Temperature & Humidity Sensor: Recommendation Help Please

Hi,

After doing some research on this forum and outside of it, I could use a recommendation please. I can’t seem to find a consensus on this topic in regards to reliability for the sensor itself and reliable connectivity with the Hubitat platform. Is there a sensor that reports BOTH temperature AND humidity you feel works well by itself (reliability wise) AND with the Hubitat platform?

I have some collectibles I keep indoors that I need to monitor the temperature and humidity with - refrigeration is a factor.

Thanks in advance…

If you are happy to spend some $$, I use SensorPush sensors and am very happy with them. You need to purchase their hub to get the readings in via my driver for HE, but the sensors can be used on their own without the hub, relying on devices being within Bluetooth range to receive the readings and store them.

There are a ton of them.

For zwave the Zooz 4-in-1, Zooz ZSE44, aeotec multisensor, etc all work well.

There are a bunch of zigbee ones too, but that isn't my area of expertise.

Battery life on any of them depends on the signal strength/mesh strength, and reporting frequency. More frequent reports = less battery life.

1 Like

Just realized the link I posted was no good.

Here's a better one. Just be sure to pick the ZigBee option. I take it the local display is what you meant by

1 Like

SONOFF SNZB-02 ZigBee Mini Indoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor for Checking the Room Climate, SONOFF ZigBee Bridge Required, Indoor Thermometer Hygrometer with Alert, Works with Alexa, Google Home

https://a.co/d/22ZhjoV

I have 6 of these. The driver from Oh-La Labs works great

3 Likes

How long does the battery last on those SONOFF SNZB-02 Zigbee devices?

I have several of the Zooz ZSE44 sensors that work for both temperature and humidity and I can confirm they work well with Hubitat. I tested them against each other and against other sensors I have for accuracy and they appear to be well calibrated.

Also they are on sale right now for $21 a piece:

1 Like

There's also the Ecowitt sensors that connect to their own hub as part of their weather station system. The hub itself is a temp+humidity sensor and you can add up to a total of 8. I'm now using these around our property and much prefer them over others due to reliability, low cost, and ease of use. They even have a little LCD screen on them to show you the values. @sburke781 has an excellent driver for them that allows local (not cloud) connection to Hubitat.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, those things :grinning: Thanks @Madcodger. I should remember to mention them in conversations like this more often...

2 Likes

NYCE.... Motion, Temp, Humidity

https://www.nycesensors.com/product/ceiling-motion-sensor

2 Likes

I have a few Centralite Temp and Humidy sensors around my house. Centralite made the original SmartThings and Iris sensors.

1 Like

I use these. THIRDREALITY Zigbee Temperature and Humidity Sensor with Digital LCD Display, ZigBee Hub Required, App Records, Remote Monitoring and Smart Home Automation, AAA Batteries Included. Not only do they report the temp and humidity to the hub, they also have a display which I find very helpful. They are only $25.00.

I just ordered one.
Do they link up pretty good?

I have six of them as well. I bought them mid-November. So far, they are doing well and very consistent regarding their reporting of temperature and humidity. Also, it appears that the batteries will be long-lasting as they are all still at 100%.

1 Like

So far, it appears that the batteries will be long-lasting as they are all still at 100% after four months.

My only advise would be to get a least 2 different brands and use them both to monitor your collections. Very easy to create rules that can monitor them and notify you if they fall out of the ranges you set.

Also, make sure to monitor they are still reporting. Create another rule to make sure the temperature is changing a little (set device to report tenths of a degree) every so often. I have found this is the best way to make sure the battery device is still actively reporting. I have seen where "Last Activity" is current but looking at event history temperature has not reported in days. Some device drivers do a better job with this but for me, my rules checking the last time the temperature has been read is what I care to know.

I use WebCore for most of this but the same can be done using Rule Manager.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually $5 coupon right now on Amazon. So only $20. I bought one to try even though I do still like my Centralite sensors too.

Just want to point out the OPs requirement of working without the hub. Most of these don't.

I stand corrected below.

Not sure if you meant refrigeration literally or not, but be aware of the batteries used if you are going to be using them in a cold environment.

I have some older Z-Wave temperature sensors in my refrigerator and freezer, and I seem to average about a year with their CR123A batteries.

I trialed a Zigbee sensor with the CR2450 battery, and while I nixed it for other reasons, the battery life seemed to not be as robust, just going by the battery level reported. (Which, as we know, may not always be accurate.)

TL;DR: Try to get the largest battery capacity that you can if these are going to be in a colder environment.

Sorry, let me clarify and I'll update my original post. What I meant by this is that the hardware itself is reliable and accurate. These humidity and temperature sensors have been a real mixed bag for me based on my research inside and outside this forum.

Encouraged to see the feedback and discussion that has been generated by this topic so far. Some of these device never came up in my research. Thank you.

1 Like