Thingshield replacement for arduino over zigbee now available for hubitat

I have some pet-immune exterior PIRs I am wiring up to MCUs. Had no problem wiring up two in series to a Fibaro Smart Implant. Trying to do the same on my Mona-Lisa boards now, but not having any joy yet.

The PIR is powered up & did continuity test on the NC/COM outputs from it - working fine. Wiring from digital input 1 on the Mona-Lisa: Ground to COM and DIN1 to NC. On the driver side, have tried settings of Pulled up, Pulled down and No Pull. But watching the device page on HE during the tests and there is no change - contact remains closed.

Any suggestions please?

Hi, Maybe the digital signal is the wrong voltage levels?
Also check that you can see digital inputs at all, by holding / not holding the button on the monalisa and looking at digital input 3.
Try and analog input to the monalisa, and see if the analog value changes when the PIR is on/off.

Got it sorted, thanks @haas
Seems it was a connection issue between the Mona Lisa & the Zigbee network rather than a wiring issue.

I have this device connected to my habitat Hub c7 and it is working but I am not clear on what the attribute “text :” in Current States should be showing me. I think it’s whatever string is coming into the serial connection on pins 3&4 but what I’m getting isn’t exactly what I’m sending via an Arduino MEGA2560.

The string being sent should look something like this: “Temp1 xx.x Temp2 xx.x Temp3 xx.x Temp4 xx.x Temp5 xx.x Temp6 xx.x Temp7 xx.x Temp8 xx.x Temp9 xx.x”

What I’m getting is random pieces of the string preceeded by “60 “. An example is “60 Temp2 -196.” It does not even always include a complete pair of the string of space delimited "name value" pairs. Yet what it does return, eventually, covers most if not all of the string being sent each time the loop runs at 15 second intervals.

Changing the timing has no effect on the string length which the driver displays, only how often it updates.

Looking at the logs the text is identical to what is being displayed. Does the Thing Shield limit the string length it sends back to the hub?

Remember there is a 14 character limit to each send string. Also each string ends with a (.) period.
I would guess your string may be seen like:

Temp1 xx.
x Temp2 xx.

etc.

Btw I prepend each message with ! to make it easy to parse.

UPDATE
Thinking some more.... I suggest you do something like:

!T1xx,xx.
!T2xx,xx.
etc

When reveived replace the , with a period.

Or multiply the temp by 10 the after received divide by ten.

1 Like

Thanks I suspected there was a character limit to each string. That means I'll need to break up data into shorter strings. Any idea how much delay between strings will be required to allow the message to be forwarded and avoid conflicts?

Probably not more than a few messages per second, but it depends on the system, how fast the hub gets and processes commands.
If you want back pressure to limit your timing and check that messages are being received, use the messages passed back to the Arduino in the gotCommand function (e.g. in my example sketch). I think you'll get some response back from the hub acknowledging each command you send it. You could wait for that before sending another command, for example.

Dr Haas,

I can no longer pair my MonaLisa board to Hubitat. I have another board already paired and it continues to work great.

Have you heard of difficulty pairing?
I now have a [C8] but I fired up my old [C7] but still could not pair.
Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
John

Did you reset the Mona Lisa?
Hold button during power on.
Then pair.

Many times. Have you tried to pair recently?
Originally they all paired easily. But now no joy.

• I've shut down my WiFi
  • turned off all my Zigbee repeaters.
  • varied my distances from the hub.
  • tested with an old hub
  • I've tried all variations of resetting the MonaLisa while the hub was already in the pairing mode and vice versa.

All with out success.

So I've run out of ideas. So if you can still pair can you tell me the Hub and Hub firmware version? Else I think there maybe dark magic descending on my system.

Hey John, I have a board but never connected it. However I have had experience with trying to pair devices that were previously connected to my other HE. I did a simultaneous channel switch C7<->C4 and ever since then(13+months) I am unable to pair a device previously connected to the C4, now that the device lives on the C7. It just happened with my Hue motion sensor. I had to shutdown my C4 in order to get the Hue to pair back to the C7 after it fell off the C7.

So do you have a hub the mona lisa has never been connected to? And simultaneously shut off all other Zigbee hubs?

I suspect that HE maintains some kind of DB for device MACS and it seems the DB never gets cleared, unless possibly by doing a full Zigbee reset?

When originally working with these devices I was on my C4 then the C7. Now I'm on a C8.

I resurrected the C7 (C4 is long gone).

It paired to the C7 one time. But could never pair again (after removing it.) Still no luck pairing this device.

I deleted all Zigbee devices, reset the Zigbee radio a few times. No joy.

If someone with a Haas board could pair it on a C8 then I'll look at my end, else I'll think some software changed and I see if I can track it down.

Maybe something has broken on your MonaLisa board. Or have you had the same issue with multiple boards?

1 Like

I just pulled one of my MonaLisa Haas boards out of a drawer. I factory reset it, and was then able to pair it immediately with my C-8 hub. All of my Zigbee repeaters are HA1.2 repeaters (Lowes Iris 3210-L outlets) in case that might make a difference.

I used my custom driver, and everything seems to work like I remember it.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ogiewon/Hubitat/master/Drivers/haasti-zigbee-parent.src/haasti-zigbee-parent.groovy

1 Like

I actually have two Mona Lisa boards. An early rev with the jumpers, and a later rev with the reset button. I was able to pair them both with my C-8 hub.

Looks like the procedure that worked best for me was to hold the reset button (or put a jumper on the reset pins for the early rev) and then power the board. After a few seconds, I then powered the board back down. I started the Zigbee pairing process on Hubitat, and then powered the MonaLisa back up without holding the reset button (i.e. remove the jumper if old rev.) Within about 30 seconds, the C-8 found the board and it paired without issue.

1 Like

I've had the same issue with two boards, however only one was a MonaLisa.

@ogiewon
Thanks so much for pulling them out and pairing them for me. It verifies it is possible and its not a result of some firmware change. I thought I tried every possible combination of steps but I'll try what you suggested.

UPDATE:
Tried you procedure with no luck. However knowing they can be paired is important. Now I'm going under the assumption my board(s) have been damaged.

Although I know better I'm very lax with ESD protection. Perhaps this bit me this time.

1 Like

@ogiewon

I replaced the radio board on my MonaLisa and it paired immediately!

Thanks again for testing your boards. It would have taken me a while to suspect that I had two boards that went bad.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you were able to actually find the faulty component and repair it! Very nice!

Actually it was pretty easy, I just replaced the whole CC2530 board. The hardest part was unsoldering the old part.

1 Like