Temperature / Humidity Sensors

In my quest to get rid of user drivers and unsupported devices, I have a question on temperature and humidity sensors.

Are there any recommended by Hubitat / known to work with in-box drivers. Battery powered.

1. Aeotec multisensors are an option, but I've found battery life to be sub-par, and they are big. Ugly on the wall, unless you recess mount, but then it is even MORE expensive (and a lot of drywall cutting). Expensive.
  2. NYCE NCZ-3041-HA. On supported list, but I have no experience with battery life (specs say 'up to' 5 years though - encouraging). Expensive, but I could be convinced if battery life is good. Do you have any of these @mike.maxwell ? I know you're a NYCE lover. Supported list says it is a "Garage Door (Tilt) Sensor", but does the in-box driver report temp & humidity, too, from the device?
    EDIT: Never mind, I see it does in another thread (even if humidity and temp don't report units... :slight_smile:) .
  3. Monoprice Mutlisensor. Unknown size, Good price. Unknown battery performance, but it looks a lot like the v1 Zooz 4-in-1 w/AA batteries. Those has many reports of bad battery life.
  4. Zooz 4-in-1 v2. Size unknown (@agnes.zooz is there a published size for these? I didn't see it in the manual. EDIT: Found it on another web search: * Dimensions: 2.25" x 2.25" x 1") . Good price. Unknown battery performance, but many complaints on a quick google search (although it is a little hard to tell v1 vs v2 complaints in some of the threads).

Other?

2 Likes

I personally love the NYCE sensors. Extremely fast and reliable motion sensors with accurate temp and humidity readings. I have a few of the Ceiling motion sensors and they are perfect. Of all of the devices I have these are the best motion sensors and well worth their cost.

2 Likes

I’ve been using a few everspring ST-814s for years and they’re very accurate for temperature (after calibrating), a little less so for humidity. I’m not sure if they’re still easily found online, but they did pair easily with HE after I moved them from ST.

Thanks for all the feedback. As replacing my Xiaomi temp/humidity sensors is a $600-700 proposition, any real world info I get helps a lot.

I will likely buy a few devices to review in-hand before replacing en masse.

BTW why you are you going to replace Xiaomi sensors? I've o lot of them and they are decently working. They need only to be "calibrated" (that is find the correct offset value) with a good thermometer and igrometer.

The first two of these I bought the battery that shipped with them lasted only 1 month, The second two I bought and after changing the batteries on the first two, the batteries still show 100% after 2 months. (CR123 battery)

These are pretty good units, my only complaint is (like most zooz products apparently) they seem to be pretty chatty devices in the logs, (firmware update may fix this)

2 Likes

I'm not a hundred percent sure I am going to replace them. But after having some hub lockups I'm looking at options for removing any user code I can reasonably remove.

For these devices, it may make more sense to buy a dedicated hub for $99, and put all my Xiaomi devices on that single hub. Then at least they are isolated.

1 Like

If you can find them, the Iris "v3" motion sensors (model IL07_1) also do temperature and humidity. They were, of course, rather short lived and since discontinued with the shutting down of Iris, but you can still find some used for reasonable prices (or even new).

I have an Aoetec multisensor and agree with your assessment: definitely eats batteries the fastest (even when I use two), and it's expensive if you don't need its other features. And if you're primarily using it for motion, performance is quite slow.

I haven't used the Monoprice Multisensor that you mentioned, but hardware-wise it is identical to the v1 of the Zooz 4-in-1 you mentioned. They have since revised the Zooz hardware slightly (moved to lithium batteries instead of AAAs, so they should last longer), and I suspect they've always had different firmware but the v2 is supposed to respond to motion faster (hard to get worse than the v1...unless you're the other Monoprice sensor that doesn't do humidity). I wasn't impressed with the v1, but I can't say how the v2 compares in other aspects since I haven't used it.

@JasonJoel that sound reasonable and wise. I did'nt experienced any lockup (I have a dozen of aqara sensors), but I'm quite new to HE and have still few devices on it.
When I'll reach e stable configuration I'll get a second hub to segregate critical device/code.
I would like to experience NYCE but I cannot find an EU distributor (amazon.com does'nt deliver to Italy that item)

A third option is to write an integration with the Xiaomi hub. I have one of the hubs sitting on my desk - I just don't have time to write the integration.

That is not a real alternative for me. Same as having an ST hub. I'm trying to stay as local as possible. I still need a a voice interface as Alexa, but that is the maximum I can accept for now...
Even more I'm going to replace my inwall smart switches (I like them) as they require an internet connection. I've got some Shelly. They can work even without net subscription (that is required at the beginning)

Well a proper xiaomi hub integration would still be local... Similar to how home assistant did the Xiaomi hub integration. No internet connectivity needed for device updates/control, although I think it IS needed for adding new devices (?).

Battery life is approximately twice as long on VER. 2.0 as it was on VER. 1.0. It should last around 12 months with regular traffic and default settings.

1 Like

Thanks!! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. V2 definitely sounds better than V1!

1 Like

You can always decrease the amount of reports in advanced settings. A 4-in-1 sensor or a Power Strip with a few outlets are essentially 4 / 6 devices in 1 so they'll send more reports than a simple Z-Wave product. They're all certified according to the latest Z-Wave specification.

If you're seeing excess reports on the sensor, please get in touch with our support to let us know and we'll see how this can be fixed!

In a perfect world I would turn off motion reporting altogether, as I have jasco motion switched in the wall.

But still need humidity and temperature in a timely fashion.

Looks like the closest I could get to that is setting the trigger interval to 255, and the sensitivity to very low. That might work, though.

Here's a dark horse candidate someone on the Homeseer forums turned me on to:

It is Nexia branded, but they also plan to sell direct at some point. Even though I'm sure there is no driver in-box, looking at the supported command classes and parameters it would be trivial to write a user driver.

I understand that each of the 4 functions will report, I'm referring to each function has numerous log reports ON EACH function. And I don't see anything in the settings to correct this. This happens on all 4 sensors I own, so I would assume it's a firmware issue.

This is just the log for 1 second of motion.

zooz1

zooz2

In comparison this is the motion log reports from the Hue Outdoor motion Sensor. 1 entry for active one entry for inactive

hue

That does seem oddly/unnecessarily chatty! That certainly can't be good for battery life.

1 Like

This doesn't look right and we've never seen this before on any other platform. We revise a lot of logs for this sensor and have verified that it will only send one motion notification every 15 seconds by default (or 1 notification per the interval setting). We'll look into this to see if it's caused by the device in any way and will keep you posted.

1 Like