Possible to change polling/refresh rate for z-wave devices?

I currently have my network of z-wave switches linked to my hubitat hub. They are then linked to homebridge via the plugin/app. Things work relatively well, but there is one situation where I encounter issues. If I manually turn a switch on or off using the physical switch itself, its status doesn’t update in the iOS Home app unless I go in and toggle the device on and off again via the app. It seems to be some sort of refresh or polling issue. I can’t find any settings anywhere to control a polling rate, so I’m at a loss to whether there’s anything I can do. Anyone have any suggestions?

UPDATE

I did a little more digging, and it looks like it’s the hubitat that isn’t updating the device status. When viewing the web interface, I have to manually hit the refresh button for the status to update. Once that happens, it displays correctly in the iOS Home app.

There is no "polling rate". There are numerous threads about this topic. SmartThings polls z-wave devices every 10 seconds, which is huge overkill. Hubitat does not poll devices. Some z-wave devices fail to report "physical" events. In some cases this is an artifact of the Lutron patent on instant reporting dimmers. Some manufacturers, to avoid paying Lutron a license fee, simply did not report these events. GE/Jasco switches in particular are prone to this problem.

Some users have "solved" this problem by setting up Rule Machine triggers using Periodic, to manually poll the devices that are problematic. This is a better solution than polling every z-wave device for obvious reasons.

Gotcha, thanks. I actually found one of the threads right after posting, and I think I got it under control with Rule Machine.

@murray.sean.d How did you setup your rule to POLL the non reporting Z Wave devices?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.