Text incoming alarm device

does anyone know of a wifi device that can received a text or email) to be used as an alarm?

I have a remote C8, on another public network at a remote location, I need to be notified (alarm) from that remote location to my home. But not a cell phone, I need the alarm device not to be depended on a cell phone being turned on (maybe smart relay?)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advanced

You could set up two hubitats connected via Hub Connect and share the notification device with the other hubitat. Lets say a TTS speaker. So anything that happens that could be the notification device.

1 Like

does the Hub Connect require traffic between the hubs? My remote located is on a limited cell data plan

Yes.... There are no on demand options...

Rule Machine can trigger a URL endpoint upon a trigger condition that you define as your “alarm”. That URL endpoint could be a Maker API URL on your primary hub to a specific device you can then do whatever to alert you. Obviously both hubs will now be dependent on one another.

1 Like

yea, that my thought was the hubs would be depended on communication. In my case, the communication on my remote site is spotty at times. however, text seems to be very reliable because it is push out and done, but the issue is Im depended on my cell being on and not silenced

question, can my hub at home just receive an text or email from the remote C8? Then use a rule at on my home hub to energize a relay?

Your thoughts?

No way for the hub to receive a text or email, but if you had the capability to send one of those you should also have the capability of generating a HTTP post/get to an endpoint (MakerAPI, RM, or custom) on the other hub through its cloud connection.

1 Like

Is this maybe of use:

Or:

Either way you'll need a SIM.
But even in Canada you can get a basic plan for under $10/mth. :wink:

Does your cell data plan include text? If not trying to go through the 10DLC certification process for Twilio or another SMS provider is going to be laborious and expensive.

Yeah I mean for text you would need your personal cell phone but I don't know of any announcing device you could text to.

Technically Twilio or Plivo have a very cool workflow engine that can be invoked by an incoming SMS which can then call a URL say to Maker API to then announce something.

My community drivers even support voice calling but I just can no longer support them because of the 10DLC requirements as I no longer use either provider.

1 Like