The cat stole my sensor!

This is really more of a funny post than anything... but I thought... heck- maybe someone will have an idea!! :slight_smile:

So I have a Samsung motion sensor somewhere in the house. It WAS on my desk when I went to bed but this morning... all that is left of it is the battery lid... the sensor is GONE!!

I suspect little kitty decided to bat it around the basement or maybe even haul it back upstairs. I cant find it anywhere BUT ... I know it is in the house and still connected. Sigh...

How ever could I find this thing without tearing the house apart?

Maybe I can map out my mesh and see what other device it is closest too? Would that work?

Any other ideas from the crowd of brainiacs out there?

Enjoy your saturday!!

5 Likes

Not sure here but I though motion sensors could be triggered by a flash light, maybe even a room light. If so, wait until its dark and go room by room until it trips.

"..... if the world were flat, cats would have knocked everything off by now...."

1 Like

Good idea. And yes... cats definitely provide evidence that the earth is not flat.

1 Like

Ask the cat where he/she put it. Cats never lie.

1 Like

I think the same thing happened to one of my Strips Comfort Sensors and it's still reporting the temperature so I know it's somewhere in the house...

Is it reporting between 100 and 102 F? (normal internal cat temp)

LOL, it disappeared about 3 months ago so I really hope not...

1 Like

Keep live logging open (probably on a phone or tablet) as you walk around the house, assuming description logging is turned on. Then see where you are if--or hopefully when--you see it register motion. Should at least narrow your search down.

Oh, and maybe make sure the cat isn't wandering around where they could set it off instead of you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the helpful hints. So far I think I narrowed it down to the basement at least... based on reported temperature. It must be face down b/c I can't get any motion sensed.

Someday we'll find it!!!

got a space heater? Put into each quadrant and see which quadrant gets the temp increase :smiley:

6 Likes

THAT is GENIUS!

Lol clever.