The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

I doubt it, but like so many others here, I've bought a POE adapter for each of my hubs. (5) Given the probability that I'd have to pay $ for a Hubitat built in POE compatibility vs buying a POE adapter, I don't mind the POE adapter. In other words, I recognize that having POE built in wouldn't be free. And that EVERYONE would have to pay that increment vs me and my 5 hubs. Nice, yes, require, no. The one thing I do not like about POE adapters is that the power wire is an inch longer than the ethernet wire. It's not Neat Looking :smiley:

7 Likes

YES! Drives me crazy....and that I'll probably need another adapter for the new hub...

1 Like

Who has 2 thumbs and a C-8 on the way?

:+1::grinning::+1: This guy!

8 Likes

Me too. Now have to research migration.

2 Likes

It's incredibly easy

1 Like

Oh nice, it's live on the site! It comes with the external antennas we've all be asking for! :sunglasses:

I wonder if USB-C has replaced that abomination MicroB for Power?

EDIT: Details are up:

6 Likes

Yes, it is USB-C power now. Same 1A requirement.

6 Likes

With gold hardware. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With a WI-Fi radio?

3 Likes

WiFi is built-in…

3 Likes

There is hinting that “it’s more powerful”, but I haven’t seen any details regarding memory/CPU compared to C7.

3 Likes

And just to head off the inevitable rumors, no, the new C-8 is not shipping from @lewis.heidrick's home. [Which should be obvious by the way because they're not full wave antennas.] :rofl:

11 Likes

Yes, even with the built Wifi, still only needs 1A supply.
I would assume they just changed to USB-C since it is more prevalent now, and also more robust.

2 Likes

Well done, you! Made me choke on a sip of whisky!

11 Likes

I see cloud backup is offered for a one time migration.
What exactly is backup for the radios, that Hub Protect provides?

1 Like

The zwave radio has always been backed up on C7's and transferable, but it sounds like the Zigbee backup and Migration is new.

1 Like

But, you have to pay for the Hub Protect subscription, right? What does backing up the radio actually do? I'm unclear on that.

From what I understand with Zigbee is that you still needed to go around to all your Zigbee devices and force pairing AFTER you restore a backup to the hub. Unless this has now changed with the C-8?

Regarding Z-Wave you cannot backup the Z-Wave device without Hub Protect, only your automations.

1 Like

The radios have internal NVM for the devices. This needs to be copied to the new hub's radios for the devices to be moved. This is in addition to moving the database over.

6 Likes

A normal backup only includes your "devices" list (among everything else on the hub database). It does not include the actual Zwave and Zigbee nodes from their respective details pages.

If you reset the radios and did a restore from a regular backup, you would have to join all the devices again. A cloud backup with the radio info, all the devices will just fall into place and you do not have to pair them again.

The Zwave is the most critical because without all the node info when you pair the devices again they would create new device entries. Zigbee on the other hand if you pair the same devices back it will attach to the old device entry again.

2 Likes