Temperature / Humidity Sensors

@JasonJoel
If I could ask, did you replace your Xiaomi humidity sensors?
With what?
Are you happy with them?

Still using the Xiaomi. I decided to keep them, and stick them on a 2nd hub by themselves.

Much cheaper than replacing them, and they are quarantined, so no arguments with support about unsupported devices doing bad things to my main hub.

I recently bought an Aqara/Xiaomi humidity sensor for use in the bathroom to trigger the fan when using the shower. It's a really neat little product and seems to be working pretty well in partnership with a zigbee relay that turns on when humidity is >85% and off when less than 85%.

A query though if anybody knows: I'm not sure how often the sensor takes and transmits a humidity/temperature reading, and I can't immediately see any way to change how frequently it communicates.

In practice it seems to be working very effectively as when I start the shower it's off, it's always on by the time I finish, and it turns itself off a little while later. However, is there a risk that the rule I have set up is congesting the system with humidity readings 10 times per second?

Your sensor is reporting ten times per second? If so, that is not normal and I would think it could create problems. It is my understanding, these sensors report with a significant change. I use Aqara Temp/Humidity sensors in my showers for the same thing, triggering and turning the fan off at 75%.

Here's a partial snapshot of me in the shower yesterday. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes. That execution frequency would be an issue for any sensor, could be system performance impacting, and should be avoided if possible.

1 Like

I use exactly the same setup at present: Temp/Humidity Aqara sensor, and a Zigbee switch.
May I recommend using the Smart Humidity App:(see settings for the Aqara sensor at the end of the posts):

Fab, that's helpful... I wasn't sure whether the sensor was reporting 10 times per second, but just wasn't clear how frequently it reports and/or what triggers a report.

If it is "significant change" triggering a report it would be interesting to know what counts as "significant change". From your logs, it doesn't appear to be a consistent humidity change or time.

1 Like

I have tried without success to find the post in this forum where @veeceeoh explained the reporting frequency of these sensors. It's really hard to figure out a pattern by looking at the logs. It may be a significant change in temp., humidity, or either. I can even see what appears to be a 30 sec. interval during rapid increases of both. I just don't know for sure.
The good thing is, my fan turns on about 30 secs.-1 min after I start showering and turns off about 10 mins after I finish.:grin:

Most of these drivers don't allow setting a Humidity reference reading for calibration with a hygrometer. @mike.maxwell - any chance of adding that option?

I've thought about it, but in my testing none of the sensors I've tested to date have had repeatable readings...

You mean none of them appear to be accurate?

well yes, but more importantly the readings weren't repeatable, accuracy is one thing, repeatability is another.
If a given sensors measurement isn't repeatable, calibrating it does you no good.

I guess I'm a little confused - what do you mean by repeatable? For instance, if I measure the room I'm in with a hygrometer, it shows 55% RH. If I were able to set a Zigbee humidity sensor to that reference %, then they would match - so where does repeatability come in?

When the next reading 15 seconds later says 54%, and the one 15 seconds after that says 57%.

1 Like

Ah okay. Because humidity is more like an amorphous blob of vapor hovering in mid air. If I stand really still and hold my breath I can get my hygrometer to hold within 1%.

I have one of the typical T/H displays in the kitchen on a wall 15 feet across from the dishwasher... opening the dishwasher door after a cycle will cause its readings to rise within seconds. These things are really sensitive.

Tony,

What device (manufacturer/model) are you using for the sensor?

Bill

That particular sensor is an old Airguide. The only smart devices I have that can sense humidity are the sensors that Iman Iharyadi makes himself and has occasionally offered for sale here.

Thanks you for the info. I'm in line to pickup multi sensors when he has more available.

I use both Xioami and Konke temp.humidity sensors, and mine respond to humidity changes VERY quickly. I use them in my bathrooms for vent automation, among other places.

1 Like