Thermostat Choices

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.
The only version I could find for my CT100 is 'Rev A' printed on the back. The manuals don't mention it at all.
I just got a new CT32 delivered today and thought I'd play with it until my CT100 Plus arrives. So far, it appears better than the CT100 but still not good enough. When I increment both the heat and cool setpoints at the same time, the CT100 fails to increment both about 50% of the time. The CT32 only fails once or twice out of 10 attempts.
Better, but no cigar. ;-(
The heat/cool change over in auto mode does seem quicker. Still testing that.

That is not in the manual for the CT100 nor the CT32 and I tried it on the CT32 and it doesn't work. It IS in the manual for the CT100+ so I intend to try that when it gets here.
I suspect that works on the newer models but not the older ones.
Or were you replying to someone else?

I was just posting it for anyone who has a CT100 or a CT101 would post back. My theory is that there is a firmware issue with those thermostats which is creating the symptoms we are seeing. I am interested to see what version the CT100+ is running.

I have the same issue with a 3m-50... I don't think its firmware as mine worked solid when I was using ST, unless ST did something under the hood and sent the command a hundred times. As it stands right now, I send one command at a time and put a delay of 5 seconds in between each. It makes for a overly long rule and is cumbersome as heck when I need to make a change.

This might have something to do with it:

I was wrong about not being able to get the firmware level on the CT100.

CT100 that I've been using for several years: F1.07, 9.10 (note no 'r' for the radio firmware)

CT32 that I used for a couple of days: F1.00, r10.01

CT100 Plus that I'm currently testing: F1.00, r10.07

Hope this helps.

BTW, which symptoms are you looking for?

I bought the Trane 524 but not having any luck pairing it. Did you?

Sorry, I ended up with the centralite. I couldn't get anyone to confirm that the Trane would work

I have been looking at Z-wave and Zigbee thermostats. Though I have read much of this thread, it is a bit dated.

How has the pearl worked out?

Are there any the community would recommend? Note that ease of installation is not a selling point for me, far more concerned with ongoing usage, integrated sensors, HE and ST integration. It’s own driver if that is better than generic would be a plus.

I have the Pearl, but removed it and went back to the Zen. The reason: no automatic changeover from heating to cooling. In the spring and fall, there are too many days and nights where it is warm enough to require AC followed by a short spell of cold enough to require heat, then repeat. After removing and factory resetting the Zen, it has been behaving very well. At least I did not pay much for the Pearl.

I tried 2 Pearls. Didn't like them. First, they just didn't look good on my walls. Second, no matter what I tried, the battery level always started out at 80. I changed to the KONOz and haven't looked back. They look great and I've had zero issues with functionality. I was a Nest user for years.

3 Likes

I use a Zen thermostat. The human interface Is very clean and straight forward. It can’t intrinsically schedule temperature changes, but it doesn’t need to. I do that with HE. It speaks Z-wave, so it is a natural fit with HE and it is completely local control.

It’s simplicity makes it much less daunting to approach by non-techies. Add to that, when you aren’t interacting with it in person, it blends into it’s surroundings. It is just a white box on the wall. My wife and I like it better than anything else we have used.

1 Like

I also can't recommend the Pearls as I am looking to switch away from them. For starters the generic zigbee driver doesn't work 100% - the operating state doesn't report correctly within HE.

The cycling/deadband/swing temperature on the Pearl is just too much. The minimum it can be set to is 1 degrees and that is misleading since it's really 2 degrees. The house goes from too hot and somewhat uncomfortable to too cold to often.

I just ordered a Vivint Element Thermostat and am going to try one out before I switch over both.

1 Like

I'm still recommending the Vivint CT-200. Wonderful, pretty, little thermostat :slight_smile: @JasonJoel just made a driver for it, too!

2 Likes

@adamkempenich I looked over the Vivint website. It seems you cannot buy anything without calling them for a consultation. Is that really the case?

1 Like

As far as I know - yes. I think we are all buying them off eBay.

3 Likes

Someone had also been selling one locally on Facebook a while back. I almost bought it ... but didn't need another one :laughing:

I have a Honeywell T6 Pro and am very happy. I also have an older TH8320Z and am happy with that as well.

My criteria: Control the heat (boiler - baseboard hot water) without huge over shoot. The Honeywells seem to have an algorithm the mimics the old mechanical anticipator using a variable PWM approach. I dislike thermostats that have a simple bang-bang approach. i.e. goes on at a degree below setpoint and off a degree above setpoint.

Other than that I wish the Honeywells could set the minimum heat setpoint and maximum setpoint. They only do the Max heat and min cool.

In general I think thermostats are much larger than need to be, Unless you don't have a C connection and must run 100% on batteries I don't see the need for 4 x AA. I would like to see a thermostat in the 2" x 2" range, with a simple face.

The prior owner left a hole much larger than they should have, in my case :confused: