Thermostat Choices

Someone had also been selling one locally on Facebook a while back. I almost bought it ... but didn't need another one :laughing:

I have a Honeywell T6 Pro and am very happy. I also have an older TH8320Z and am happy with that as well.

My criteria: Control the heat (boiler - baseboard hot water) without huge over shoot. The Honeywells seem to have an algorithm the mimics the old mechanical anticipator using a variable PWM approach. I dislike thermostats that have a simple bang-bang approach. i.e. goes on at a degree below setpoint and off a degree above setpoint.

Other than that I wish the Honeywells could set the minimum heat setpoint and maximum setpoint. They only do the Max heat and min cool.

In general I think thermostats are much larger than need to be, Unless you don't have a C connection and must run 100% on batteries I don't see the need for 4 x AA. I would like to see a thermostat in the 2" x 2" range, with a simple face.

The prior owner left a hole much larger than they should have, in my case :confused:

Previous owner left a irregularly shaped hole that was about 3"x2" in the wall. And positioned the thermostat directly below a supply register. Genius.

1 Like

I learned at my first house to seal the wire hole with foam or something. The temperature was periodically going crazy. I found out (even though the thermostat had a 2nd floor above) that cool air would come out of the wire hole when the wind was blowing. The hole was only ~ 1/2 in in diameter.

1 Like

@JohnRob, then I recommend the Zen thermostat. It doesn’t try to be a timer, home automation system, weather station, or anything else. It is a very simply a thermostat, and I t works well. When not in use it becomes a discrete white box on the wall (about 4” x 4”).

It has a very simple interface. Touch to get the current temp. Press and hold the displayed temperature to see the set point. Press the up/down arrows to change it. Press and hold the set point temp to confirm it. When viewing the set point, press left/right to change the mode (Cool, Heat, Auto, Fan). It really is that simple.

Mine was the same - but directly below the single return duct for the furnace, ensuring overshoot in both directions.

1 Like