The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

Good. I'm going to put a tab of velcro on it anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, because they are saved on the devices and not the hub!

Agreed, my hub typically runs at less than 0.1 load average, and I have only once seen free memory go below 100mb, at which point it was still working fine. I am running Echo Speaks and both Homebridge (user) and Homekit (Hubitat) integrations, among other things.

I have seen some very badly coded community apps and drivers which in some cases can wreak havoc on the hub in a very short time.

1 Like

Mine went down to 80 and still ran fine but that was during beta of the platform. I haven't had it go down to that level since then.

Is the C8 Thread compatible?

I believe somewhere it was determined that the Zigbee chip being used is thread capable, but they do not have anything in the firmware for it (yet?). I could be wrong here, not a zigbee chip expert.

I think it was in the live stream they said the hub will support Matter at some point, but Matter can run on different layers including Wifi.

I think we are just going to have to wait and see how the Matter support shakes out.

There is a nice little infographic in this article that I found to refresh my memory on the networking layers and how Matter and Thread can work together. What is Matter? Ā |Ā  Google Home Developers

1 Like

Read all the details:

1 Like

My name is Steve and I am an Hubitat-oholic.... :woozy_face:

8 Likes

Hi Steve!

6 Likes

Just curious and maybe I missed it somewhere... But can the WiFi be set as redundant to the Ethernet? I just had a case lately where it seemed like my primary C-5 was dropping out but it turns out it might have been the network switch it is on. WiFi from all my access points would have left it accessible via a different IP at least.

They said on the live stream that using an Ethernet connection would automatically disable the WiFi chip... I wonder if the Hub Information driver by @thebearmay would be able to see/control the WiFi chip, so you could have a rule to enable it and wirelessly connect should an issue occur with the Ethernet connection...?

You can have both running. Its is not a failover, they would both be connected. I am not sure what impact that will have or how things will decide what route to take. I had both connected for a short time while testing the Wifi on boarding, switched to Wifi only, then back to ethernet and disconnected the Wifi. I think the Wifi only shuts itself off once there is ethernet IF its not configured to connect to an AP.

If there are endpoints to enabled/disable the Wifi a driver or app could certainly be made to turn it on as a failover.

1 Like

lol, Iā€™m still dithering ā€¦. Weā€™ve got a big interstate holiday coming up in a few weeks and the MoF is watching our spending like a Hawk! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

annie GIF

4 Likes

I bought my first (of 2) C-5 hubs in 2019, so I reckon itā€™s time for an upgrade.

4 Likes

I bought a 3rd c7 only a few months ago, I suspect my wife still doesnā€™t know about that one. :rofl:

5 Likes

Ima gonna PM her about it now... :rofl:

5 Likes

Can the wifi in the hub communicate with a wifi device, like by Kasa, directly? That is, if the modem and main wifi router were down?

No. It's simply for lan connection. It does not connect directly to end devices. You would still need a router for that.

2 Likes

Hey now... that is a feature request to have the C-8 offer it's WiFi if it has a wired connection also. That way all my IOT WiFi devices can be connected directly to the C-8. I am sure Hubitat would love that request and it would be super easy to implement.

:grin:

2 Likes

If you haven't seen the Disney commercial for this screen capture, it's classic!!!

3 Likes