"They" just got Android Auto Integration

It looks like Home Assistant recently got Android Auto integration. It's pretty basic because EVERY device, entity, etc. gets imported and it doesn't look like you can't use dashboards instead... yet. I have an Android Auto device coming tomorrow so I plan to experiment with the HA/AA integration. Has anyone figured out a way to integrate HE with Android Auto?

3 Likes

I have Alexa installed in my infotainment system, and SmartThings available via AA.

It sounds neat but it's not overly useful.

I have presence routines to trigger lights, etc when we get close to home when out.

To me, Android Auto is very intrusive, because the car is in control rather than the phone.

1 Like

Can you elaborate? In control of what, exactly?

2 Likes

New car, stereo or something else?

I WISH!!!!

Its an external device called Carpuride. It's purely an experiment and most likely will be returned. It works with Android Auto, Apple Car Play and also can mirror my phone if I don't like the AA using Mirror Link. Unfortunately, Mirror Link only works wired.

If I end up keeping it, I suspect that I might go the Mirror Link option despite it being wired. I like the setup I have for my phone using a Tasker-created car mode utilizing Maker API & http requests but I have always been curious about Android Auto.

Thanks to Amazon, I have up to 30 days to play.

So this doesn't connect to your existing sound system from what I think I understand (talks about it's own speaker capabilities. What's your planned main use - bigger navigation screen, or ?

It relies on either FM modulator (NO!) or 3.5mm aux cable. It can BT to your car stereo but not also BT to phone at same time unfortunately. Yes, a bigger screen is the goal with the ability to try AA. My Camry has a nice spot low below stock radio to fit the 7" version and almost look like it belongs (I think). I will find out tomorrow.

2 Likes

Bummer...that would have been ideal, then! I'm using a 3.5mm cable for connecting to a BT connector in my car, so that would work for me as well but I have zero space for any additional screens, no matter how small, unfortunatetly.

The original owner of my car put in an aftermarket system that included navigation and was probably pretty impressive at the time, but is quite aged/limited now. One audio guy I had look into it said the previous owner had "made a royal mess of things" when they installed it, and he wasn't even quite sure why it was working, stuff was cut-off/re-routed all over the place. [eek!] So I've left it alone and really only use it to channel audio from my phone via the BT connection.

Have fun and report back!

When the phone comes near the car with bluetooth enabled, the car assumes, you want to use android auto. So even if your wife has her phone paired for android auto, and you are driving it, it will access her phone. Even if she is in the living room and you are in the garage.
Intrusivie.

That’s now called “a Harry !”

As in “jeez I made a Harry of that “

2 Likes

While my vehicle has Android Auto, it was only available using a wire (wireless option was released the next model year).

This past Christmas I received a Motorola MA1 wireless AA device.
It works well for audio and map use, when i need it.
Most times i use the vehicles built-in navigation and apps though.

Huh? The phone is in complete control with AA. At its core, AA only provides I/O ( touch input and display) to the phone. All the apps run on the phone. That's what allows Google to make changes to AA, users to add apps, etc. without requiring any changes to the headunit.

2 Likes

That has not been my experience. Once a phone is paired for android auto, the car always wants to continue to pair. Very annoying to want AA for a trip via google maps, but then have the car nag your every time the phone is in the car. There is no "turn off AA" on the phone. You can unpair it in the vehicle, but not on the phone. To me the phone should be in charge, not the car.
Yes the car just provides an interface and display, but it is the INSISTENCE of always using it rather than being easily able to enable/disable via the phone.

You don’t have an option to not automatically Bluetooth pair with specified devices when they come in range of your phone?

1 Like

I don't think Android has that option...Don't see it on my Galaxy S21. I had a similar issue w/my wife's car which would pair automatically w/both my wife and my phones when we got into her car. We really wanted hers to be the primary in her car, but mine always joined first for some reason. Removed and re-added mine and the same. So just removed it and don't use BT in her car.

But I'm sure there must be an app that can do that...

Ah, may have found a way, not obvious, but might work. Pair w/the BT device/car, etc. Then hit the settings cog for that device pairing on the phone and turn off Calls and Audio connection types. So you'd still be paired, but probably would have to turn on the connection types in settings when you wanted to connect...haven't tried it but that might work.

1 Like

That didn't take long to get the HARD NO for me. I think it would be fine if all you want is Android Auto in its most basic form but, like most of us here, I want to customize some things and it all doesn't work together.

The cons with Android Auto:

• Your phone must be connected both with BT and Wifi to the Carpuride. It won't allow for a VPN to be connected so that means that I can't get to any of my HE hubs or Home Assistant thru my Wireguard Split Tunnel. EDIT: This also kills my OwnTracks integration from being able to get to MQTT server on home network.

• In the few times I connected thruout day, it was inconsistent for AA to start.

The cons with Homelink:

• It requires my phone to be plugged into Carpuride to use. I have a wireless charging dongle for my phone that I wouldn't be able to use.

• Homelink doesn't use the entire screen of the Carpuride and the result is that it is not much larger than my phone screen.

• It was not consistent responding to screen presses on Carpuride.

Bottom line is that the device is good for what it does. I just have an unusual list of criteria.

Oh well, too bad. Thanks for the detailed feedback on the unit. Requiring simultaneous Wi-Fi and BT connect would be a full stop for me as well. The inconsistent AA starts also don't bode well.

I may have to bite the bullet at some point and see if I can find an audio shop that will dive into my mess...

That's not true. Settings->Apps->Android Auto->Additional Settings in the App->Previously Connected Cars->(select car)->Forget. Also, some headunits provide a setting for connect always/ask/never. And all (?) allow you to exit from AA and get back to the native interface.

2 Likes

I've confirmed this works w/my wife's car, at least.

1. Pair phone to car normally, allow Calls and Audio connections.
  2. Play something to verify working w/car bluetooth
  3. Hit the Gear icon next to the car in your BT list and turn off Calls and Audio connections.
  4. Turn off the car

When I did above, resarting the car did not re-connect my phone automaticall. But it's still paired so if I want to connect I can.