Tapo Dimmer connected but red x

Hubitat C-5

Trying to set up a new Tapo dimmer. The device was added using matter but now shows up with a red X in device details. I have disabled and re-enabled and get the check, but then immediately it reverts to red x. Any help?

Please provide your hub model (C7, C8, etc.) and its platform version from Settings>Hub Details.

Check out the following post for help troubleshooting problems and gathering details that will help others to identify and solve the problem you are experiencing: ‼ READ FIRST - Before Posting in Get Help

I assume you mean the Matter Details page?

Are you experiencing any problems? If not, I'd just ignore this status. It seems to be some sort of best guess, perhaps a value provided by the Matter SDK, but is not always reflective of real-world device functionality.

Sorry.. I should have been more clear. Yes the details page.

The device has never worked. I purchased it new. Connected to it using my tp-link app. Which I believe allowed me to connect it to the hubitat using matter. But when attempting to turn it on and off in devices it doesn't work. I also included it in my Amazon Echo Skill and it doesn''t work through Alexa either. Maybe uninstall and reinstall? This is my first time with a matter device.

Also the device works perfectly using the tp-link app. on/off and dimming as expected.

Interesting. If you aren't using it in any apps/automations yet (if you are either remove it or swap it out with a different device like a virtual one you temporarily add), I'd remove it from Hubitat and try again -- either re-adding it by putting into pairing mode from Alexa (assuming that was the Matter controller you originally used) or removing it from Alexa (again, assuming this is what you used--or maybe the Tapo app if you didn't?), factory reset the device, and try again.

Since you appear to at least be using the Tapo app, you might want to check if there are any firmware updates for the device. I'm not sure about this one in particular, but sometimes vendors have released fixes for Matter-related problems, as the standard is still fairly new and oddities like these have popped up.

Expanding on the correct response from @bertabcd1234:

Tapo devices do not install into the matter-verse via the TP-Link phone app. The commissioning must be through Apple Home, Alexa, or Google Assistant (examples). If you have one of these,

If you do not have a matter commissioning device, the device should work with the community app. See instructions link at : [RELEASE] TP-LINK TAPO Plug, Switch, Bulb, Hub and Robovac Integration

(Disclaimer: I am the developer of the Community Tapo integration.)

1 Like