Temperature Sensor for Wood Stove

I have a wood stove insert in my fireplace, I'm trying to locate a temperature sensor that I can mount on the wood stove that is compatible with Google Assistant. I will then bring that information over to HA and control the fan based off of stove and room temperature. If there isn't any sensor available does anyone have an idea as to how to accomplish this?

Welcome to HE @deckerjs57

I don't know about you, but I run my stove at 400-450 degrees. I am not sure there is a temp sensor that can take that much heat without melting. I didn't think about grill sensor good approach.

My solution is to compare temps at different levels. I have an Aoetec multi sensor on a top book shelf as close to the ceiling as I can. A Samsung button on my desk (to control the lights) at about 3 feet from the floor that also gives temp. My rule is

If the ceiling sensor is 5 degrees warmer than the desk turn the fan on high.

If the ceiling is less then 3 degrees warmer, turn the fan off.

I also have sensor on the second floor with a fan in the hallway. Similar rules turn it of and on.

Worked well and the wife does not have to wake up to fans blowing cold air at her.

I don't know how you would get the information out of Google Assistant for use with HE but one option that is available would be to use a BBQ thermometer like FireBoard which does have an API. A Driver/App could be written to pull in the probe temperature. Then you could run rules based off that.

You need a thermocouple. They are capable of measuring that kind of heat. I just made several using @ogiewon Hubduino project. The K type thermocouple devices I used (for the grill and outdoor oven) can measure something like 1500 degrees.

3 Likes

These come on a number of flavors. The single relay module is a bit cheaper and also supports the temp probe.

1 Like

No sensors from HE can be sent to Google Home. So, there is no solution that Hubitat can provide.

Then ask the question on the HA forum. This is HE.

I don't do it through google assistant instead directly through HE, but I have a Iris V1 Contact sensor mounted underneath the mantle over my wood burning fireplace. I use the temp from that sensor (must be above 87 degrees) for the fan to turn on, and a rule that uses the average of my house temperature to turn the fan/blower on.

Basically:

If the fireplace temp is above 87 and the house average is below 69 degrees turn on the blower.

If the fireplace temp is below 87 (add wood notification) or the house average is above 70 turn off the blower.

This I question if it was meant HA = Home Automation or HA = Home Assistant. This is too confusing as HA is common for Home Automation but many use it for HASS which to me anyways is wrong.

I'm going to assume Home Assistant because "bring into home automation" doesn't make sense. "Bring into Home Assistant" does make sense.

True... dunno if English is their native language either... either way not disagreeing about taking it to the HASS forum if that's the end target.

I use one of these (pick your own temperature range) wired to a contact sensor (across the reed switch), the contact sensor is on the HE. I have the sensor screwed to the outlet duct of my pellet stove. When the hot air blows and up to the temperature of the switch, it closes and lets HE know. I have my ceiling fan and 2 other fans come on to help circulate the air. When the stove shuts down and cools off the fans stop as well. I bought a 10 pack a few years ago for another project for a few bucks from china. There are all sorts of temperature ranges on flea-bay. -Joel

1 Like

Have used similar for heat applications and freeze applications using sensor/switches from these folks. Been around awhile selling into many channels. Reliable designs & set points ...and most importantly their engineers will actually take the time to talk to you about your application ...even if it only means a few items in sales. Like most of us they like seeing the diversity & creativity in applications.

I'm actually glad you posted about these (reminded me) as years ago I found them reliable in harsh applications where tripping at +/- 5 degrees was plenty adequate.

Wiring up to a cheap Visonics MCT-340E for the telemetry might be a perfect marriage assuming you could keep the heat at a distance from the MCT.

http://senasys.com/thermostat-switches

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.