Text to Speech

TTS posts all seem to be a few years old. Is there a newer answer on the most convenient way to get Text to Speech?
I have a C8 hub and an Echo but would be happy to buy an Ikea speaker.
I tried the Echo Speaks app but the different directions I saw along with my newbie-ness and I couldn't get anything to work. Is that still the preferred approach?

Thanks

I’ve been using Echo Speaks for years now and it is still my preferred approach.

It should also work on Ikea/Sonos speakers as well as Google home devices. A way to use TTS on Home Pods has also recently been put in place, so there are a few options available.

I'm replacing my Ikea speakers and switching over to Apple HomePods using the Airplay Integration (Beta).

I see @Sebastien beat me to it.

1 Like

Was it ever the preferred approach? :smiley: This is all a matter of personal preference, and it's likely to vary for everyone. Of course, if you have Alexa devices, don't mind running custom code on your hub, and have a way to run the sever (on other hardware), it is a logical choice.

But if you want something built-in, the options are currently Sonos, Chromecast, or AirPlay. Of the three, Sonos (which Ikea Symfonisk speakers are compatible with) is the only one that is not considered beta if that matters to you. Personally, I'm using mostly Alexa (mostly via other means but also some with the below--read on), though I have a few things through Sonos (just don't like how it interrupts music) and have also experimented with AirPlay/HomePods (tempting, but there is a few-second delay that doesn't matter for a lot of things but is annoying for a few in my case). Again, your preferences may vary.

Alternatively, if you want to use Alexa but with built-in methods, you can create virtual devices on Hubitat. Expose these devices to Alexa via the skill, then create a Routine on Alexa "triggered" by that device and add TTS as an action there. The downside (aside from having to use a clunky and less powerful Alexa interface to create the automation...) is that this can only be done with phrases specified ahead of time, when the Routine is created, not arbitrary text from a rule or other app on your hub.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the fast replies. I like to avoid the word Beta, and I see a nice video telling me how to integrate the Sonos. I'll get one ordered.

Wow. My speaker arrived today. 10 minutes later I was using it in my rules. With tech in general, I always expect problems so this was pretty amazing.

Thanks everyone

2 Likes

I use Homepod/Homepod mini's. They've been pretty good. Also great for Multiroom Music.

Which Sonos did you get? Im thinking of getting a couple for just TTS, but i see several options.

For TTS, I'd go with the IKEA model. Much cheaper, and sound is good.

2 Likes

Yes, I did the IKEA SYMFONISK WiFi bookshelf speaker smart/gen 2. I thought they'd put it on sale as soon as I bought mine, but not yet. They must know I need another one. $140

1 Like

IKEA’s Symfonisk speakers are made by Sonos, and work great with Hubitat’s TTS.

1 Like

I am finding the Sonos One gen 2 online for 175 (35 more than the symfonisk). Do you think its worth the extra money? I dont plan on streaming music to it, but maybe once in a while. If sound quality is noticeable, then maybe its worth it.

I had looked at this: Sonos One SL vs IKEA SYMFONISK Bookshelf Side-by-Side Speaker Comparison - RTINGS.com
Which gives a clear answer of "it depends." All I cared about was TTS, so did the IKEA.

2 Likes

i use echo speaks and before that alexa tts.. i do have nas's to update cookie.. as said setup is a little complex but works well. especially if you have speakers in other locations/houses (where there is no hub') that you want announcements on.

ie i still get announcements when at our condo/cottage that for instance there is a water leak or wine fridge is too warm etc. (first world problems).

It looks like the sonos one sl and the sonos one gen 2 are the same speaker except the gen 2 adds voice control, and it has a hardwired microphone interrupt button on it. Which is nice. Its one of the many things about our google home devices that i did not like (microphone off is software controlled).

Maybe i will go for the sonos one gen 2 and just leave the microphone off most of the time. We do see a need for voice assistant in the kitchen every once in a while.

1 Like

How’s the delay? The HomePods have a delay of several seconds before it starts speaking.

We use ikea for tts, but allso a barking dog when someone comes to the door, as well as different alarm sireens for burglary, fire water etc

There is hardly any delay whatsoever when using a Sonos speaker for TTS. Much snappier than using Airplay to a HomePod.

1 Like

This speaker supports a voice assistant (like Alexa).

This is a closer match to the Ikea Symfonisk bookshelf speaker - they both don't have a mic.

1 Like

Echo, Sonos, Homekit, and google all have the same slight delay it seems