The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

For a dummy like me, what does zigbee 3.0 get us?

I thought the C7 was already Zigbee v3?

No, C-7 isn't.

nope

Mesh is way better for 1.

Zigbee 3.0 is the unification of Zigbee application standards

• Zigbee 3.0 defines the base device behavior for all devices in a Zigbee PRO network
  • Environment required for the base device
  • Initialization procedures of the base device
  • Commissioning procedures of the base device
  • Security procedures of the base device
  • Supports a uniform application space as the concept of profiles is no longer applicable
  • Provides enhanced network features
5 Likes

also watch Connect: Why Zigbee 3.0? - YouTube

I am pretty sure C-8 will solve these problems.

2 Likes

Yup it will... all those issues relate to the 3.0 security layer and the newer low power communications which is probably why the device wont stay connected.

1 Like

Will the free Z Wave migration from C7 to C8 apply regardless of where the C8 is purchased from, or only if shipped directly from Hubitat? As I’m in the UK I bought my C7 from Vesternet.

I’m sorry I caught you mid sip. I hope it was something good though.

1 Like

Steps change a bit if you do/do not have Hub Protect. Hub protect by default allows you to do the migration. If you don't, on the Backup and Restore page you should see a new special option to Create a cloud backup for C-8 migration. If you see that you're good to go.

They mention "qualifying C-7 hubs" but don't specify exactly what that means. I know in the live stream they called out the older C-5 variants without an internal radio wouldn't be able to migrate, but nothing was said about specific C-7s

CPU and Memory are the same. Honestly there is little reason to increase that. On the other hand the radios are far more powerful. 50% more at least.

I have over 200 physical devices and a shite ton of apps and rules and suffer no slow downs on either the c7 or the c8. Many here have far more than I do

6 Likes

Doesn't matter where you get it from.

1 Like

The only issue is if your were trying to lets say upgrade from a one region to another, that is not possible. Has to be the same region.

Any c5 or c7 will migrate zigbee and z-wave to the c8. The C4 WILL NOT.

Believe the C5 needs to be the North American version (internal Zwave)...

2 Likes

Mike stated that it was only the internal radio version of the C-5 on Hubitat Live.

It sounded like the Zigbee radio output was adjustable. How does that work, and are you seeing a major difference? BTW, I ordered mine about 5 minutes into the Hubitat Live stream last night. 2 day shipping!

For those of us that did upgrade our C7s with @lewis.heidrick’s recommended antennas are those worth using on the new C8 or are the included antennas good enough?

3 Likes

There is an option on the zigbee details page to adjust it. Think it defaults to 12 (C7 and below top out at 8) and that should be plenty for most particularly with the addition of the external antenna.

1 Like

The testing we have done internally, and with hardware beta testers, you shouldn’t need to change them.. But if you want to tinker, it is standard rp-sma connectors.

7 Likes

Thanks - I just received an e mail from Vesternet announcing they’ve very limited stock and will sell out within a day - bugger!