Temperature & Humidity Sensor: Recommendation Help Please

ya may try it thanks looks good but worred it doesnt specify a supported temp range.

• LCD DISPLAY AND ACCURATE MEASUREMENT: It is a ZigBee Smart Thermometer Hygrometer equipped with high-definition LCD display, ensure better and quickly readings of temperature, humidity and battery power information. Refresh every 20s make it more accurate, with Β±1℃ accuracy in temperature from -10℃~50℃ (14℉~122℉) and Β±2 % in humidity from 0-95%. Indoor use only.

thanks couldnt find it.. looks good enough for a wine fridge but not a freezer.

but accurrancy at that range also doesnt mean it will work reliably and the low end of the range.. will pick one up cheap enough on amazon with the 5% off. and see. finally some with better batteries than those stupid coin cells.

1 Like

Interesting. Might not go low enough for the freezer (-2F typical).
Plus, humidity probably no good in a plastic bag.
Don't know how long it would last without one.
I think I'll put it in a plastic bag, put it in the freezer, and see if it can measure the temp.

1 Like

The device watch begins:

1 Like

I can see the display really sucking down the battery juice.

That's not good. No.option to turn it off. What about in device specs/parameters.

It's zigbee, so no parameters, right?
Is there a driver more advanced than the generic one it auto selected?
I just got the thing this afternoon.

It seems to have stabilized near the Hue motion sensor.
Display still working.

1 Like

I think I'm going to discontinue the test.
Who would need a display for a sensor inside a freezer?
I'm bringing it back to the basement.
Plus, @mike.maxwell says they eat batteries.
Good thing they're AAA's, although I don't know how good the OEM batteries are, lol.

Are they lithium?

Iris v2's have worked well for me... both freezer and fridge..

1 Like

As I said, the Hue motion has been going on for a very long time in the freezer.
I have a notification for temperature, but I just now thought about using the lux capability to notify if the door has been open too long. Perhaps that would be more of an early warning of a door ajar than just temperature.
edit: Maybe motion could also be used, somehow. It shows when the door has been moved, anyway.

Contact sensor at the top of the fridge where no one notices it?

Not to derail this thread too much, but...

Lux reporting was turned off on the Hue motion in my freezer, so I just turned it on.
Default threshold was 10 lux; I made it 1 lux.

Setup is pretty dependent on the fridge though.
My double door model closes the doors, sort of automatically when they get to a certain point.
A trip to my Home Depot has revealed that the majority of fridges don't do that anymore-you have to push it deliberately to close. Samsung is on brand that comes to mind.

Also, on my fridge, the freezer door has to be open an inch or so before the light comes on.
I thought the 1 lux setting might have caught some ambient room light, but not in my initial test.

Anyway, sorry for the diversion.

Or that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most fridges beep if door left open so a hubitat sensor would seem to be superfluous.

Me I'm more concerned about temps. We lost a freezer full of meat (about $1000 worth) because the unit died after less than a year... We didn't know for 4 days.... Soup and stench is what that makes...
gross james van der beek GIF

1 Like

And the sad part is that you were probably home and could've done something about it.

1 Like

Yep