the update button you can view progress in the logs. It counts off in 10% increments.

I can’t remember exactly but I think mine took roughly 90 seconds for every 10%.

After it finishes, i think you need to hit configure again (if not somebody will correct me) and then some time later a refresh or by activating motion should bring up the new info.