The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

Its hard to find too much sympathy for that, when those of us with primarily zigbee devices are going to have to reset each one and pair it to the new hub from scratch. :stuck_out_tongue:

We don't know that yet. I'm going to hazard a guess that a C-7 to C-8 zigbee migration will work without a device reset .....

5 Likes

The antenna specs resemble a 4G antenna. I wonder if a 4G antenna with more gain will work.

1 Like

But a C-7 to C-7 Hub Protect migration does require a reset and re-pair of each Zigbee device (which results in it falling back into the same device, without disturbing things that used that device). It still took me 2 days to migrate 110 Zigbee devices.

3 Likes

Correct. So I'll bet they'll chose a zigbee chipset that permits writing a previously backed up zigbee database for the C-8.

4 Likes

So it looks like there is 4 radios in here. 2 of which are seperate zigbee radios which will allow thread. 2 zigbee, 1 z-wave (likely 800 series chip given the C8 designation), 1 wifi.

Though I may be reading it wrong.

5 Likes

If that's the case this looks like it's going to be an absolute powerhouse all inclusive platform.

3 Likes

The hub isn't even announced and you are already modifying it.

LOL

13 Likes

I can see it now....

"What protocol do my devices need to be to directly integrate with the hub?"

"Yes"

4 Likes

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

12 Likes

Wish they built a speaker into it. Nice to have one easy tts speaker. Honestly im semi-excited. Maybe Zigbee will get 3.0 and support some of those funky brands like Aqara, Ikea, and Linkind. Also wish they put in some sort of extra functionality ie android tv box, router, etc. Seems like thats the direction the industry is drifting towards.

Router seems the best place to gain more customers. Team up with GL.Inet or something to put wireguard adguard, vpn, tailscale and other useful networking tech in it, plus some upgradable storage. I can dream as its 100 percent unlikely.

1 Like

I'm sure it will be zigbee 3.0. Can't imagine them using a zigbee chipset in 2023 that isn't zigbee 3.0 and Thread compatible.

Opinions differ, but I like to keep my hardware separate. I know enough people with eero routers who cannot figure out how to turn the zigbee radio off. And keeping hardware separate lets users upgrade just the portion they need to ......

16 Likes

Would be useless for the majority of people that hide it away.

14 Likes

BTW guys, there's another huge hint in the FCC docs.

The Zigbee chipset supports the lower zigbee channels (i.e. 912-920 MHz) and the upper zigbee channels (2405-2480 MHz). This further narrows down the possible zigbee chip being used. It would guess either Texas Instruments CC1352 or SiLabs Mighty Gecko.

Since the z-wave chips have to come from Silabs, I'm going to guess Mighty Gecko.

Both also support Thread.

14 Likes

Very excited about this portion since I have a small collection of stuff that my loving wife got for me as gifts that are Thread or Bluetooth only.

1 Like

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it true that in order to use Zwave LR devices the hub has to be 800 series?
Also, another question.
The lower zigbee channels - does that mean no more wifi interference?

1 Like

AFAIK, 800 or 700 series, with the appropriate controller firmware.

1 Like

Hard no for me.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

17 Likes

No. I don't think Hubitat will be using those. And there aren't many zigbee devices I know using them either. The exception is the ecobee thermostat and the ecobee remote sensors.

@jtmpush18 - check this out

1 Like

I would say no, Hubitat already announced that the C7 is LR ready. Not sure if or when that will happen, but there is a post by bcopeland outlining this capability.

3 Likes